Author Topic: Fun Finds the 2nd Party Edition  (Read 115560 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds the 2nd Party Edition
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »
It's also referenced in my ACF index, so that ought to aid memory for anyone who has gone through it.

Offline Cannotthink

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »
I like fun things. I like Kalamar. I shall share some fun things in Kalamar.

Some feats
(click to show/hide)

Other things
(click to show/hide)

Offline Argent Fatalis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Nature, red in tooth and claw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2015, 02:06:49 AM »
The World of Warcraft supplement by Sword and Sorcery for 3.0 has some interesting finds.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I'm sure there's a lot more gems in here, but Reckless Attack is absolutely incredible.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2015, 02:16:34 AM »
From Dragonlance: Holy Orders of the Stars page 31.

Exotic weapon:  Emmide.  1d6/1d6 double bludgeoning weapon with reach and can also strike adjacent foes.  It can also trip.  It's also a special monk weapon, for what that's worth.  The only thing that would make it better is if it said a character could treat it as a quarterstaff for all other purposes.

Yeah, there's the line about it counting as just a quarterstaff if the wielder doesn't have EWP for it, but if it only counts as a quarterstaff if the wielder isn't proficient in it then being proficient with it would seem to imply it's no longer treated as a quarterstaff.  I'll still make a build around this thing because it's one of the truly exotic weapons that is worth a feat.

Thanks to Shadowhunter for having better Google-fu than me in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:18:19 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
Dragon 322 page 44 has template class levels a la savage progressions for the shadow creature, shade, and umbral creature templates.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 03, 2015, 12:21:44 PM »
Lady's Gambit from Dragon 317 is an... interesting feat.

You need +6 BAB, Iron Will, and Power Attack to take it, and it lets you sacrifice HP for attack and damage.

You can take damage up to your character level; for every 2 damage you take, you get a +1 bonus to attack and damage for a round.

It synergizes really well with Stone Power, Fast Healing, or other methods of rapidly recovering HP; Lady's Gambit talks about "sacrificing" HP, so it probably won't work with a Crusader's damage pool... more's the pity.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 03, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »
Great for someone with Masochism and Divine Sacrifice (the paladin spell, -10hp for +5d6 dmg)

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:43 PM »
I've found a way to make one use of rage last forever.  I haven't worked out any particularly good reason to do so, but I'm sure someone can come up with one. 

The firestorm berserker prestige class (Dragon 314, p60) gets an ability at 6th level that lets him maintain his rage after it would normally expire at a cost of one point of con damage per round.  That's a gross oversimplification, actually.  I've put the full details in this spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

As I'm sure we all know by now, binding Naberius (Tome of Magic, p41) causes you to heal a point of damage to each ability score every round.  I have some quibbles that I'll put in another spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2015, 03:36:27 AM »
Wendle Centaur in Bestiary of Krynn pg. 37 is a 2HD +1LA medium-sized centaur.  +4 str, +4 dex, +2 wis, -2 cha and +5 natural armor.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:42:32 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2015, 12:16:30 AM »
Out of the ashes it comes back, because people are posting 2nd party finds on the main thread >.<

But all is not lost, behold the my find of then Shen from Dragon Mag #319.
What is it? A monk PrC that lets you half-turn into other animals.
Like a bear warrior barbarian? Sort of, Dragon operates in extremes of weak or uber-strong.
So what's uber-power? At the 4th level, snake path, the Monk can turn any unarmed attack into an auto-critical hit once per day per class level which is a really nice way to control triggering various burst-style bonuses not to mention the double (or more) aspect to it. You still have to roll your attack, but if that roll crits they stack. It also alters a few things like Stunning Fist uses your Int modifier instead of Wisdom and the Hybrid form gets +2 Dex/Int which is a great synergy with Kung Fu Genius. Improved Critical, and a natural Bite attack that deals your Unarmed Damage (aka free extra 'unarmed' attack at -5 penalty).
That sounds cool, got any more? Hecks yeah, at the 1st level the Tiger path gives you a paralyzing Touch Attack. Full-Round Action & 1/day per Monk level & only 1 round, but the DC is 10 + Shen level + your Strength modifier which can easily be pumped to astronomical levels, like using it's Hybrid Form and Frenzy for +8 Str. Coup De Grace ftw!

