Author Topic: Game Thread (Rob DM)  (Read 76333 times)

Offline ZanKhellendros

• ~ A fool's paradise or a wise man's hell? ~
    • View Profile
Re: Game Thread (Rob DM)
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »
"What I am still a little unclear of is who has stationed you here"
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else"~ Albert Einstein
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right"~ThomasPaine
"One may transcend any convention if only one could conceive of doing so"~CloudAtlas

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
"The Southern Forward Unit. We're here to take advantage of the structure, both to keep a look out for any scouts or troops that push past, and to keep the place ready in the event that they have to fall back to a defensible position.

But, yeah. Why are you two here?"

Sorsha looks at you and shrugs her shoulders.

"I don't know much about the military campaign in the Fork, as of late."
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
But, yeah. Why are you two here?"
"We are interested in the old structure as well, but just in everything that was here before you men arrived. We are looking for relics or any items or papers. Both of us are followers of Heronious as I said and we have been reading over some ancient texts and believe there could be relics of historical value to our order and wish to investigate this temple and some of the surrounding area. We are both unfamiliar with this conflict between the two nations beyond the who and why and so I don't know of what threat level you soldiers here feel you are at but we mean you no harm. Will you allow us to look around?"

I'd also like to try a Gather Information check on this dude, i am worried this may look like scouts in disguise trying to get informaiton and wish to be careful how I conduct my questioning, just generalities or opinions of this guys
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else"~ Albert Einstein
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right"~ThomasPaine
"One may transcend any convention if only one could conceive of doing so"~CloudAtlas

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2015, 02:56:40 PM »
"Sure, sure. I'll show you around. Follow me."

I'd also like to try a Gather Information check on this dude, i am worried this may look like scouts in disguise trying to get informaiton and wish to be careful how I conduct my questioning, just generalities or opinions of this guys
You mean Sense Motive? That's what you use to read people. Gather Info is more for talking to lots of people about a given topic.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
Guess I wasnt sure how many people were here as for the gather check, i hadnt  thought about sense motive just yet but its getting to the point were asking some more pointed questions would need to follow up with that
I'll follow him, i need to tie up my mule first, i assume they have horses somewhere
... unless i can go back to do a sense motive on something he already said, like his story about why they are here
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:07:07 PM by ZanKhellendros »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »
Gather Info is meant to take 1d4+1 hours. Sense Motive takes a minute (so, it could be happening in this conversation). You could either try a straight DC 20 to see if you feel the guy is trustworthy, or go against his Bluff (if he's bluffing) to catch him in a lie. Do you want to try either of those?

He brings you to the stables on the east where there are already three horses. There is room for over a dozen animals, here.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
"The Southern Forward Unit. We're here to take advantage of the structure, both to keep a look out for any scouts or troops that push past, and to keep the place ready in the event that they have to fall back to a defensible position."
I'd like a sense motive on this I'd think

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
Sense Motive -> 1d20+8 = 13.

He's not convincing you about what he says.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)
I need to single to Sorsha to warn her, I'll wait til we are in an inclosed area where I feel that no one could be watching and when our host turns his head away from us I'll turn to her and motion with one hand a quick cut throat index finger across my throat followed by a hush with index finger to my lips which i extend toward her as an index finger pointed up meaning to wait, for me to make the first move, not sure how much she would get from my attempt but would like her to at least be on her toes if she isnt already with my behavior up to this point. I could speak in dwarven and I'd wager this guy doesnt but it would be obvious that we were keeping him out of the loop and put him in a more defensive mind set. I would still tie up my mule and follow toward the temple. The trick will be to keep him talking and hope he lets something slip
"How long have you guys been here"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »
OOc: should i know the outcome to my sense motive vs a bluff or whatever he did or didnt roll. Was trying to remember if this was a roll you make in secret or if I roll, for future referance
OOC: You can roll it any time, if you want. I just didn't post the Bluff roll, both so you wouldn't see his modifier and so you wouldn't truly know if your roll was successful, or not. In the mean time, I can roll any if I knew you wanted to make a roll, but forgot to post it (just to keep things moving).

I need to single to Sorsha to warn her, I'll wait til we are in an inclosed area where I feel that no one could be watching and when our host turns his head away from us I'll turn to her and motion with one hand a quick cut throat index finger across my throat followed by a hush with index finger to my lips which i extend toward her as an index finger pointed up meaning to wait, for me to make the first move, not sure how much she would get from my attempt but would like her to at least be on her toes if she isnt already with my behavior up to this point.
Okay. Assuming nothing happens before then, we'll assume you do that once you get inside the building. In the mean time...

I would still tie up my mule and follow toward the temple. The trick will be to keep him talking and hope he lets something slip
"How long have you guys been here"
He shows you to the stables. He is standing there while you tie up the mule. You ask him your question, and he responds:

"A while. It's been at least six months."

Sense Motive vs Bluff -> 1d20+8 = 13.

