Author Topic: The Blah Blah Blah Inn (OOC)  (Read 159328 times)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
Re: The Blah Blah Blah Inn (OOC)
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »
The problem with adding Light to the Illusion school is that Illusion is the other school (in addition to Evocation) that is Arcane only.

I'm still a little confused which spell list to use. For example, as a Paladin, do I use the Cleric 0-level spell list or am I also allowed access to Druid 0-level spells since they are both Divine? And of course, no illusion or evocation spells.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »
The problem with adding Light to the Illusion school is that Illusion is the other school (in addition to Evocation) that is Arcane only.

:o  :-\  :lol

That is hilarious on so many levels.  And here I thought I had it all figured out...

So we'll require an arcane caster for Light spells.  This system already took some Divine spell effects away (Flamestrike, Call Lightning).  It makes the different casters more unique at first.  Odds are the group will end up with an Arcane caster in a level or two anyway.

I'm still a little confused which spell list to use. For example, as a Paladin, do I use the Cleric 0-level spell list or am I also allowed access to Druid 0-level spells since they are both Divine? And of course, no illusion or evocation spells.

Drop the idea of spell lists altogether.  Focus instead on schools and effects.

As a Paladin, you have access to Divine spells.  Divine Spells include effects from the schools of Conjuration, Abjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Necromancy, and Transmutation.  Pick the effect you want, and limit the spell level to those available to you (0-level, in your case now).
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:35 AM »
Sorry I went out of turn in the surprise round.  I got a bit excited....

:bigeyes
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Sorry I went out of turn in the surprise round.  I got a bit excited....

:bigeyes

:lol

No worries.  I took the better part of an hour setting up the encounter, so I can understand your excitement.  I was giddy as hell typing it up.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

No worries.  I took the better part of an hour setting up the encounter, so I can understand your excitement.  I was giddy as hell typing it up.

Finally, some real action that doesn't involve a bunch of armored midgets trading snide insults.  :shakefist

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »

Finally, some real action that doesn't involve a bunch of armored midgets trading snide insults.  :shakefist

He just insulted you, Travis  :P

But seriously, what's the initiative order?  I haven't posted anything cuz I'm just waiting to see who goes first.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:04:32 PM by Kazgaroth »
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »

He just insulted you, Travis  :P

But seriously, what's the initiative order?  I haven't posted anything cuz I'm just waiting to see who goes first.

The initiative order is posted in the spoiler.  Creatures are at 6, 7, 12, 14, and 16.  You're at 22, Nelio at 17 and me at 7 (17 DEX).  Halflings haven't rolled yet.
There's also the surprise round.
You were supposed to go first, then me.  I acted out of turn.  We could say Korgan held his action   :p  Flap is supposed to go too, but appears dazed.

Regarding Sherman, I found out what Nelio does with that stick after hours.... poor Valiant....

:beathorse

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
I probably should've asked this earlier but the MicroLite doc says that a barbarian expends 4HP to go into a rage.  Is that correct?  Should it be 4MP?  Just wanted to clarify.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »
How does healing and HP recovery work in Microlite?  +X HP for a full day's rest or something?

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
How does healing and HP recovery work in Microlite?  +X HP for a full day's rest or something?

Don't forget, the ranger and paladin can cast cure minor wounds. Plus, for every 1HP the paladin sacrifices, he can lay on hands to heal 2HP. You just have to be willing to get a massage from Nelio. Be forewarned, he only knows deep tissue massage with unhappy endings.  :flutter

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
I probably should've asked this earlier but the MicroLite doc says that a barbarian expends 4HP to go into a rage.  Is that correct?  Should it be 4MP?  Just wanted to clarify.

The hit point cost is correct.  I am using variant rules for magic (standard MicroLite rules have no MP and cost HP to cast spells), but the hit point cost for Barbarians doesn't change.

