Author Topic: Videogame Discussion II: Snake's Revenge  (Read 306245 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion II: Snake's Revenge
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2014, 07:08:25 AM »
I'm absolutely fed up with Blighttown (Dark Souls). I've been stuck in the place for 3 hours since killing the boss, and cannot physically make progress without being harassed by the mosquitos so much that they force me off of the platform I'm standing on to my death.

I've put up with the game up to this point, but Blighttown is seriously making me consider quitting.

Do you have the Master Key?

If so, you can skip Blighttown entirely by taking the elevator to New Londo, moving along the wall to the base of a broken tower, and going past a locked door into the "backdoor" to the swamp (compared to the rest of Blighttown, navigating your way to the swamp is a breeze). The swamp is a pain, of course, and there are still mosquitoes there, but it beats falling to your death.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »
I'm absolutely fed up with Blighttown (Dark Souls). I've been stuck in the place for 3 hours since killing the boss, and cannot physically make progress without being harassed by the mosquitos so much that they force me off of the platform I'm standing on to my death.

I've put up with the game up to this point, but Blighttown is seriously making me consider quitting.

If so, you can skip Blighttown entirely by taking the elevator to New Londo, moving along the wall to the base of a broken tower, and going past a locked door into the "backdoor" to the swamp (compared to the rest of Blighttown, navigating your way to the swamp is a breeze). The swamp is a pain, of course, and there are still mosquitoes there, but it beats falling to your death.

Another thing, which works whatever way you go... bring a ranged weapon.  Crossbow works if you don't have much Dex.

Snipe the mosquitos before they get to you, then focus on the blighted mutants.
Go slow, falls are everywhere.
Find the first bonfire, then proceed down to the second at ground level.  If you make it there you're home free.
Rusted Iron Ring helps, but if you don't have it, no need to go all the way back to get it.
Blighttown is rough but you can do it.  You have it for PC?  Give me your ID, we should co-op sometime.
Mudada.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Yah, blighttown is pain. But you can dodge and not kill anything there np, if you know where the bonfire's are. There's some good loot to find in upper Blightown, like the Shadow Set, which is a great mid-tier Light Armor set. But there's nothing really all that major in upper blighttown, namely, nothing that can't be skipped. So you just platform-jump until you reach the bottom, Estus, run to the bonfire in the cave at bottom-level, and then you can more easily explore the place, since it's way easier going up rather than down.

The bonfire at the bottom in the cave also leads to another possible entrance to Blighttown, in the Forest you can gain access to by beating Havel the Rock at the bottom of the tower that leads to the Taurus Demon fight. At least i can remember you being able to go through there, or maybe it's in the forest after you open the door with the crest of artorias, but i don't quite know for sure.

The Master Key opens up so many different starting paths it can be daunting for a first play. I'd definitely recommend going for it only on a second playthrough, once you're familiarized with the map enough.

Also, you'll hate Blighttown much more after you get to the point where the toxic dart shooting fiends are. Toxic is PAIN.
Farm the HELL out of those Treants for some glowing purple moss to get rid of it, otherwise, i can guarantee, you will die from toxic very often. Toxic is basically poison, but does double damage per tick, and it also stacks with poison.

So, be prepared.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:51:25 AM by brujon »
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
You can actually avoid all but one or two of those toxic shooting dart creatures if you go the New Londo Master Key route and you're headed straight for the lower bell.

Frankly, I'd prefer to go allllllllll the way to Anor Londo before going back to explore upper blighttown, the forest or well... anything in that vicinity actually. Also, you can always get the crest of artorias with some effort, and farm for souls near the entrance to where you use the crest if you feel the need to power-up.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
You can actually avoid all but one or two of those toxic shooting dart creatures if you go the New Londo Master Key route and you're headed straight for the lower bell.

I had already rung the bell, I was trying to get back to Firelink Shrine. Not 5 minutes after I posted that I managed to get out (and got an upgrade to my Estus Flask). According to TVTropes, Blighttown is the point in the game where people either quit or play to completion. Now that it's out of my way, I have very little that will be as infuriating as dealing with that place's catwalks. And I did take the New Londo Ruins/Valley of Drakes route to get into Blighttown.

Oh, and the reason I was having trouble was because I climbed from the bottom of the swamp to the top-left corner (close to the fortress in the background). I was literally on the other end of the map from where I was supposed to go.

Another thing, which works whatever way you go... bring a ranged weapon.  Crossbow works if you don't have much Dex.

