Author Topic: Chapter I: Legend of Griselda-Pirates Awakening  (Read 164555 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Chapter I: Legend of Griselda-Pirates Awakening
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Molida's Island

City's Main Hall.

Dawn of the First Day

Most of the local able adult population is inside the large stone building that stands in the middle of the city. Altough the other surrounding buildings are mostly made in wood worked in the elegant elven style that blends with the nature around, the  Main Hall clearly stands out with the tall and geometric Hyrulian style, a sign of who the city belongs to. At least until today.

With the city's fishing boats having reported a large ship aproaching fast from high sea. With no visible identifications, and clearly capable of carrying a sizeable force and artillery, few doubt it's a pirate raid, in particular because there's no Hyrulian warships in the island right now, leaving it quite exposed. Captain Viscen of the Hyrulian Guard has called this meeting to try to recruit in volunteers to help defend the city from the iminent  attack. The local barracks house some dozen well trained and equiped soldiers, and there's a couple battery emplacements in the coast, but from the latest news of how viscious the pirates have grown, Captain Viscen clearly wants every bit of help he can get.

"Listen carefully everybody!"-he says from the Main Hall podium, dressed in the typical army green tabbard over a chain shirt, his rank denoted by golden linings at the edges-"A pirate ship aproaches to pillage Molida. Our navy is unable to protect us today, so I'm forced to do a stand on the beach to protect this city-our city. If any of you would choose to fight with us today, we'll supply you with proper military gear, and you'll receive a monetary reward and a letter of commendment for services to the Hyrulian crown, which as you know can open you all kinds of doors in the future. We'll also cover any and all healing expenses of those who fight by our side, and should you die fighting alongside us, your family we'll receive a pension for your sacrifice. And finally bear in mind, our best hope of surviving this day is we stand togheter!"

"Where do I sign up?"-asks a young-looking chestnut haired man among the crowd, composed of some hundred villagers-"I never liked you military guys much, but I'll gladly pick up arms against any invaders!"

"Tsk"
-scoffs an older looking elf-"Who says they come to attack us? I believe they come only for the taxes coffers. Or the temple ruins you always guard so zealously. Either way it's the Guard's problem, not of us simple people. If we just stay out of the way, we won't get hurt."

"Well"
-interrupts a large man with a thugish look-"How much are you willing to pay for our help anyway? I don't mind a good brawl, specially if I can get some coin out of it, but if you're cheapstakes, I would rather fight for the pirates!"

"Sympathy towards the pirates will not be tolerated!"-roars Captain Viscen-"Do you wish to be thrown into the dungeons?"

The crowd falls silent with this, and Captain Viscen doesn't say anything else either, clearly uncofortable with the job of his current position.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:54:47 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter I: Legend of Griselda-Pirates Awakening
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
A small twelve year old boy pipes up.  "I'll help protect the town!" He steps forward and what appears to be a four legged reptile covered with leaves steps up with him.  The plant-lizard is larger than the child and says "Bayleef Bayleef Bay leeeef!"

"That's right Bayleef, we're in this together!"  The boy grins and pats his Bayleef on its side.  "We're always willing to lend a helping hand and protect those in need."

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
A heavy set of footfalls is heard from the back of the gathering as the thing found by the fallen star walked forward. It looked like a man, except in every way that it didn't. It loomed over the twelve year old, and his arboreal reptile, and even stood taller then the average Hyrulian. Covered in dark blue plate, with a shimmer of lighter colors along straight edges, it looked more like a monster then anything else, with legs that had an extra knee, with hands that less fingers then any other man's. Most of the townsfolk were rather happy that it kept to the outskirts, and rarely even looked towards the town. The townsfolk may have suppressed the urge to cut it open and search for hearts or riches, but it was still ugly... and what kind of name was that for a monster... "Rabbit"...

With a hiss that startled some of the nearer folks, the helmet pulled up and was removed. It had a face that had four more eyes then any proper face should have, and teeth. Oh by the Goddesses the teeth. For a moment, it was silent, then there was a green light near its throat from inside the Darknut'esq armor, and then it spoke.

"While you have been distant, you have not been unkind. I know the terror and evil that *grumble* Pirates can bring. I swore to stop the *grumble* Pirates, wherever they threaten innocents." he paused, "Therefore, I will aid you in repelling and defeating the *grumble* Pirates."

