Author Topic: OOC Thread  (Read 90832 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
OOC Thread
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
Character Creation Rules

Stats are standard point buy (27 points), which can buy you the array if you want the array.

All core options are allowed (although if you're going after a combo or something please tell me, my experience with 5e is minimal and I'm going to get angry if I find out that someone took advantage of me).  Anything outside of core is allowed on a case by case basis.

Everyone is level 1.  High op is not required, we're playing a premade adventure.

Allowed non-core material:
 - Hexblade
 - All racial feats from Xanathar's

If there's anything you'd like a ruling on just let me know.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
Players (not finalized)
Archon: Lizardfolk(?) ?
Linklord?: ? ?
Lost: Helf or Variant Human pending answer, Warlock[hexblade]
Osl: ? Paladin[?]
RD: ? Paladin[vengeance]
Strato: Dwarf Wizard[?]?
Versatility_Nut?: ? ?

Previous Pending Questions
Archon: Lizardfolk ok?
30ft land/swim; +2 con & +1 wis; +2 skills; ac 13+dex; bite 1d6+str & 1/rest 1+con temp hp on bite; can hold breath for 15mins, can craft weapons/shields using bones (no mechanical changes).
SorO: UA's Feats For Races ok?
Helf's elven accuracy, obtained as first ASI (lv4), if advantage then reroll an attack die. Combo is against cursed target roll 3d20 and pick highest for attack.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:48:41 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
I might just drag Kovoir over, since it appears that game is dead. Thoughts, Nan?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
For Oath of Vengeance, is there anything in particular it'd be useful to be really angry at?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »
Lizardfolk is a no-go.  Only races that at a minimum can pass as not monsters will work. 

SorO, that feat was reprinted in Xanathar's as Elven Accuracy.  That feat is approved.  All racial feats from Xanathar's are approved.  However, Hexblade's Curse doesn't grant advantage so what am I missing?

Kovoir is only allowed if that game actually is dead (we'll see what happens with the poke).  Otherwise make a new character.  :p

Raineh, I've created the IC thread with the initial premise of the adventure which should help.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
However, Hexblade's Curse doesn't grant advantage so what am I missing?
Me being forgetful and not knowing 5th too well. Elven Accuracy triggers when you have an Advantage on Attack Rolls and the Hexcurse's deal is it increases Critical Range. So the two of these things work together to increase the chance from 5% to 27.1%.

Edit - Sheet is pretty much done too. I took the lazy route of using starting gear over rolling money and then picked up a shield/weapon out of the background's gold. I'll just snag a chain shirt later on and just need ideas for languages.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:33:47 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »
...Well, it's a good thing we're sticking to Core, because I find myself desperately wanting to optimize everything to within an inch of its life. Also, I actually can't locate my books, so I'm really only going off of memory and memery.

To fill in the missing party slot, I'll go with the rather simple Hill Dwarf Life Cleric. Background optimization may occur later, when I start to get an idea of what kind of character I want to use. Also, there may be a Druid dip for Goodberry slot efficiency of out-of-combat healing. Possibly Moon Druid, for the additional shenanigans of the Bonus Action Wildshape to allow flight, but Land Druid with Coast is probably more useful if I go for 5 or more levels of Druid because... Well, Water Breathing and Water Walk as Circle Spells that don't need preparing.

Really, the degree of optimization is actually pretty strongly reliant on how well I can swing the in-character reasoning. If I can come up with a coherent reason for a Life Cleric to go Moon Druid, I'm jumping on that crazy train with great force, because just two levels of Moon Druid carry quite the bonus of emergency damage soak, and 8 levels, while cutting off actually knowing any spells above 6th level, gives the rather useful ability to get flying Wild Shapes(Moon Druids don't accelerate the restrictions on swim and flight speeds, right? If they don't, then 4 levels of Druid is almost certainly going to be in the build, if the game reaches level 10 or so, just for swimming Wild Shapes).

Now I need to go locate the point-buy rules and work out a background... And the expectation of Undead gets Strength off the dump stat list because Shadows do Strength damage, and I've had nasty experiences with the things in PF as a Brawler. Who dumped Int to get to 18 Strength(also had 13 Wis due to leftover points not being enough to buy back a point of Int penalty). Also wound up with a +1 Returning Cold Iron Dagger by level 3 due to bizarrely timed dungeon loot...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 04:52:32 PM »
Massive amounts of optimization aren't really necessary, I promise. 

You reminded me of the time I actually played monsters as easily distracted so as not to kill players with ability score damage before in a game with Shadows.  I had so much fun making them play whack-a-mole though...

Also, right now the plan caps out at level 4, 5+ will happen if people want to keep playing.