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2015, 06:12:36 AM »
I like Shen, its a Monk without the drawback of actually taking a level of Monk.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2015, 10:31:43 AM »
Dragon 359, page 112 Sage: an assassin death attack can be any attack, from one of the swings in a full attack to an AoO.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2015, 06:08:59 PM »
Take Master @ ECL 4 to gain a cohort through faithful aide knack.

Faithful Aide: The master professional has acquired a talented apprentice, student, bodyguard, or servant. This knack functions like the Leadership feat, but it applies only to a cohort, and the master professional's Leadership score is equal to his ranks in a chosen Profession skill plus his Charisma bonus. The aide can be a character of any class, although usually another master, and is treated exactly as any other cohort.
Prerequisite: Profession 7 ranks.

Also Obstinate Soul from Darksun. Add your focus to variable spells like awaken.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
Yeah should'a posted over here ... so

The Master is a DL semi-npc class.  I've googled very few references to it (and missed this one above what the) http://guilesworld.com/role-playing-games-stuff/dragonlance/master/

The Profession knacks can gets you :
Faithful Aide ... cohort equivalent at level 4  {already covered by Arz}
Skilled Team ... leadership army composed of Experts  !!!!!!  also works with Thrallherd HA !!

WOW with edit 2nd WOW.
Otherwise it's closer to Expert than a bad Rogue.

Extra idea from a few days rummaging ... you can dip Master 1 for Knack and take Skilled Team at 7th level with the pre-reqs.  That's going onto my Money Bags build pronto.   And it seems like a good idea in general to dip it at or near there, with some of the other Knacks too.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »
Dragon #348, page 35, variant curses.
You can change your alignment for the purposes of Detect Spells & Divination, it's a more permanent solution to hiding your alignment. For funsies, you can impose a -5 penalty to Saves unless the target carries a designated, none-harmful, item. You can use this to make people carry around signs like, "I'm delicious once fried!". You also can become a carrier for Blinding Sickness and/or Crackle Fever, inflecting it on anyone that you hit or are hit by a Natural Weapon or Touch Attack which has the side effect of making you immune to the selected disease which is nice too.

I think we've all heard about the loss of a Class Feature from the Greater side to remove a Wilder's Psychic Enervation, bu have another reminder. You can also totally negate any three Skill Checks, sort of like picking Spot to make them blind but more fun since you can choose Jump or Concentration.

The same issue also has Strahd's Baneful Attractor.  It's a Saveless effect that diverts all damage dealing Spells within 15ft to the target even if it'd break the Spell's original range. Interestingly, this means it can turn a Touch Spell into a 15ft-er. You can cast it on your enemies to prevent them from casting certain Spells or on a summoned ally to help protect the part. It's a very nice effect.

Done in Class Acts you can choose to pick up a Transmutation Focus instead of a Familiar, at the 15th level it can once per day double a Spell's Ability Bonuses. So like, a Persisted Bite of the Wearbear gives +32 Str & +16 Con as a set of Enhancement Bonuses.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »
Dragon 349's turn.

There is an often forgotten about True Dragon in here, the Dzalmus which has multiple heads (sweet). The real find through is the Psionic/Magic Feats, Psiomancer lets you convert PP into Spell Slots during preparation and Cerebremancer lets you burn PP to pay for Metamagic costs allowing a Psion dipped Wizard to convert PP tricks to Spell Slots. And Psiotheurgist combines your CL & ML for the purposes of determining your ML in a single discipline. Use the actual Cerebremancer Class in conjunction with this for a double gain on your PP limits for Augmentation/Metapsionic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »
Dragon 350 has some new time travel Spells which is cool.