Rabbit inwardly cursed. The Voxalmotive Translator device never learned their word for 'Space'...

Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
A young man in an old, beat-up Hylian Guard uniform leans against a wall, sneering silently in the general direction of the Captain.  The faded and threadbare green of his tabard shows conspicuous threads where a rank insignia has been forcibly removed.  The weapons at his sides are well-kept and well-used, however.

Zax shoulders his gear and heads toward the beach alone, pointedly ignoring the rest of the guard.  Like that damn Captain will be of any use.  Commissioned officers never know what they're doing... all of them are probably screwed.  I like this place, though... might as well head down on my own, see what I can do.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:19:55 AM »
Although she enjoyed the good air of the great outdoors Pha had grown weary of wandering the tall grasses of the country.
Finding 'pokemons' was more lame than she thought it'd be considering they hadn't found a single one since they had left the cavern.
It was no wonder she gladly welcomed their stop in town.

Now, with the pirate's imminent attack, Pha felt energized in seeing so many potential heroes... perhaps even a legendary hero!
The thought was thrilling but she knew she was probably imagining things.

She turned around to face Rabbit as it voiced to its willingness to help.
Little girl that she seemed to be, there wasn't much in this world that could really scare Pha... but that thing had an otherworldly air to it that was disconcerting.
Still - it seemed somewhat... nice? But if there had to be but a single legendary hero in this room, she hoped it wouldn't be it. It wasn't cute enough to be good n' proper legend material.

Pha did not answer to the captain's invitation to help, content in just following Jeremy around. If talked to she'd just keep repeating the same random word to pass herself as one of his pokemon and so avoid some awkward conversations.
After all... she wasn't really supposed to be there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:21:59 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
Captain Viscen seems somewhat relieved from geting the suport of the most "foreign" members of the crowd. The thug quickly silences down with a compromised look, while several other young men and elves step forth also wanting to volunteer, clearly inspired by the party members. Others yet discretly step back and excuse themselves as needing to watch over their families.

Meanwhile some of the older elves that had gathered in a circle whispering among each other open up and one of them speaks, clearly representing the others:

We'll fight to defend this city-But we won't take your orders or your gear. We'll fight with our ancestor's weapons and armor that you so "kindly" let us keep.

The pride and arrogance on his voice are pretty evident, but Captain Viscen doesn't seem to be bothered by it in the least, actually puting up a small smile.

"All help  anyone is willing to give is welcome. Very well, those of you who do not have combat gear yet please follow me to the armory. Everybody else gather at the beach!"

The armory itself is a small fortified building of stone and metal with two tough-looking sentries. The captain orders them to open the door and with the help of his aids he starts distributing the gear inside among the volunteers.

(click to show/hide)

Captain Viscen then guides the freshly equiped militia to the beach, flanked by the city's walls. Two emplacements house three light bombards each, and between them is the docking bay. There's also several nearby civilian houses, which should already been evacuated, plus abandoned pots and boxes scattered among the sand, normally used to carry trade wares. The captain then starts throwing orders:

Anyone of you who has any kind of talent with siege weaponry goes to the battery emplacements! Everybody else take cover behind the buildings or whatever you can find! We don't have enough men to form a proper defensive line, so we'll make them come for us at the chokepoints!

Then captain Viscen aproaches Zax:

I want to personally thank you for your suport. Even tough you're no longer part of the Guard, you still hear the call to serve the people. If you wish, after this battle I can make sure you're admited in our ranks again.

To Jeremy, with a patternal tone:

At first I tought you were just a foolish kid, but that monster you have with you... A regular kid wouldn't be able to make him follow as a pet. Still, don't make any foolish moves. I would rather not have to borrow any child today

To Rabbit, with an interested look.

Ah, so you have a story against the pirates? Ever wondered about joining the Hyrulian Guard? We've had plenty of troubles with them recently, you surely could advance your agenda with us!

To Pha Eris, with a bow:

You're... No simple fairy companion are you? I didn't feel a presence likes yours ever since I visited a greater fairy shrine. No need to answer. Your presence here with us is blessing enough.

(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
Then captain Viscen aproaches Zax:

I want to personally thank you for your suport. Even tough you're no longer part of the Guard, you still hear the call to serve the people. If you wish, after this battle I can make sure you're admited in our ranks again.

