Author Topic: Harry Potter: The RPG  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Kelsey MacAilbert

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Harry Potter: The RPG
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
This just came into my head today. What I love most about the Harry Potter books is the setting. I just love the wizarding world to death, and I'm sad to have no more books to expand upon it. Well, why not do it myself? I'm thinking a point system superficially similar to the Storyteller system. The games focus would be on telling new stories with new characters, with the system being equally well suited to staying in Britain or leaving for new countries. I like the Britain of the books, but at the same time I want to imagine what the wizarding world would look like over in New England or Mexico or Germany. My own personal preference would be to run games for groups of aurors, but I don't see why someone couldn't do pretty much whatever they wanted with their group.

I know how I want the system to play out. It's levelless point buy, with magic being seperated into the groups you see in the books. Each group is improved independently of other groups. As a general rule, you can cast what you want so long as you know how (some of the more powerful spells have a requisite skill level in the spell group they belong to), though if you run around throwing avada kadavra's everywhere the local magical government will respond.

What I'm looking for is advice, any issues that come to mind, ideas for new spells, magical items, or magical creatures from outside Britain to add to this RPG, and so on. This is a spur of the moment idea, but I think it has enough merit for serious consideration.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter: The RPG
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »
That's quite the tall order though. A lot of Harry Potter uses basically European magic stuff, with a random grab bag of international magic culture, but colored by the British specific style. If in Europe, then the magic aspect would be pretty much the same, but the school culture could vary quite a bit.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter: The RPG
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
I feel dirty just for saying this but...Read this. It was written just after the 5th book, and covers a surprisingly large amount of ground from a "magic of HP" standpoint, finally giving a reason for anyone to give a fuck about astronomy in the setting, even though 90% of the homework the characters complained about in Rowling's work is astronomy and divination.

As a fan-work, it's surprisingly well thought out.

Now, I'm going to go take a shower. I can't believe I just advised someone to go read fanfiction.  :puke