Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp  (Read 38037 times)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
Caerus circles to his right, stepping sideways and crossing one foot in front of the other.

Let’s try not to shoot the dwarf in the back, shall we.

He closes the distance between them to 30 ft. and his opportunity arises when the bear, now focused on Korgan, presents its profile.  Seeing this, Caerus swiftly pulls another arrow from his quiver, and in one motion, nocks it, draws, and fires.

(click to show/hide)

Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
Caerus' arrow hits the bear in the upper torso.  Soon after, a wheezing sound emits from the bear, replacing the growling and snarling that preceded.  It would appear that Caerus has punctured a lung.  The animal's back feet buckle and it falls to its good side, the shaft in its chest sticking straight up.  It is alive, but no longer a threat as it labors to breathe.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »
Nelio inspects the ground to check for footprints. Did the workers leave in a hurry (long strides) or did they leave at a normal pace?

After inspecting the ground, Nelio looks around and starts waving his arm with a sense of urgency, trying to signalling any of the guards, Captain Smith, or any of the group members to come over.
The rainfall and generally damp environment has prevented Nelio from discerning a pattern to the footprints he sees.

Hmm, I could use the ranger's help. I wonder if he's done with supper yet.

After inspecting the ground, Nelio looks around and starts waving his arm with a sense of urgency, trying to signalling any of the guards, Captain Smith, or any of the group members to come over.
The guardsmen meet Nelio soon after he waves them over.  They agree that the scene is odd, but can't seem to make heads or tails of the significance.  They continue the search, and widen the search area a bit in an attempt to find the missing craftsmen.

Let me see if Caerus can spare a moment to take a look at these tracks.

Nelio turns toward the building, puts his hands  up and shouts "Caerus! Caerus! Come here, I want you to take a look at something! Caerus!"

After a few moments and no answer, he gets the attention of the two halfling brothers - Flip and Flap. "Have you seen the half-elf? I would like to request his assistance in my investigation of the missing workmen. Can you please find him and relay the message?"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:17:22 PM by crazy_sherm »

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
Caerus' arrow hits the bear in the upper torso.  Soon after, a wheezing sound emits from the bear, replacing the growling and snarling that preceded.  It would appear that Caerus has punctured a lung.  The animal's back feet buckle and it falls to its good side, the shaft in its chest sticking straight up.  It is alive, but no longer a threat as it labors to breathe.

“Korgan, please deliver this poor creature. Your axe will bring more swift an end than my dagger.  There is no need to inflict any unnecessary pain”

Caerus explains as he slings his bow over his back.  He then walks toward Korgan and the dying bear.

“If we clean it hear, it will be much easier to carry back to camp.”

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
“Korgan, please deliver this poor creature. Your axe will bring more swift an end than my dagger.  There is no need to inflict any unnecessary pain”

Caerus explains as he slings his bow over his back.  He then walks toward Korgan and the dying bear.

“If we clean it hear, it will be much easier to carry back to camp.”

Korgan aims carefully with his axe and with a swift hard swing, he severs the spine of the bear at the neck.  Looking back at Caerus, he grins and winks, Next time, would you mind saving me a little of the fun?
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
Korgan aims carefully with his axe and with a swift hard swing, he severs the spine of the bear at the neck.  Looking back at Caerus, he grins and winks, Next time, would you mind saving me a little of the fun?

Caerus let's out a laugh.

"Apologies.  But I do appreciate your shield all the same."

Nodding his head, he kneels down, removes his gloves, and rolls up his sleeves.  Unsheathing his dagger, he begins to clean the animal.

After about 30 minutes of laborious work, Caerus emerges with his hands and forearms soaked in blood.

I'll clean up when we get back to camp.

"Take the head, Korgan.  I'll grab the hind legs."

We're heroes tonight!

With that he hoists the rear of the bear on his shoulders and the two start back to camp.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »
After a few moments and no answer, he gets the attention of the two halfling brothers - Flip and Flap. "Have you seen the half-elf? I would like to request his assistance in my investigation of the missing workmen. Can you please find him and relay the message?"
"Guard said they went out to find food."

"Which is weird, because there's boiled potatoes here already."

"Yum.  Anyway, we're gonna check out the new barracks."

"Guard says there's nothing in there, but we bet he's just keeping all the fun to himself."

"Wanna come with us?  You can call it part of your investigation."

...but we call it an adventure."

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
"Guard said they went out to find food."

"Which is weird, because there's boiled potatoes here already."

"Yum.  Anyway, we're gonna check out the new barracks."

"Guard says there's nothing in there, but we bet he's just keeping all the fun to himself."

"Wanna come with us?  You can call it part of your investigation."

...but we call it an adventure."

These two look like and talk like children. How immature... They do bring up a good point though, I have yet to investigate the barracks. Maybe there will be clues there left behind by the workmen.