Zax instinctively gives Viscen an appropriate salute from a Sergeant to a Captain, then cuts it off halfway through to glare sullenly at the Captain's left shoulder.  "I've heard sweet talk before, but your folk can't ever seem to remember my name afterwards.  Anyway, I don't need your charity.  How 'bout we both focus on staying alive, and we'll figure out the rest later?"

He hesitates for a second, wondering if he should wait to be dismissed, then turns on his heel and takes up his position, stringing his bow and making sure his sword is sharp and his shield is true.  He takes a few swings, and practices the trademark Hylian style of quick weapon changes.

(click to show/hide)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »
Rabbit accompanied the other volunteer warriors to the armory for outfitting. Though they lacked a proper armament as he saw it, he never said No to the offer of explosives. He took only three, to make sure that everyone got a fair share. In his trained eyes, they lacked the proper ability to properly repel a true Urtraghustrian incursion, but they had spirit. That would ensure that they perished with dignity.

As he stood on the beach, he listened to the Captain ask about familiarity with siege weaponry, though there wasn't a single Vigilance Galvan Cannon in sight. They Hyrulians, or whatever they called themselves, were way behind. As he was approached by the Captain, he listened to his words. Enlist with the Hyrulian Guard? Him? A tempting offer, plus this world wasn't on the logs of the Galactic Federation. He could ensure that no child of Hyrule would awaken to the fear of Urtraghustrian industry, while at the same time filling his log book with lots of data on an unknown civilization. Tempting, but first matters first. He didn't know the Captain by name, or rank, so he would address him as something complimentary.

"Your offer of military integration is tempting, Field Commander. Let us live through tonight first." he starts, donning his helmet and ensuring the environmental seals are secure. "When the particles settle, we shall speak of the future."

Rabbit really regretted his choice of quantum modular attachments at this moment, though as they came online he readied himself. To face his old comrades again. To defy High Command once again, and to die a free pi... no. To die a free sentient.

His thoughts were interrupted as his power suit's operating system came online, with readouts dancing along his tactical glasses as well as the overlay within his helmet.

-- Designation: Rabbit 45-J4
Life Support: Assured
Toxicity Readings: Within Tolerance
Phazon Corruption: Within Tolerance

Vital Signs:
- Accellerated Heart-Rate: Tolerable
- Accellerated Respiratory Rate: Tolerable

Current Quantum Module Selections:
You have allocated 9 of your 9 units of personal energy

Module E74 Exploration Module Version IX [Optical Mount Selected]: Primed. Exploration Module online. Rerouting 2 units of energy to environmental barriers.
Module G19 Gravity Boost Module Version III [Back Mount Selected]: Primed. Gravity Booster online. Rerouting 2 units of energy to gravitic stabilizers.
Module A43 Alternate Form Module Version VI [Utility Mount Selected]: Primed. Alternate Form Module Online. Rerouting 1 unit of energy to morphic stabilizer. Recon Sphere available.
Warning: High Command is Not Responsible for any grievous or fatal injuries incurred during usage of Recon Sphere!

Internalized Alacritous Reflex System Detected. Allocating 2 units of energy to optic fiber reflexive system
Internalized Cognition Detection System Detected. Allocating 2 unit of energy to Delta-Scan inference field

Checking for unread messages.... ..... ..... Unable to connect to GF.Mail.Com:8080

You are on solar cycle
65565 of your 30 day trial of Angry Chozos

Rabbit prepped for a render swap to his Corrosion Induction Module. It would all depend on these next few hours. He bid the Captain with a nod, then moved to position AC15. As he passed Zax, he gave the fellow warrior a nod. It seemed, from one outcast to another...

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »
Jimmy follows the Captain into the armory and accepts the offer of Goron Bombs.  He then goes to the beach with everyone else.

After the Captain speaks with him Jeremy nods wisely.  "Don't worry Captain, my Pokémon and I know what we're getting into.  Helping those who can't help themselves is part of our motto!"  He then gives the Captain a thumbs up as he takes Bayleef to find a good position.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:21 AM »
Kurt, who didn't speak up initially, none the less follows the captain into the armory.
He takes his allotment of the bombs.
"I think I'd do my best from over there"
and Kurt proceeds to L18.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
So much for discretion, but the captain's understanding was touching. She answered with a mere but gracious nod, remaining silent for the moment.
She looked at the horizon, unsure she really wanted people to kill one another as was pretty much inevitable once they would reach the shore.
Perhaps there was a way to stop it, but that was a hero's job.
Looking at Jeremy and those assembled she couldn't think of any way to prevent a terrible bloodshed one way or another.
It sucked but such was the way of things.

