Author Topic: [3.5] Possible issues with widespread magic in a custom setting.  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
I've been working for a while with the DM on a new setting for our next campaign. One of the staple of most races is "what if the fantasy races actually used magic (plus magic-based tech and other resources avaiabile) in everyday life just as we use technology". While this is not true for all races and depends on the area, the main races, especially dwarves, are like that.
Most street illumination is magical in nature, aqueducts water is purified with continuos food purification items, at least one race uses slimes to eat up waste, and even the lowest farming family has a magic trinket or two. Magic items are just something you can buy, you just might have to go to bigger shops in the capitals for higher level ones or need a license to own and carry "military grade" (aka damaging) ones. Hospitals and such are manned by level 1-4 healers, dwarf's fav class is artificier, etc.

This create issues tho... I'm sure there's a LOT of level 0-2 spells that could just wreck any semblance of economy apart if they became common use. And any number of level 3-4 that would do that even if they were less common (like Create Food and Water).
Can anyone think of some that might cause problems?

"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Possible issues with widespread magic in a custom setting.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
What you're talking about is kinda like the Tippyverse... but either way there are a few places that it's been explored in different ways (by me and others). Try some of these on for size:

Astonishing Artifice
Industrial Magic
Magipunk Campaign Setting (cyberpunk with tech replaced by magic)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to read them when I go back home from work.
Also I'll need to google this TIPPYVERSE 
"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »