Author Topic: Craft, Arhosa [Skill]  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Craft, Arhosa [Skill]
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
Craft
Crafting is, as the name implies, the ability to create an item, be it magical, non-magical, or somewhere on the spectrum in between. It is used by all characters in the game who wish to create an item of some form or another, and is generally a class skill for every class.

Creating an Item: Making items takes 1 hour for every 500gp of market price. If a crafter fails the Craft check by 5 or more, he ruins half the raw materials and has to pay half the original raw material cost again. Due to the complications involved, a crafter may never take 10 or 20. The market price of all magical items is increased by 50% over what is listed in the SRD/elsewhere.
Mundane Items: The craft check for mundane items is DC 15 for normal mundane items, and DC 20 for masterwork or otherwise complex or superior items. The maximum value of a mundane item that a crafter may create is equal to 200gp * the number of skill points invested into Craft. If the maximum value he may create given under Magical Items is higher, use that instead.
Magical Items: The craft check for magical items is DC 20, +10 for every point of total enhancement bonus. For weapons, armour, and shields, treat enhancements that do not have an enhancement bonus listed as if they required an enhancement bonus equal to the closest enhancement bonus in cost. For items that would not normally have an enhancement bonus, such as wondrous items, compare the cost to the enhancement bonus table and treat them as if they were the enhancement bonus closest to their total cost (using the armour table [increased by 50%, as above], and rounding up if necessary). Crafters can create magical items with an enhancement bonus up to the total given on the chart below.

Level Skill Enhancement
1     4     
2     5     
3     6     
4     7     
5     8     +1
6     9     
7     10   
8     11   
9     12   
10    13    +2
11    14   
12    15   
13    16   
14    17   
15    18    +3
16    19   
17    20   
18    21   
19    22   
20    23    +4

Synergy: If you have 5 ranks in Craft, you get a +2 bonus on Appraise checks.

Untrained: This skill can be used untrained. It cannot make magical items untrained.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:16:54 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
Re: Craft, Arhosa [Skill]
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:22:29 AM »
Where an item would previously have cost XP to craft, replace that cost with 5gp for every 1 XP it would have cost.
Am I wrong in thinking that the XP cost was already included in the item (eg the Tome of Clear Thought inherent bonuses costing ~2000 for the item, +25000 for the 5K XP)?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:19:16 AM »
Oh, it probably was. But you still had to pay the XP under the old system. There's no XP cost in this one. It converts all the remaining XP cost into even more gold (which does make the items quite expensive).

This is more or less required because I don't give out XP, I give out levels :P

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »
Items will cost 40% more to craft, and 80% more to buy, lacking XP costs. Should there be an XP cost normally, only the gold-based price is increased, while the XP-based cost is doubled. (see: Wish; the 25k cost for the experience is doubled in the purchase price).

Items will also take twice as long to craft, but with the 40% increased cost, items will take 280% of the original time to craft. However, mundane items are now extremely fast to craft, due to everything being lumped together.

Do you compare price to find effective crafting bonus before or after the experience cost? (Because more expensive items are affected more by the increase)? Do you compare it to armor or weapons (weapons cost twice as much, remember!)?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Items are crafted a fair bit faster, actually - it's 500gp an hour instead of 1,000gp a day. It means campaigns need a lot less downtime in order to accommodate crafting. And mundane items can be made in an hour, with the right material.

It's the total market gold cost, so it includes the XP -> gold conversion in it. So that 3,250gp +1 longsword from the other post takes 7 hours to make, and can be made at level 4. And you compare to the weapons table.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:11:17 AM »
Tweaked this to mention which enhancement bonus table to use (Armour).

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
And you compare to the weapons table.
Tweaked this to mention which enhancement bonus table to use (Armour).
Ooh, that's new and different. And... somewhat odd, really. Because at level 4, you have a WBL of 5400gp, but can't craft anything above 1000gp; and in Arhosa, that's only ~710 standard-gold worth. Can't make wands, almost any wondrous items, or weapons until level 6. May have forgotten that +40% applies to the armor table as well.

I mean you still have a very, very small subset of magic items you can craft until level 6, but maybe that's what you're going for?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
To explain the change, or at least why I'm playing around with it, is because I want Arhosa, in terms of magic items, to feel a little bit like old school D&D (you use what you find) mixed with the ability to craft some replacement gear, but not simply swap out everything you've got until you reach your perfect gear. One of the ways to do that is to push crafting a bit behind the "find" curve, so that while a PC can expect to have found a few bits and pieces of nice gear by level 4, he can't immediately turn around and craft them into exactly what he wants.

Also, you're looking at the math a little bit wrongly. That enhancement bonus cost restrictions applies to items that do not have an enhancement bonus - i.e. not weapons, armour, and shields. Armours, weapons, and shields can be crafted when their enhancement bonus number shows up on the table. Other items, such as staves, wands, and wondrous items are restricted to a cost that equals the cost of the enhancement bonus. So what this change does is cut down on the extraneous Christmas tree items that every character carries hundreds of by making them harder to craft.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
To explain the change, or at least why I'm playing around with it, is because I want Arhosa, in terms of magic items, to feel a little bit like old school D&D (you use what you find) mixed with the ability to craft some replacement gear, but not simply swap out everything you've got until you reach your perfect gear. One of the ways to do that is to push crafting a bit behind the "find" curve, so that while a PC can expect to have found a few bits and pieces of nice gear by level 4, he can't immediately turn around and craft them into exactly what he wants.

Also, you're looking at the math a little bit wrongly. That enhancement bonus cost restrictions applies to items that do not have an enhancement bonus - i.e. not weapons, armour, and shields. Armours, weapons, and shields can be crafted when their enhancement bonus number shows up on the table. Other items, such as staves, wands, and wondrous items are restricted to a cost that equals the cost of the enhancement bonus. So what this change does is cut down on the extraneous Christmas tree items that every character carries hundreds of by making them harder to craft.
Is that not what I said?

Ah, yeah, I did say weapons, but figured out my mistake and struck it out. Alright, well, as long as it's what you're going for :D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »
Ah, yeah, I did say weapons, but figured out my mistake and struck it out. Alright, well, as long as it's what you're going for :D

The flipside of that coin is that a PC should be able to manage in combat at a Tier 3 level using just his class abilities and whatever gear is available. It's why so many of my classes have unlimited use abilities that come online at low level - they stop the "2 spells and a crossbow" crap that low level wizards run into, as well as the "I power attack for 1" dullness of a first level fighter, while being better than both. Spellsong takes that to an extreme, but I don't really mind. Makes the game more fun on both sides of the table.