Here's why it's a good thing:

1) the rage lasts until the end of the encounter (no worries if a fight goes into extra innings)
2) you get +2 to hit and damage for each 4 points you sacrifice
3) you reduce all damage taken by two each time you take any (DR 2/-) for each 4 points you sacrifice

#3 above is the big reason I like this.  If you know that you're going to take a couple of hits anyway, you will be better off raging early and getting the benefit of the +2 to hit & damage because your DR will pay for itself in as little as two hits against you.  And if you don't get hit, it's still very good.

It is essentially a gamble, but one with decent payoff for little cost in my humble opinion.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »

Actually it's better than that.  A full night's rest (6 hours) will restore all lost HP and MP.

While we're on the subject, if someone is damaged beyond 0 HP, damage then goes to STR and once STR is gone, they are dead.  Someone reduced to 0 or less is unconscious (no bleeding out) until the end of the encounter, where they are returned to 1d4 + character level HP by resting and bandaging wounds.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »

Actually it's better than that.  A full night's rest (6 hours) will restore all lost HP and MP.

While we're on the subject, if someone is damaged beyond 0 HP, damage then goes to STR and once STR is gone, they are dead.  Someone reduced to 0 or less is unconscious (no bleeding out) until the end of the encounter, where they are returned to 1d4 + character level HP by resting and bandaging wounds.

Good to know.  Anyone else feel that resting heals too much?  I feel like it takes some of the risk out of the adventure. Just find a hole to hide in for a night and the broken leg and multiple stab wounds are healed....  MP makes sense, but HP is too generous.  Maybe 1d6+Level per 6 hours rest?

Anyone else?

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
Andy, this is from the rules you sent:

Special Moves(trip, disarm, etc)
Roll an attack at -8 to hit against d20+your opponent’s to-hit bonus. If you roll higher, you succeed. If not, combat continues. If you’re using a weapon designed for the purpose (a sai to disarm, chain to trip, etc.) then roll attack -4 instead.

The way I read it, if he wants to grapple, he rolls at a -8 penalty, and I defend with a 1d20 + my melee.  I beleive you wanted me to roll with the penalty.  Why?  The defender should generally have the advantage because there's no "improved grab" feat, right?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:32:02 PM by NasT »

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
Good to know.  Anyone else feel that resting heals too much?  I feel like it takes some of the risk out of the adventure. Just find a hole to hide in for a night and the broken leg and multiple stab wounds are healed....  MP makes sense, but HP is too generous.  Maybe 1d6+Level per 6 hours rest?

Anyone else?

We're not in the dungeon yet. It might be more relevant in there.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »
Andy, I think you forgot Flip's (armored halfling) turn in the last initiative round. Nelio left him to fend for himself against the two monsters.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2013, 01:06:14 AM »
Andy, I think you forgot Flip's (armored halfling) turn in the last initiative round. Nelio left him to fend for himself against the two monsters.

I missed him in the spoiler, but he doesn't go until after Caerus.  You and he did not act in the surprise round, since you were both caught by surprise.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2013, 01:07:25 AM »
Andy, this is from the rules you sent:

Special Moves(trip, disarm, etc)
Roll an attack at -8 to hit against d20+your opponent’s to-hit bonus. If you roll higher, you succeed. If not, combat continues. If you’re using a weapon designed for the purpose (a sai to disarm, chain to trip, etc.) then roll attack -4 instead.

The way I read it, if he wants to grapple, he rolls at a -8 penalty, and I defend with a 1d20 + my melee.  I beleive you wanted me to roll with the penalty.  Why?  The defender should generally have the advantage because there's no "improved grab" feat, right?

Because I was operating from memory and should have looked it up first.  You are correct.

Perhaps if I had posted the rules here like Sherman asked, I might have had a good reference to draw from...

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
Because I was operating from memory and should have looked it up first.  You are correct.

Perhaps if I had posted the rules here like Sherman asked, I might have had a good reference to draw from...

If you guys still have access to my RPG Dropbox folder, the rules are there.  If you want/need access again, let me know.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »
I have some time today.  I'll start a rules thread.