Snipe the mosquitos before they get to you, then focus on the blighted mutants.
Go slow, falls are everywhere.
Find the first bonfire, then proceed down to the second at ground level.  If you make it there you're home free.
Rusted Iron Ring helps, but if you don't have it, no need to go all the way back to get it.
Blighttown is rough but you can do it.  You have it for PC?  Give me your ID, we should co-op sometime.

I have it for the 360 (didn't want to deal with modders in a game that's open PVP, and don't want to work with a really low-quality port). The framerate lag in Blighttown is the worst I've ever seen in a 360 game...

Funnily enough, the first time I went into Blighttown was to get a suit of armor (immediately after escaping the Asylum too). I didn't die once during that trip, but that's because I knew what I was doing.

Edit: I'm not particularly specced for much (Bandit with a side-focus on Sorcery/Pyromancy, using Drake Sword+Knight Shield+Crimson Armor+2+Haval's Ring+Ring of Favor & Protection), but I've been fairly sturdy throughout the game (hardest fight I've had was Haval; the Capra Demon took 2 tries at most).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:13:17 PM by Sinfire Titan »
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »
TvT is the single worst source for 'where is this game hard'. If you look at the Pokemon pages, apparently the entire game is absolutely impossible to beat. >.>

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
...you could have completely ignored said framerate lag if you'd played offline.

Just thought you might've wanted to know that. For future reference.

If you've already rung the bell, then you've beaten Quelaag. Kudos on doing that with the Drake Sword, given how much she reduces of its damage.

You should be able to procure a Lightning Spear in the upcoming fortress. It will serve you fairly well against pretty much anything throughout the Anor Londo area, except for its boss. (But then again said boss is an asshole regardless of what you're built to do). And a specific type of enemy which, mercifully, you won't encounter much of.

There are still some frustrating times ahead of you in that section as far as pitfalls go, but nothing as bad as "ground moves while you're trying to cross it" Blighttown.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2014, 11:54:39 PM »
as for EA..they put out madden games if they stopped doing that they would fold with in a three year time frame i bet

as for skyrim , I still love playing it on my 360 from time to time, I wish i had a better video card for my pc just so i could play it with the mods.

I picked up Fable Anniversary and I'm loving it again.

EDIT: I've laos played the bridge simulator on steam,which was fun in an odd way  lol...let's see how cheap i can make a bridge to hold trains and see if it falls on itself. I've also picked up a couple of political sim games,one in which you run for the white house and theo other is one in which you are the president and do all that stuff.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:58:44 PM by trappedslider »

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2014, 11:59:48 PM »
...you could have completely ignored said framerate lag if you'd played offline.

Just thought you might've wanted to know that. For future reference.

If you've already rung the bell, then you've beaten Quelaag. Kudos on doing that with the Drake Sword, given how much she reduces of its damage.

You should be able to procure a Lightning Spear in the upcoming fortress. It will serve you fairly well against pretty much anything throughout the Anor Londo area, except for its boss. (But then again said boss is an asshole regardless of what you're built to do). And a specific type of enemy which, mercifully, you won't encounter much of.

There are still some frustrating times ahead of you in that section as far as pitfalls go, but nothing as bad as "ground moves while you're trying to cross it" Blighttown.

Quelaag wasn't too tough: I had Mildred with me and I ended up sitting back with a bow for half the fight (until Mildred ate lava), then got some good staggering strikes in with the Drake Sword. Her attacks were too easy to dodge. Sen's Fortress was damn annoying due to the scythe blade traps (I also got screwed over at the rooftop bonfire; I didn't have enough health to survive the drop).

Anor Londo hasn't been too bad. Four deaths, two of which were due to the Dragonslayer Archers on the rooftop. I don't want to take on the Smoreo fight without getting Solaire's summon, but I need humanity and I'm fresh out because of my deaths. I may have to backtrack for it unless I spend some time farming kills.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2014, 09:19:49 AM »
Solaire is actually not that great a summon and there are lots of folks out there who make decent partners for that particular fight.

Anor Londo itself is also a pretty good spot to farm once you're past the archers: bring a parry-capable shield and equip a nice weapon and you're in business. You can pretty much one-shot most of the knights with the right weapon - either a silver or black knight longsword will do the job nicely.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:13 AM »
Solaire is actually not that great a summon and there are lots of folks out there who make decent partners for that particular fight.

Anor Londo itself is also a pretty good spot to farm once you're past the archers: bring a parry-capable shield and equip a nice weapon and you're in business. You can pretty much one-shot most of the knights with the right weapon - either a silver or black knight longsword will do the job nicely.