"There is no point in waiting out here in the rain. I have done everything I can to check for clues out here and have decided now is time to investigate the barracks for other clues. Please, lead the way."

Nelio follows in closely behind the halflings, trying to literally size them up. Yes, I can see the tops of both their heads. That means I am taller than them.

Arriving at the barracks, Nelio manages to quicken his stride enough to get to the front door before the halflings. He opens the door and heads in, scanning the room for clues.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 12:47:51 AM »
Arriving at the barracks, Nelio manages to quicken his stride enough to get to the front door before the halflings. He opens the door and heads in, scanning the room for clues.

The barracks is half-finished.  Rain pours in from the section of roof that has yet to be completed.  The carpenters had the right idea when they built the top first.  The "floor" of the barracks is the ground; a bit dryer than the outside, but still muddy.  Under the portion of the roof that is complete there are storage lockers.  All but one are open, leading you to believe that they are intended for keeping the tools dry when not in use.

As Nelio peers into the unfinished building from the doorway, he sees motion out of the corner of his eye.  It appears to be coming from the closed locker.  Some debris has fallen in front of it, but Nelio swears he saw movement in the small space between the doors.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 01:04:30 AM »

The barracks is half-finished.  Rain pours in from the section of roof that has yet to be completed.  The carpenters had the right idea when they built the top first.  The "floor" of the barracks is the ground; a bit dryer than the outside, but still muddy.  Under the portion of the roof that is complete there are storage lockers.  All but one are open, leading you to believe that they are intended for keeping the tools dry when not in use.

As Nelio peers into the unfinished building from the doorway, he sees motion out of the corner of his eye.  It appears to be coming from the closed locker.  Some debris has fallen in front of it, but Nelio swears he saw movement in the small space between the doors.

Nelio stops in his tracks and raises his right hand to signal for the halflings brothers behind him to also stop. He then turns his head toward them and brings his index finger to his pursed lips, making a shushing sign. He turns back to face the room, staring intently at the storage lockers to see if he can make out what he saw moving just moments earlier. He tries to block out the white noise of the rain water pouring through the roof and concentrate on any noises coming from the locker.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »
Nelio stops in his tracks and raises his right hand to signal for the halflings brothers behind him to also stop. He then turns his head toward them and brings his index finger to his pursed lips, making a shushing sign. He turns back to face the room, staring intently at the storage lockers to see if he can make out what he saw moving just moments earlier. He tries to block out the white noise of the rain water pouring through the roof and concentrate on any noises coming from the locker.

The rain proves victorious over Nelio's eardrums, muffling any sound that may be coming from the locker.  Nelio does, however, see movement again.  This time Nelio sees the locker itself move as someone, or something, moves around inside it.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »

The rain proves victorious over Nelio's eardrums, muffling any sound that may be coming from the locker.  Nelio does, however, see movement again.  This time Nelio sees the locker itself move as someone, or something, moves around inside it.

Nelio points at the locker and whispers to the halflings, "There's something moving in the locker over there. I'm going to go open it, cover me." Nelio readies his tower shield, walks over to the locker, pushes the debris aside, and opens the locker.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
Nelio points at the locker and whispers to the halflings, "There's something moving in the locker over there. I'm going to go open it, cover me." Nelio readies his tower shield, walks over to the locker, pushes the debris aside, and opens the locker.

Moving the heavy debris aside, the door flings open to reveal a Human in the garb of a guardsman from Argos.  His skin, however, is...pale?  There's something very not right about his skin.  When he sees Nelio, the Human hisses and leaps forward to grab him.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »

Moving the heavy debris aside, the door flings open to reveal a Human in the garb of a guardsman from Argos.  His skin, however, is...pale?  There's something very not right about his skin.  When he sees Nelio, the Human hisses and leaps forward to grab him.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Caught off guard by the sudden opening of the door, Nelio lets out a slight gasp. Quickly regaining his composure, he grits his teeth as the pale human lunges for him. Drawing upon his years of training as the smaller opponent, Nelio sidesteps to the left at the last possible moment while sweeping his shield across his body in an attempt to turn the pale human's momentum against him.

What in gods name is this foul beast?

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 01:52:37 AM »
Failing to grab hold of Nelio, the Human now finds itself in between the Gnome and the armored Halfling.  Flip (or is it Flap?) takes advantage of the situation, draws his short sword, and takes a swing at the foe.  The sword connects, slicing the man's upper left arm.  A green fluid seeps out of the wound rather than the red blood you expected.

In response to the attack, the creature attempts to grab the Halfling; but is far too slow to even come close.  Seeing his brother in peril, the robed Halfling chants aloud from the doorway and a bolt of flame erupts from his outstretched finger to sear the enemy.  The creature hisses louder as it catches fire; tufts of hair and flesh burning away.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
Green blood?! This foul beast is surely unnatural!

In one fluid motion, Nelio takes a step forward to close the distance, all the while drawing his bastard sword. Putting all his strength behind a mighty swing at the pale human, he attempts to bring the blade down diagonally across the pale human's shoulder and neck.

