Author Topic: Invasion of the Beast Men  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Invasion of the Beast Men
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
While discussing some concepts involving gnolls and elves in my current campaign, namely that the elves had waged a war of extermination against various beast races in the past, one of the players suggested he would rather fight a war against rampaging beast men instead of obnoxious elves. So of course he set the theme for the next campaign arc, conveniently involving an invasion plot I had wanted to use anyway, as well as bringing in the characters from a previous campaign who would be sitting right in the path of said invasion.

So . . .

1 - Races
The primary enemies. The current list is:
Equicephs (horses) (MH)
Giff (hippos) (Dragon)
Gnolls (hyenas) (MM)
Ibixians (goats) (MM 3)
Loxo (elephants) (MM 2)
Minotaurs (cows) (MM)
Rhek (rhinos) (BoED)

Are there any I'm missing from that?
I note that gnolls are the only natural carnivores on that list.

2 - Quadruped Races
Naturally the four-legged equivalents should have a say. That list is:
Centaurs (horses) (MM)
Bariaur (goats) (MP)
Hybsil (antelopes) (Monsters of Faerun)
Manotaurs (cows) (Tome of Horrors)
Wemics (lions) (Monsters of Faerun)

Again, am I missing anything from that list?
Once again, only one of these are based on carnivores.

3 - House Rules
Hybsils are fey in Monsters of Faerun, so they would need to be converted to monstrous humanoids.
Gnolls are humanoids, so they would get improved to monstrous humanoids.

My big question is, if I want to adjust the racial HD of these to either a uniform base of 2, how much should I adjust their CR?
What if I wanted to make them all medium-sized (for easier dungeon placement), or large-sized (for more intimidating field presence)? What about medium-sized plus powerful build?

What other tweaks to these races would be more "flavorful"?
Giff, Ibixians, Minotaurs, and Rhek all get powerful charge with a gore or head butt (for the giff), and Loxo have trample, but Equiceph and Gnolls are rather boring. Would trample be reasonable to add to Equicephs and a natural bite for Gnolls without pumping the CR too much?

What other races would be "fun" to add to the list? What sort of rampaging anthropomorphic herbivores would you going Conan on for invading your homeland?
And what about the errant carnivores on that list? Should I keep them? Use them as potential adversaries? Would you ally with insane gnolls to stop from being overrun by bloodthirsty hippo-men?

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Invasion of the Beast Men
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 01:18:04 PM »
For the Carnivores: Lizardfolk (MM) and Catfolk (RotW) definitely, perhaps raptoran (RotW)?

Why not use Anthropomorphic Animals (Savage Species Appendix)? Consider Hybrid form Lycanthropes, without the shapechanging ability.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Invasion of the Beast Men
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »
I've got other plans for the reptilians, so they won't be part of the invasion.
I had forgotten about the catfolk. They make a good partner for the wemics and counterpart to the gnolls.
I was using variant raptorans elsewhere, along with a bunch of the ape and frog humanoids, so they are also not going to show up.

I had considered anthropomorphic animals, but wasn't sure how many I'd want to introduce.
I had not thought about hybrid form lycanthropes. That could definitely work.