When she took a glance at the armory she couldn't see anything that'd suit her better. Her current armament felt ridiculous but she couldn't dismiss its usefulness. The goron bombs, however, looked so very dangerous and amusing in their own way.
Ships usually being made of wood and sails looking rather flammable it came to her that perhaps they could avoid some casualties if they limited their progress. Perhaps flying high up to meet the ship and dropping a few bombs at it would have them catch on fire and, perhaps, discourage them.

Unsure if she could pull it on her own, she consulted with the captain first .
"I do not know how to operate your machines but I can fly and drop some explosives upon their ship."

Otherwise she was content in simply flying over the border waters and cover them with a few layers of ice. If anything it would make their attack a little more difficult.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
"I do not know how to operate your machines but I can fly and drop some explosives upon their ship."

Listening to this Kurt gets quite happy, as he figures, if they can't sail, the bad people might give up the fight. Even if it's just because they'd have no way to get away.

"Oh, OH, I can float too! Can we do that? It might, like, slow them down, or something."

A nine inch tall ball of blue speaks up.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »
Something in Rabbit's mind just clicked...

Keeping a low profile as he dashed across the staging ground, Rabbit joined up with Pha and Kurt. Once there, he reached into his side holster, and retrieved a glass sphere about the size of a coin with a engraved feather upon it. Inside the glass token there was a dark spot in the exact center.

"Here." he offers it to whoever takes it. "This is a caged singularity. Hurl it against the enemy craft, and it will be held in place for one solar cycle." he explained, "Though, it is impossible to recreate out here, so do not miss."

"This will immobilize their primary vessel, forcing them to either swim independently or take smaller craft, which will disperse their military effectiveness. As I can explore underwater areas without hassle, I can wait out under the waters and attack the smaller craft, neutralizing the threat they pose and further dispersing their military effectiveness." the Pirate Turned Soldier explained. "Once you neutralize their primary craft, that is."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:57:31 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
Pha took the device ceremoniously, studied it for an instant, smiling.

"Let us hope it will dissuade them."
Turning to the captain, she inquired about the range of his siege machines. If they were to immobilize their craft, might as well keep it where they can strike it down if a peace cannot be made.

Keeping the device in hand, she would fly (run action) just above the waves to the captain's designated range and dive into the water. Waiting for the pirate ship to pass by so that she may plant the object directly upon its surface.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
Before Pha took off, Rabbit put a hand near her. Galactic Federation code thirty seven twenty frowned upon unwelcome contact between sentients. They called it Battery, or something. Probably where the term "Charged" came from.

"Wait." a pause, "Maybe these are younglings, or just fools. They approach openly and visibly, but take no other additional actions to inspire fear." Rabbit turned his helmet to now include the Captain in this address. "There is more to this assault then the singular ship. We've set our trap, but theirs is springing. The assault will come from the water, but not from a boat. Or from behind us." Rabbit looked beyond the group, back towards the town. "Field Commander, take some reinforcements from the rear line and fortify the town. If we are routed, then we can withdraw to a fortified location. If they require our aid, we can withdraw the next most rear line." he said.

"Though, we should make it LOOK like all our defense is here." he motioned to this dock. The blue girl's plot to freeze the water was a good start. "Thicken that ice wall, if you can." he motioned, "If it were me assaulting this port, I'd walk right out from the water."
Link to my homebrews

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »
The little blue ball puffs up its cheeks as if to announce that he's about ten different levels of determined. Maybe he has something to prove, maybe he wants acknowledgement for something, maybe he's confused about where he is, but he is determined to do something.
"Alrighty! Then as you guys do all that to get ready, I'll be over there."

And so he proceeds to the rear portion of the northern emplacement. (L18)

Mumbled, while standing at the emplacement:
"Maybe I should go for a dip? The funny-looking thing said the badies might just walk up the water..."
(Funny-looking thing is Rabbit. I doubt that he's seen anything like your suit before.)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »
Rabbit was impressed. There was a good chance that this little... whatever the Norfair he was... was on his way to die, and yet he faced his final moments on this geosphere with courage and determination. That took guts.

