Handbooks & Resources > Handbook Discussion

The Archery Handbook discussion

(1/6) > >>

Jackinthegreen:
Link

Since we don't have a discussion for it up, I figured I'd make one.

Why?

Mostly because being an outsider allows the archer to be polymorphed into an Arrow Demon.  Polymorph grants the character the extraordinary special attacks of the new form, so that particular form gains Close Combat Shot, Oversized Weapons, and Symmetrical Archery on top of the very respectable physical scores.

Bit of a shame it can't Manyshot with both bows, but it's still a great archer form.

The original author made mention of Dragon Mag material.  I'd recommend adding the Targetteer fighter variant from Dragon 310 to it as well as the Dead Eye feat.

Solo:
The Bone bow from Frostburn does not auto-adjust depending on the user's strength mod.

Esgath:

--- Quote ---Elvencraft (+300 gp) [RoTW Pg. 166]
This quality is one of the best things you could ever add to a bow and only costs 300gp. Basically, it makes your Bow double as either a Club (Shortbow) or Quarterstaff (Longbow). Greatbow isn't touched upon in RoTW, but it would probably also be either a Quarterstaff or a Longstaff. This is a great way to fight both, in range and in melee without Quick Draw and to avoid having to cause AoOs by firing bow when threatened. This is also one of the best ways to build a Sublime Way Archer as Elvencraft Bow allows using the martial strikes in melee when need be while still giving you the freedom to fire at will.

--- End quote ---
This enhancement can't do that, you still provoke when firing arrows.

Jackinthegreen:

--- Quote from: RotW ---When wielding an elvencraft bow, the user threatens the squares around him no matter how he last used the weapon.
--- End quote ---

That's the part where things get a bit funny.  The interpretation in the handbook is that because the character still threatens the spaces around him, enemies don't get an AoO.

Esgath:
Which doesn't help, because you get AoOs in your face because the PHB says ranged attack in melee range = provoking. Not because you don't threaten the space.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version