#351 offers up Oerthblood, a new metal-based Material to tinker with. It's actually some kind of alloy because it can be mixed with Mithral for calculating Hardness/HP, the unique benefit for mixing is it provides a +100% increase to Hardness & +50% increase to HP. Costs to Magical Enhance it are reduced by 25% which is pretty freaking nice, a +10 Weapon drops from 200,000gp to 156,000gp. In addition the Material provides it's own properties.
Weapons: +6k or 150gp ammo, +1 luck to attack/damage, creatures struck gain a stacking -1 unnamed to saves for 1 round.
Light Armor: +10k, dr 1/-, +1 luck to saves vs magic.
Medium Armor: +20k, dr 2/-, +2 luck to saves vs magic.
Heavy Armor: +30k, dr 3/-, +3 luck to saves vs magic.
Yeah, stuff like this is why Dragon is seen as OP and poorly written.

The Monkey Head Talisman for 128k gives you combat Reflexes & Stunning Fist even if you lack the prerequisites. They offer a bunch of Wisdom-To-X Feats for Ninjas & Arcane Spellcasters, Potent Dweomercraft's Damaging Spell is a two Feat investment for basically a once per Encounter +25% damage bonus to a Spell.

There is a section on Technomagical Implants. Quickdisk, a necklace, provides +2 unnamed to Initiative for 1,000gp. I like the vest through, Greater Shocking Field costs 42k and deals 1d4 electricity damage to anyone that hits you in melee, then they need to make a Fort Save against DC 10 + 1/2 your level + ConMod to be Stunned for one round breaking their Full-Attack and rending them helpless.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
I've found a way to make one use of rage last forever.  I haven't worked out any particularly good reason to do so, but I'm sure someone can come up with one. 

The firestorm berserker prestige class (Dragon 314, p60) gets an ability at 6th level that lets him maintain his rage after it would normally expire at a cost of one point of con damage per round.  That's a gross oversimplification, actually.  I've put the full details in this spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

As I'm sure we all know by now, binding Naberius (Tome of Magic, p41) causes you to heal a point of damage to each ability score every round.  I have some quibbles that I'll put in another spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Huh ... very late response on my part.
Rage was part of the earliest Infinite spells trick
using action points and stuff I've forgotten ;  iirc
it was one of the Lord Of Procrastination's dirty tricks.

Rage Mage gives CL = character level, but only while raging.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
Dragon 349's turn.
The real find through is the Psionic/Magic Feats, Psiomancer lets you convert PP into Spell Slots during preparation and Cerebremancer lets you burn PP to pay for Metamagic costs allowing a Psion dipped Wizard to convert PP tricks to Spell Slots. And Psiotheurgist combines your CL & ML for the purposes of determining your ML in a single discipline. Use the actual Cerebremancer Class in conjunction with this for a double gain on your PP limits for Augmentation/Metapsionic.

Love these.

I think now-a-days there's some early entry for a
Wilder + Sorceror combo, which would make the
Psiomancer worthwhile ;  especially with recharge.

Cerebremetamagic is ridiculous fun, even without recharge.
 :D ---> http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13478.0

Psiotheurgist yep, combo's well with the Mind Mage PrC.
Favorite of mine, for some early qualifying Ardent tricks,
like the Power Of The Duergar thread (round here somewhere).
Possibly salvages the PsyWar Soulbound acf with Jaunter.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
Cerebremetamagic is ridiculous fun, even without recharge.
 :D ---> http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13478.0
Speaking of, you're capped at the highest Spell Level you can cast so no Heightening to lv9 at the 1st level. And your virtual ML/CL to PR/SR Checks (and augmentation) isn't the same as your Spellcasting/Manifesting Level for determining your Power/Spells per day no matter how confused you get.

What it does abuse is something like Wizard 3 / Psion 3 / Cerebremancer 10 / Greater Bloodline 3 has a 35PP cap on Psychometabolism Powers for Augmenting and a +35 to overcome Power Resistance which is pretty damn nice, specially when you consider the Spell side of that build probably has far too many Prepared Spells than it should.