Solaire turned out to be useless: I got invaded while summoning him, the other player appeared in the same room, and he plus the two Sentinels murdered both myself and Solaire.  :shakefist. I hate greifers, and that one had half a star on his Rep score (Xbox's way of rating players, goes up to 5 stars). I tried to go the boss battle alone, but I got cornered and died in three hits (even with Havel's armor).

I two-shot the knights with my Zweihander (got it up to a +10 today, and I want to keep upgrading it).

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
If it helps any, Smough is weak to fire, while Ornstein resists lightning. Personally, I find Smough easier to deal with after power-up than Ornstein, though.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
If it helps any, Smough is weak to fire, while Ornstein resists lightning. Personally, I find Smough easier to deal with after power-up than Ornstein, though.

Everyone does; Smough's power-up just increases his damage (and changes his resistances), while Ornstien's changes his move list and makes him harder to predict.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2014, 05:47:21 PM »
Ornstein also has a rather obvious blind side on his right. You will never see him sweep from right to left, making it the best direction towards which you can dodge. His hitbox when he thrusts is relatively small for his size as well, except when he lunges.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »
I actually found Mega-Ornstein easier to fight. This is because I use an extremely short ranged weapon (The reinforced club), and once you're inside his reach, he only has one or two moves that he can use, while Smough has a much easier time hitting you, especially with his upgraded bumslam. That said, there is no shame in summoning a horde of phantoms to deal with the pair. Even Solaire can distract one of them, making the first phase much easier to deal with.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »
Also, if you have a good way to deal ranged damage (Soul Arrow/Lance spells, Lightning Spear), you can use the pillars to your advantage.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »

Solaire turned out to be useless: I got invaded while summoning him, the other player appeared in the same room, and he plus the two Sentinels murdered both myself and Solaire.  :shakefist. I hate greifers, and that one had half a star on his Rep score (Xbox's way of rating players, goes up to 5 stars). I tried to go the boss battle alone, but I got cornered and died in three hits (even with Havel's armor).

I two-shot the knights with my Zweihander (got it up to a +10 today, and I want to keep upgrading it).

You've dropped the Drake Sword for the Zwei, good good.  Drake Sword is no good to keep around.

If you're still fighting Pikachu and Snorlax, two things of note.  The only way to find humanity at this point, short of backtracking (not recommended) is dropping sign and helping others.  This is because none of the silver knights have humanity, fun fact.  They're gods/giants after all.  (Well, not really, but that's another story...)

Now I always kill Super Pikachu, cause Leo Ring everyone.  Personally I don't think he's that much harder than Super Snorlax, but I suppose I can see where they're coming from.  If you do happen to get a summon, for the first part you can have the summon draw aggro from one while you deal with the other.  After that it mostly depends on which one of the supers you're fighting, but I'd always keep yourself above 1/2 hp.  If you're low on supplies, don't be afraid to play defensive and draw aggro so your summon can wail on him.

Super pikachu's electro-butt stomp is a killer, and he spams it often.  I found shields work better than rolling.  Grass Crest has pretty good electric resistance.

After this is done, the Lordvessel is yours.  I'll be interested in knowing what Lord you seek out first.
Mudada.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »

Everyone does; Smough's power-up just increases his damage (and changes his resistances), while Ornstien's changes his move list and makes him harder to predict.

I have various things to say about Dark Souls...

First is that the part i found most annoying to play through was Sen's Fortress with a close second being the Library after Anor Londo, especially after the auto-death to Seath.

Second is that Blighttown is REALLY easy if you bring a bow and snipe stuff out of the way before you get there. Manual aiming on the bow absolutely ROCKS, and can even make you able to completely bypass all of New Londo by sniping the dude that's up the tower (forgot his name), and getting the Key that unlocks the path to the turn-thing, thereafter you have a new path opened up that's Firelink -> New Londo - Valley of Drakes (bridge part).

