Author Topic: Having both Rage and Whirling Frenzy  (Read 2398 times)

Offline RealMarkP

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Having both Rage and Whirling Frenzy
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
Say I have a Barbarian 1/Druid 1 build. I take the Whirling Frenzy ACF, losing rage. However, if I take the Druidic Avenger ACF, I regain rage but from a different source. The question is, can I have these two abilities at the same time?

According to the text in the Whirling Frenzy ACF:
A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).

So, I'm assuming this means that I can have both the standard Rage ability and the Whirling Frenzy ability, just that I cannot use them both at the same time. Does this sound correct?

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Having both Rage and Whirling Frenzy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
Yes, exactly that.

Also, simple questions such as this, you can ask in the "Ask a Question" forum and i'm sure it'll get more and better responses sooner ;D
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline RealMarkP

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:24 AM »
Thanks. There is a reason why I asked in the min/max forum, because my build skirts the grey line between a good build and an optimized build.

So, furthermore, The Whirling frenzy ACF gives the following:
A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round.

Does this stack with a Tribal Protector's Wild Fighting ability:
Similar to a monk attacking with a flurry of blows, a tribal defender of 2nd level or higher can enter a state of wild fighting, attacking in a storm of ferocious assaults. The character gains one extra attack per round, at his highest base attack bonus, but all the character's attacks in that round suffer a —2 penalty. This penalty lasts for an entire round, so it also affects any attacks of opportunity the protector might make in that round.

They both sound very similar...

And more so, if could this be used with a Frenzied Barbarian's Frenzy ability:
A frenzied berserker can enter a frenzy during combat. While frenzied, she gains a +6 bonus to Strength and, if she makes a full attack action, gains a single extra attack each round at her highest bonus. (This latter effect is not cumulative with haste or other effects that grant additional attacks.)

This would be a ton of attacks, regardless of the attack penalties...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:54:44 AM by RealMarkP »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
I would say it works with Wild Fighting but not with Frenzy, since Frenzy is "a similar ability" to Rage, while Wild Fighting is compared to FoB instead.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
I'd say it works, too. The thing i don't remember now is if Whirling Frenzy stacks with Haste or not...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
It does; unless it explicitly states that it doesn't stack, it does.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."