Author Topic: Inspiration kicked me in the head, and I'm not sure what to do with it...  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
I was just reading through some Lovecraft quotes, and the following one caught my eye:

"The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom"

The image that immediately struck me was a shrouded figure, sitting regal on a throne, with its great and terrible sense of Noblesse Oblige (or Terreur Oblige (excuse the mangled French)). Its decrees are law, as arbitrary and nonsensical as they are; its law triumphs over those of all others, for lo, if it commands that all wearing white are to be slain, who would not gladly lend their hand to the task.

Now, I'm kinda stuck; part of me wants to see if I can wrangle a monster out of this, while another part of me wants to see if I could get an Elder Evil out of this concept; after all, I'm already kinda starting to combine this idea in my head with the Prince of 100,000 Leaves, because being attended by regal spirits of cannibalism sounds just about right.

Or, finally, I could see if I could make a character out of this...

Thoughts?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
As a PC this would be a difficult fit for a campaign as you would be a pretty extreme case of CN/CE

Offline Dkonen

• Caution: may contain MGFS
    • View Profile
Alienist.

Even fits for the slow descent to madness and gains in power. Take leadership and have a diplomancing companion who convinces everyone to give their undying devotion to you. Take illithid savant and then eat him and gain their fanaticism (or something along those lines).

Maybe a bit of fiend of corruption? That way you can grant gifts to your faithful? Though, with enough fanatical followers you can qualify for godhood. Add in a demiplane via Genesis or similar, and you have your own culty world filled with fervent fanatics (oooo redundant and alliterative).
I wouldn't always have to be right if so many people didn't insist on always being wrong.