Edit: There will be side-treks, nobody should overspecialize.  If the game keeps going we can keep with the coastal theme but underwater combat won't be a big thing in general.  I don't even know if there are 5E rules for that...

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
My plan is starting with Polearm Master and getting Sentinel at level 4. Bit different from normal, but I still like Misty Step, and glaives are cool. :p

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »
SorO, I want you to know that your sheet makes me happy.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »
Okay, I'm reminded of the absurdity of point buy. Because it's trivial to get extremely broad bonuses and single large bonuses chew up points like crazy. SorO's character has two maxed out stats and is left with room for only one +1 bonus. After racial modifiers, I have a 16 in my casting score, one point lower than his, 15 Con, one point lower than his, 12 in Strength and Intelligence, both two points higher than his and 13 Dexterity, one point higher than his. And 8 in Charisma, which is quite possibly liable to bite me in the ass.

So I have one point of Con to go for a +3 modifier, one point of Dex to go for a +2 modifier for the cap on baseline AC with Medium Armor, four points between char-gen and maximum Wisdom and two +1s to saves I lack proficiency in and -1 to a save I have proficiency in that has a party member with a 17 in it and two party members likely to see a similarly inflated number, so my choice of dump stat isn't going to impact party performance very much. As long as my character isn't shoved into a delicate social encounter(although a Cleric is more likely to see such a thing), I'm pretty well set.

Edit: To just list what came out of this blatant optimizing, I've got 12/13/15/12/16/8 on ability scores.

As for underwater combat, you can always recycle rules for aerial combat. Those exist, right?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
Well, I'm set aside from a name and finding an appearance. I'm good.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:09:40 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »
I expect no underwater combat, and I think you're way overthinking your stats.  To each their own though.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
I expect no underwater combat, and I think you're way overthinking your stats.  To each their own though.

...not really doing a lot of thinking about it. If I was overthinking my stats, I'd be bringing up how feats come into the desired stat progression to reach all the goals at level 20. And I'll be getting the stat sheet as it is so far typed out tomorrow, shamelessly copying the formatting of SorO because that's a really clean way of doing it online. Doesn't have room for much in the way of prepared spells, but that's fine by me.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »
SorO, I want you to know that your sheet makes me happy.
Thanks, I modeled it after 5th's layout and just need to trim up the back end at some point.

Massive amounts of optimization aren't really necessary, I promise.
Depending on who you talk to Moon Druid really isn't all that powerful. Think of it like 3.5's Druid, the general high stats make it easy for anyone unsure how to build & play can probably stumble into something decent but in all reality it has such a low optimization plateau that other, better, Classes treat it as a dip or less.

Okay, I'm reminded of the absurdity of point buy. ... As for underwater combat, you can always recycle rules for aerial combat. Those exist, right?
Underwater combat rules appear in the PHB and are included in the index on the first page. And not only is 5th's bonuses lower but if you're using a generator you probably didn't notice PB cost was increased in 5th. In 3.5 it takes one point to increase your score from 13 to 14 but in 5th it costs two which makes it harder to obtain +2s in secondary/tertiary scores in 5th than 3rd. Which makes me sad  :(

shamelessly copying the formatting of SorO because that's a really clean way of doing it online. Doesn't have room for much in the way of prepared spells, but that's fine by me.
Mark what's prepared by using an asterisk.

And now you're making me want to clean up the code side so everyone else can easily use it.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:23 PM »

Hmmm, don't paladings only get the fighting style at 2nd level?

Also great pick choice!

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
And not only is 5th's bonuses lower but if you're using a generator you probably didn't notice PB cost was increased in 5th. In 3.5 it takes one point to increase your score from 13 to 14 but in 5th it costs two which makes it harder to obtain +2s in secondary/tertiary scores in 5th than 3rd. Which makes me sad  :(
I did notice. That's why Dex is 13 and base Con, before the Dwarven +2, is 14.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:57 PM »

Hmmm, don't paladings only get the fighting style at 2nd level?

Also great pick choice!

Oh yeah, I missed that was second level and first level was... LoH only. Odd. Technically, you don't even pick the oath stuff until level 3, but that's kind of a big deal to note beforehand. Paladins: all the same until they level up.

I'll just put it in parentheses for now, it's not like there'd be any point changing my mind on levelling.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:52:18 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
And now you're making me want to clean up the code side so everyone else can easily use it.
Ok I made a second pass at it and I cleaned the code up some. I also adjusted it for three columns at the bottom but you still have to manually wrap your text to keep the width from going nuts. Part of that is because the entire table isn't as wide as the page and you can't force a cell's size on here. But I made the bottom a little independent from the top so Spells/Features mostly just push the upper right stat block over.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
SorO, I request that you post that into the Character Sheet thread.

Edit: The main one that I manage, not the one for this game.