Third is that Pyromancy is completely and utter OP, and if you farm the souls you get in the dragon-guarded bridge when he breaths fire and kills all the Hollow Soldiers, you can then fast-track to Lower Undead Burg, kill Capra Demon, go to the Depths and free the pyromancy guy. Then, spend all your multiple-thousand souls into pyromancy upgrades, and go to Blighttown. In Blighttown, look for the woman that's Queelag's sister and teaches pyromancy, and farm souls until you get Pyromancy Gloves up to +15 and have bought all the spells. Shouldn't take long - Each trip up the bridge to the dragon gives you 555 Souls, and you can repeat that in about 15 seconds per run. After you've done that, you can power-through almost the entire game by just spamming Pyromancy that'll 1-hit-kill almost every mob, and even 1-hit-kill or 2-hit-kill almost all bosses with Power Within (which you get in Blighttown, and is just OP and amazing). You can up the damage of Pyromancy by quite a lot by farming Humanity, too. You simply go into the depths, and farm the rats, preferably using the Gold Serpent Ring from Sen's Fortress, until you go to about 30, which is when it stops scaling pyromancy IIRC. You don't even need a goddamn weapon, and can even beat the game at SL1 - as has been proven by multiple youtubers. But how about Queelag you say. She's immune to all pyromancy you say. Well, get a fast-firing bow, hundreds of arrows, and keep shooting at her female body. It has no poise and anything you hit said part with will poise break her and make the spider unable to move. There's also a safe spot in the area where you can do this from. Easily.

Fourth is that Magic is also completely OP, but not so much as Pyromancy, since you actually have to gain levels and stuff before magic really becomes an asset. You also need specialized gear, and Pyromancy doesn't. You can be anything and still have Pyromancy Maxed Out, whereas magic you need to spec for it. It's still very much powerful. In the beggining it's shit. But after you get Greater Soul Arrow and Greater Heavy Soul Arrow, both of which you can get just after Lower Undead Burg, and eventually Homing Soulmass and it's Greater version, which you can get after Sen's Fortress when you know what you're doing, it becomes insanely powerful.

So basically, Dark Souls is really only a difficult game the first or second time you play it, it then becomes a complete joke, because you can overlevel everything and anything, and you can always rely on pyromancy to be your go-to thing. What does it matter that stuff gets harder to kill in NG+ and beyond? You can still roll and dodge.

That's actually the 5th thing i wanted to talk about. Dodging. Dodging is really much, much better than armor, in 99,9% of the game. You can actually complete the game naked because there are NO situation where you're forced to tank a hit (1st Seath fight doesn't count since it's an auto-death either way - and that's why you procured a rare ring of sacrifice before then - That's also my biggest pet peeve with the game. NO GAME WHATSOEVER should force an auto-death). I don't like using Havel's Set for that reason, because it forces mid-rolling even with topped Endurance. It's always better to be less protected, but have the fast roll, than to have an awesome protection and mid-roll. You'll die much more if you aren't able to dodge. This is from experience... Only time it MAY better to wear armor is in PvP, if you use strength weapons and such, because then you can tank poise hits and still dish out the hurt.

Regarding O&S, yeah, Leo Ring beats Smough's Hammer any day of the week. Riposte is so strong after you get a really good piercing weapon, you don't even care anymore. Power Within + Red Tearstone Ring + Leo Ring + Riposte = One shot any parriable enemy in the game. You can actually one-shot Gwin with this i think. Power Within + Red Tearstone Ring is actually how people do 1-shot-all-bosses runs anyhow. Pyromancy gets ridiculous with this. Magic too, but not so much.

Anyway that's my final opinion on the game after dropping it for good.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
The main asset of Havel's armour is the high poise, not it's resistances. The main argument for the heavier armours is their increased poise value, which light armour can't replicate without sacrificing a ring slot.

The Leo Ring dosen't actually boost parries-it boosts counters. The Hornet ring boosts parries, while a counter hit is a strike on an opponent during a swing animation. Hitting someone with a Warpick and Leo Ring will probably splatter them across the highway of eternity, and is probably one of the real arguments for using Hammer class weapons.

Also, grinding up levels or gear, then complaining the game gets easy, is a little weird. It's easy because you overleveled your gear, what did you expect to happen?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »
Actually, there are two NPCs to get pyromancy spells from in the game (they both teach different spells too) besides the guy you probably freed waaaaaaaaaaaaay back on your way through the Undead Burg. One of them is a covenant (I forget her name, but basically, you trade humanity for going up levels in said covenant). THAT'S the one with the most damaging Pyromancy spells in the whole game. The other one can actually make your Pyro glove go above +15, plus she teaches a crapton of spells herself. While it is true that the Pyro glove is the only investment you need for pyromancy to work, it DOES have a hard cap - and the enemies don't. You also need to invest in attunement for multiple spell slots. So you can't rely on pyromancy all the freaking time...

That said, intelligence-based magic and gear can get pretty freakin' nasty...

Give me internets. Now.