You get the feeling he's holding something back. He's not necessarily lying, but you don't think he's being forthright. You probably have time for about one more question before he brings you around to the entrance, unless you intentionally want to stall entering.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
What about the ground both inside the stable and around it, i may not be able to track but normal people can see lots of traffic in dirt, realizing that a lot of back and forth from just a few could just as easely be confused for a little traffic by lots of dudes. The other animals in the stable, do i see any military brands on the animals or other markings, the saddles could have some markings.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2015, 10:07:39 PM »
Someone's been caring for the animals and taking them in and out of the stables. You'd pretty much have to do that to keep horses here any amount of time, so it's hard to tell. Anything else you want to ask him before he heads inside?
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:50 PM »
not necessarily lying, but you don't think he's being forthright. You probably have time for about one more question before he brings you around to the entrance, unless you intentionally want to stall entering.
"How goes the conflict"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »
"We haven't heard anything in months. We're out far enough off the beaten path that no one travels past us when doing whatever it is they do. We're supposed to be here more for a fall-back."

Sense Motive -> 1d20+8 = 19

You don't believe him.

You're at the door, now. Are you following him in, or stalling? Note that you haven't gestured to Sorsha, yet. You were planning on doing that once out of his sight.
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2015, 01:26:21 PM »
side note, did my celestial dog peak the interest

There is the risk that once inside an ambush could begin but we are out in the middle of nowhere and they could have done so already but they could have reasons why not to, they could suspect us of being a threat as well and could just be lying to me because they dont trust me.
If he is still leading us through, i'd like to not skip a beat and stroll on in, if he doesnt turn around rght away I could step inside and to the side giving me an instant to signal of potential danger .. alternatively i could just draw my weapon, im sure she would follow suite and I could cover our host and im sure he would say something like "what are you doing" and I could call him out on his information twisting. He could have good intention and I am mindful that he may not be a villian.
No, stick with the first plan, signal Sorsha the way i discribed. See what whats for us inside

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »
He hasn't mentioned your dog.

He leads you inside to an entry area that is more functional, than decorated. There are a couple blue and white banners hanging from the wall with Heironeous symbols, but that is about it. There are two benches on the wall where you entered and hooks hanging on the wall for cloaks and what-not.  The room is 15x15 feet, with a door on the center of each wall.

He tells you "Wait here and set your things down. I'll be right back", and he heads through the center door. You see him head into a hallway before the door closes.

At this point, you signal Sorsha. She looks at you, and rests her right hand on her sword handle, hiding it behind her shield. Is there anything else you want to do, while waiting?
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
it sounds like we are alone so
Whisper "He is hiding something" in dwarven

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
Whispering, "What do you suspect?"
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2015, 08:08:14 PM »
Whispering, "What do you suspect?"
still quietly in dwarven "Can't be sure, he hasn't said much in specifics but he is hiding something and that means its possible we could be in danger worst case. Don't put your things down just yet. Lets start with this room though, search the stones in the walls if nothing else and see if anything is strange"
Motion for her to search the wall on one side of the door he went into and I'll search the other side for now. Does the door open into this room or into the next area? (a reaction from he/them when returning could tell me something, if angry or upset that we didnt listen specifically rather then indifference to us wondering around the room could suggest seeking to control us verse not being worried about what we are doing)
Are the hooks empty?
Do I hear anything unusual or maybe distant talking?

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »
Motion for her to search the wall on one side of the door he went into and I'll search the other side for now. Does the door open into this room or into the next area?
It opens into the hall.

Are the hooks empty?
They are empty. It's likely they have their stuff stored in other quarters.

Do I hear anything unusual or maybe distant talking?
Listen -> 1d20+3 = 5
(Note: you're supposed to get a +2 Racial bonus to Spot and Listen.)

You're having a hard time hearing through the door at first. Then, you realize you are hearing loud, quick footsteps rapidly approaching the door. You have time to step back right as the door opens, suddenly. The cleric is standing just behind the door way holding a longsword and his light steel shield. You see a different symbol on a silver chain around his neck (Spot -> 1d20+3 = 17), which is a hand holding an eye. You recognize it as the symbol of Vecna. Behind him is a woman with black hair and purple eyes. She is wearing a loose-fitting, dark red dress, and she has a dagger in her left hand.

Initiative:
Gregory: 1d20+2 = 15
Sorsha: 1d20 + 1 = 15
Cleric: 1d20+1 = 2
Wizard: 1d20+2 = 17

(Ordered)
Wizard: 17
Gregory: 15
Sorsha: 15
Cleric: 2

The woman speaks in an unusually raspy voice. Suddenly, the stone floor beneath you and Sorsha becomes extremely slippery. You look at your feet to see a wide swath of the floor slathered in grease.

Gregory Reflex save -> 1d20+3 = 21
Sorsha Reflex save - 1d20+3 = 18

You both maintain your footing with relative ease. Note that moving in, through, or out of the area will require a DC 10 Balance check (and you are considered flat-footed at this time, affecting your AC and ability to make attacks of opportunity).

You and your dog are up!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:01:34 AM by RobbyPants »
My creations