-- Cursory scan of targeted lifeform indicates lack of designation 'guts' -- Fatal exception occurred during query escalation to refined scanning equipment. Recommend installation of GF-Mo...

Rabbit just shook his head, and cancelled the message with a thought. Of course, for a pirated copy of the GF omnisuit operating system, it wasn't half bad. He figured this was all the time they'd have for proper recon, or to fully dig in. The puff of whatever seemed determined, as did the aberrant gynoid with seemingly integrated cryo-core functionality. Perhaps this species was the inspiration for such... Fascinating. Rabbit made a notation for further study.

-- Subject indexed for further study. Cross-reference with Cryocore module --

He then turned to the Captain, "Field Commander, do we have an estimate on the time to visual contact with the incoming enemy vessel?"
Link to my homebrews

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 12:15:17 AM »
Pha dutifully went to thicken the ice she had set.
When it got so thick she thought it could withstand the weight of a tree she decided to enlarge the frozen surface by an extra 20 feet toward the sea, but with the ice layer remaining at its weakest. She imagined that if someone tried to come up from the sea and climb the thick ice it would do no good unless their pierced through that weak edge first, perhaps only to see it shatter under their weight as they attempt the climb.
If they were to pierce through it to climb the thick layer they would give time for archers to aim and wait for them to climb to feed them some arrows.

A good plan, she thought.
When she was done with all of that, she returned to Rabbit, almost expecting new directions.
That strange creature seemed to know what it was talking about and was, until proven otherwise, their unofficially designated expert in pirate attacks.

When all would be done she would jump into the sea and keep an eye for underwater assailants. When the pirate ship will be in sight she will begin to get in position to begin the creature's anchoring plan.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
Things were shaping up nicely... this could actually work.

Rabbit took a look around, observing the scene and working out his next move. Where to begin, though?

-- Tactical Analysis Complete. Displaying tactical discrepancies:
  • Site is vulnerable to tactical orbital bombardment. Dominant local civilization lacks required resources for Class IV Repulsor Field
  • Site is vulnerable to aerial assault. Dominant local civilization lacks required resources for Vigilance Class Turrets.
  • Site is... <Cancel Command Received>

This was going to be harder then he thought. He had the assistance of the aberrant gynoid, along with the puff of ... Designations would very much help.

He turned his attentions towards Pha, and gave the creature a nod. "Excellent work. The ice will help improve our chances. Well done." Whether it was High Command or the Galactic Federation, it was all the same. Praise was the greatest motivator.

Well, no time like now. "Names make everything simpler. My name is Rabbit. I should have asked the indeterminable globule of sentient protomatter its chosen name before it left."

"Also, there was another warrior, and a youngling... with a creature."

Referencing recording timestamp 3865:19:5:24.
"I'll help protect the town!"........................ "Bayleef Bayleef Bay leeeef!".............................."That's right Bayleef, we're in this together!"

Re-referencing recording timestamp 3865:19:5:87 to 3865:19:6:42
"That's right Bayleef, we're in this together!"

Re-referencing recording timestamp 3865:19:6:02 to 3865:19:6:19
"Bayleef"
End Playback

"You've contributed well to the defenses. We should see what, if anything, the youngling, his creature, and the warrior can do to bolster defenses." it paused, "You may accompany if you wish."

Rabbit then made his way over towards Jeremy, heavy footfalls against the stonework dock yard. "Youngling." it addressed Jeremy, then knelt down to be less imposing to the frail child. "Your creature... Bay Leaf... what can it do?" he asked, "And how well does it handle water, or the cold?"
Link to my homebrews

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
Jeremy smiles up at the strange man innocently.  "My name is Jeremy!"  He gestures to Baleef.  "This is Bayleef.  Remember, Bayleef not Bay Leaf.  She can throw her leaves, they're really sharp!  She doesn't swim or resist cold very well though, none of my Pokémon do."  Jeremy then reaches for his belt, which everyone can see is covered with mystical orbs, and detaches what looks to be a seven and a half pound ball of iron.  (How his belt stays up is a mystery best left unexplained.)  He then holds it up in both hands.  "I also throw this to help my friends!"

He points at one of the mystical orbs.  "This is Machop, he's good at moving around and hitting things."  He points to another.  "This is Ponyta, she's a fire horse."  He then points to a third.  "And this is Ivysaur, he likes to wrestle with his vines!"