"HEATHEN SCUM! I VANQUISH THEE TO THE NINE HELLS!!"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 03:01:58 AM »
As Nelio brings the bastard sword down, it takes with it a quarter of the creature from neck to armpit; cleaving it into two asymmetrical parts.  The same green fluid seeps from the wound created, and inside the creature where flesh and bone should be there is a system of tube-like structures.  They almost look like...roots?  Nelio hasn't heard about or read of a creature such as this.  His first impulse was to call it a zombie, but he knows that to be incorrect.

As the creatures body lay there, it continues to burn, adding credence to the presence of a root system beneath the surface.  This leads both Nelio and the Halfling mage to the conclusion that fire is a particularly effective weapon against it.

The caravan guards show up soon after the commotion.  Captain Smith says, "I knew this man.  He was a guardsman named Erith.  He was one of ten men sent to the swamp to find Josah's son.  I thought they were still camped at the ferry landing north of the crossroads."

None of the guards have seen or heard of a creature such as this.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
As Nelio brings the bastard sword down, it takes with it a quarter of the creature from neck to armpit; cleaving it into two asymmetrical parts.  The same green fluid seeps from the wound created, and inside the creature where flesh and bone should be there is a system of tube-like structures.  They almost look like...roots?  Nelio hasn't heard about or read of a creature such as this.  His first impulse was to call it a zombie, but he knows that to be incorrect.

As the creatures body lay there, it continues to burn, adding credence to the presence of a root system beneath the surface.  This leads both Nelio and the Halfling mage to the conclusion that fire is a particularly effective weapon against it.

The caravan guards show up soon after the commotion.  Captain Smith says, "I knew this man.  He was a guardsman named Erith.  He was one of ten men sent to the swamp to find Josah's son.  I thought they were still camped at the ferry landing north of the crossroads."

None of the guards have seen or heard of a creature such as this.

Nelio barely notices the caravan guards, still holding a tight grip on the sword with his right hand. After a few moments, he finally wipes the green goo off the blade and sheathes it back into his scabbard. Still staring at the burning remains of the creature, he addresses Captain Smith in a somber tone, "Whatever unfortunate fate befell this poor man was an abberation against nature, though I cannot say for sure what may have happened to him. After the body is done burning, we should gather the ashes that remain and return them to the guardsman's family for proper burial. It is likely there are more of his kind out there. It could be possible the same has happened to the workmen and other guards that are now missing. Any news on the search?"

Releasing his gaze upon the burning body, Nelio turns toward the halfling brothers, Great work distracting the creature for me. You are both worthy participants in my party. Were either of you injured? Do you require any healing?"

Nelio heads over to the now open locker and inspects the inside for any clues.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
Nelio barely notices the caravan guards, still holding a tight grip on the sword with his right hand. After a few moments, he finally wipes the green goo off the blade and sheathes it back into his scabbard. Still staring at the burning remains of the creature, he addresses Captain Smith in a somber tone, "Whatever unfortunate fate befell this poor man was an abberation against nature, though I cannot say for sure what may have happened to him. After the body is done burning, we should gather the ashes that remain and return them to the guardsman's family for proper burial. It is likely there are more of his kind out there. It could be possible the same has happened to the workmen and other guards that are now missing. Any news on the search?"

Releasing his gaze upon the burning body, Nelio turns toward the halfling brothers, Great work distracting the creature for me. You are both worthy participants in my party. Were either of you injured? Do you require any healing?"

Nelio heads over to the now open locker and inspects the inside for any clues.

Captain Smith says, "We can assume that whatever fate befell this man has also befallen the workers here.  We found a set of footprints leading north along the road.  The two Half-Orcs found them, and are tracking them north as we speak.  I'll send two riders ahead to warn them of what we've found here."

The armored Halfling replies, "Nah, he didn't get close since he was so slow.  And you got your first point!  Nice swing."

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
Captain Smith says, "We can assume that whatever fate befell this man has also befallen the workers here.  We found a set of footprints leading north along the road.  The two Half-Orcs found them, and are tracking them north as we speak.  I'll send two riders ahead to warn them of what we've found here."

The armored Halfling replies, "Nah, he didn't get close since he was so slow.  And you got your first point!  Nice swing."

Nelio raises an eyebrow at Flip (or is it Flap). "My first point...? No, I used the edge of my blade to slice into his wooden flesh, not the point. That would involve more of a stabbing motion, like this." He clenches his right fist at belt level and moves his arm in a quick back and forth motion, unaware how humorous this might appear.

Turning back to Captain Smith, "Captain, perhaps I should accompany the men north to warn the rangers. Argos has lost enough men, I pledge not to allow anymore to be harmed. Do you know how long the rangers have been tracking the footprints? Also, have you seen my half-elf companion?

Where is that darned half-elf when I need him?