Author Topic: Chapter 1, Versicle 1 - "Those who take the sword, die by the sword."  (Read 23676 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1, Versicle 1 - "Those who take the sword, die by the sword."
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
Bartok snorts in derision at these stories.  It is as if these people think they're going to talk the church to death!  "I am Bartok Grimtooth, a warrior.  I killed an inquisitor before he could torture me but his guards cut me down before I could kill all of them too."

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
Hassin shifts his looks towards Xander, immediately. In a flash, he produces a wicked, slender and twisted blade, black as night, dripping with something foul. He slides almost instantly to where Xander is standing, and the dagger is a mere inch from his neck.

YOU WERE ONE OF THEM?

His eyes are near glowing red with fury as he speaks. The oriental man is incredibly frightening this way, and you see he's no mere servant... He moves too quickly, too smoothly, too deadly-like, to be a mere servant.

But almost instantly after that, he backed out and stowed his weapon once more. In a cold, nearly dead voice, he says: These are not my orders. I don't kill unless i am ordered to, or to defend myself.

He slithers away into the shadows, and goes almost out of sight.

I am Hassin, and i am a member of an ancient order of Assassins that exists since Xerxe's Persian Empire. Solomon found me bleeding, nearly dead, in Jerusalem, after i had failed my attempt at assassinating the leader of the Holy Knight Crusaders. They had me drawn and quartered, castrated and branded. I was ready to let myself die, but they wouldn't let it happen. They tracked down my brothers and sisters, and they did the same they did to me to them, even the initiates, the children, the servants, and the pleasure women. They showed no mercy, and they showed no hesitation. They said we were not sons of god, that we were already doomed to hell, and that doing what they did was God's will. They are ignorant, they do not know that our God is one and the same. This was not God's will...

Fading even more into shadow, Hassin is now completely invisible, and seems like a disembodied voice

But like a thing out of the myths, Solomon appeared to me in my cell, while i was weak and almost dying, serving as food for rats and insects. He said to me that i had useful skills, and that my spite and hatred was strong, and that i could have my revenge. He healed me, and told me how i could escape. He gave me the blade you saw, and told me to use it to do my revenge. And so i did. I escaped, and he found me. He told me he would recruit more, and would find a way to bring down the Church. You are those.

He stops for a while... His voice now seems to come from another corner of the room.

Don't doubt his power. It's real. If he says it can be done, then it can be done. He told me, that when a beast is too big and too bloated, so big you can't reach it's head and cut it off, that you have to cut it's tendons and let it collapse under it's own weight. This is what we will do, we will turn the Church in against itself.

Now, rest. Tomorrow we will hear Solomon and what he has planned.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
Watching the assassin fade into the darkness, he takes lady Cromhail's hand and heads for one of the rooms. Over his shoulder he addresses Xander, "It's often true. For instance the crime I was accused of wasn't the crimes I committed."

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »
I am Urak the Chosen One, servant of the True Lord of Hell. i am here at the request of my master to slaughter all those who refuse to convert to the faith and fear of my master. Once he has enough fearing him, he will gain enough power to break the bonds of servitude and rule the depths of hell!
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
Brighid gracefully followed, considering who, in this group, was likely to cause more trouble: it appeared that either Bartok, with all the delicacy and grace of the rhinoceros she had requested (as well as the intellect) or Urak would be liable to result in the most problems. It could have been worse. It could have been a group of people such as that.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »
(First of all, sorry about the delay, and now for the continuation...)

It's the next day, and you're all awakened by a really loud and unnatural sound... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCC6ZYI3SI

You then, hear the sound of Solomon's voice in your heads.

Awaken. A new day has dawned. Your equipment is now ready, all as requested. Everything but the beast requested by Brighid should be found in your rooms. Get ready and packed, because i already have your first assignment.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
Dolus is barely aroused by Solomon's voice having made up for lost time but he manges to roll out of bed. His clothes, no supplies, are here. Tools, ropes, camping supplies, stuff to mimic a novice arcanist's spells using mundane materials. Even his rich deep blue silk outfit is made out of the finest treated leather that can be unfolded and used as a tarp. Dolus hopefully will never be caught flat-footed again, he'll be ready for the traitors that would stab him in the back.

Once dressed, he nudges Brighid to make sure she is awake as he lays her clothing beside her.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »
Bartok puts on his armor, grabs his weapon and other gear, and smiles.  He's ready for whatever this crazy old man has in store and goes out to see what the mission is.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »
Having sat up most of the night, staring at the ceiling with wide eyes, Eos quickly dons his clothing, loads up his pack, and scurries out after everyone else.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2013, 04:55:19 AM »
In full armor, follows along
- All Spells
- playground

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
Dolus, finally dressed, leaves his room and addresses the guys, "Good morning, let's see if I recall this correctly. Bartok the mercenary, Hell's paladin Urak, and Eos the feared. That sound about right?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »
"Yes, I am Bartok and a mercenary."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »
From a different room, Brighid emerged looking rather like she had attempted to weigh herself down and compensate for such a slender body: red velvet, furs, and enough precious metals and jewels part of the garment to make one mistake the actual jewellery she wore for a continuation of the gown. Her hair, at least, was now considerably less messy-looking, and was braided with yet more valuables. All in all, she certainly looked like royalty.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
(I'm confused, what exactly went on with Brighid and Dolus? )

Solomon speaks, his voice grave and serene.
First of all, i must disclose your present location. You are not in the British Isles, currently, but in Rome, deep beneath catacombs long forgotten by all, but not by me. Through magic and arcane arts long forgotten, i have entwined the spaces between this catacomb and one almost like it in the northern parts of the British Isles, at the edge of the territory once occupied by roman forces, near the Hadrian Wall. From there, you shall make your way southward, towards the territory of York. There, you will meet a priest that is also meaning to take the church down. He will make you privy to information on the movements the Church makes, and you will act upon these informations. Any questions?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2013, 11:47:08 AM »
(Nothing. :|)

""Why not simply kill the Church at its heart? Why return to Britain when the disease starts here?"

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »
Nods briefly at Dolus, when described as 'Hell's Paladin'
- All Spells
- playground

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
Qoden emerges from his room fully dressed and equipped, as Dolus finishes his recap. I think Eos the Fearful might be more appropriate... And Qoden the Vengeful, perhaps.

Responding to Brigid's question, Qoden replies Likely because we are from Britain, and thus know that area, its geography and customs the best. Perhaps he has recruited others like us from Rome to work in Rome.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
"Why not just go in and kill the head of the church?"

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
Shaking his head so shamefully at certain members of the group. "Because religion is founded on belief. The belief that punishment and rewards after death based on how you live, and how one such as you that knows Hell truly exists could ever contest that?" Continuing he adds, "Slaying the head or any leader of it does not change this belief but martyrs them and grants the pious members early entry into heaven. If you want to bring down the church, you need to convince a man's heart that he has been lied to. Proving the corruptibility of it's head members would do far more harm than killing them ever would."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
"Such an undertaking would not explain our being sent to the very edge of Christendom, however. The Papacy is here, in Rome; the political power of Italy is fragmented; and to discredit the church could best be performed either with the Pope or the College of Cardinals after his death," Brighid argued, folding her arms at the assumption her aims were so trite as to think killing one man would change it all, "The simplest option would be to eliminate the Pope and frame the College."