Author Topic: Fun Finds v6.0  (Read 269772 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v6.0
« Reply #640 on: February 01, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »
"turning is considered an attack for the purpose of adjudicating other effects, such as invisibility." ~RC's addition

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 01, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
"turning is considered an attack for the purpose of adjudicating other effects, such as invisibility." ~RC's addition

Such as, but not limited to.

Offline Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 01, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »
The key word is "other": turning is an attack for adjudicating other effects, but not for adjudicating itself.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #643 on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
So, basically Turning is an attack, so long as it matters if it is an attack for the purposes of anything else, but is not actually an attack in itself, so can't be affected as if it were an attack by other effects?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 01, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »
Exactly.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline TuggyNE

• Pondering the nature of identity
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 02, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
So, basically Turning is an attack, so long as it matters if it is an attack for the purposes of anything else, but is not actually an attack in itself, so can't be affected as if it were an attack by other effects?

I would put it a bit differently. It's an attack, but it's not one that has an attack roll, any more than sleep's rolled HD limit is an attack roll. (Both turning checks and turning damage are sufficiently similar, even though one looks more like an attack roll than the other.)
Sweet martial OotS-style avatar by Ceika over on GitP.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 02, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »
Another way to put it:

Turning is an attack, but because there is no attack roll, nothing that gives bonuses to such ever effects Turning.  Likewise, Turning deals no damage (some specific feats and abilities aside), so bonuses to damage rolls never apply.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:34 PM »
Another way to put it:

Turning is an attack, but because there is no attack roll, nothing that gives bonuses to such ever effects Turning.  Likewise, Turning deals no damage (some specific feats and abilities aside), so bonuses to damage rolls never apply.

That might be a little more problematic, since if you do manage to tack on damage dice onto turning, then you might, say, make sneak attack turning...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #648 on: February 03, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »
i believe in the Turning w/ Sneak Attack. the srd entry under rogue makes no mention of a required kind of attack, just that rogue attacks do extra damage.

(minor side bar:
i know its ridiculous, but reading over Sneak Attack on d20srd on the rogue page. it kinda dosnt say anything about an attack roll for SA. just "any time~denied dex ~or flanked")
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 03, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's been agreed that Magic Missile can do SA damage too, yes?  Presumably the only thing required for SA's "attack" is it does some form of hit point damage.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 03, 2015, 01:07:44 AM »
Another way to put it:

That might be a little more problematic, since if you do manage to tack on damage dice onto turning, then you might, say, make sneak attack turning...
Perhaps.  It's pretty clear the intent is not to have +attack or + damage apply to Turning checks, though.

I guess a better way to put it is "Turn Undead is flagged as an attack for if/then statements, not for numerical purposes."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:09:44 AM by snakeman830 »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 03, 2015, 04:16:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's been agreed that Magic Missile can do SA damage too, yes?  Presumably the only thing required for SA's "attack" is it does some form of hit point damage.

I thought it was the opposite, in fact.  Only things that require an attack roll are eligible for Sneak Attack. 

Quote from: Complete Arcane pg 85
Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage functions as a weapon in certain respects, whether the spell deals normal hit point damage, nonlethal damage, ability damage, or energy drain. Such spells can threaten critical hits, can be used in sneak attacks, and can be used with favored enemy damage bonuses.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 03, 2015, 10:59:49 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Meh, too long.  Burying it in a spoiler.  Back to fun things rather than pedantry.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Warforged make excellent Bardblades/Bardsaders; taking 3 levels in Reforged increases all Morale bonuses you benefit from by 1.

Throw on some levels of Battle Howler of Gruumsh, and you stack a +2 bonus on whatever you normally get from class levels.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #654 on: February 03, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
Speaking of turning... Since it is specifically called out as an attack for effects such as invisibility... Does this mean that you can use Turn Undead as a cheap-o area of effect Purge Invisibility? Turning normally doesn't affect living creatures, but since it counts as an attack, and breaks invisibility, does this mean that an invisible living creature affected by a turning (which normally would suffer no ill-effects from the turning) will lose it's invisibility?

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 03, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
Speaking of turning... Since it is specifically called out as an attack for effects such as invisibility... Does this mean that you can use Turn Undead as a cheap-o area of effect Purge Invisibility? Turning normally doesn't affect living creatures, but since it counts as an attack, and breaks invisibility, does this mean that an invisible living creature affected by a turning (which normally would suffer no ill-effects from the turning) will lose it's invisibility?
No, because a creature affected by a Turning isn't performing an attack.  Getting attacked doesn't break invisibility, just performing one.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 03, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
The ghaele monster class in savage species gets full cleric spell progression up through 14th level.  Up through 5th level, you don't even lose any hit dice.  So you spend the first 5 levels getting full casting, full base attack bonus, all good saves, and 8 + int skill points.  I think I need to play one of these guys in an E6 game.

What would you do with the last level, prestige paladin?

EDIT: Oh god no.
EDIT2: Making a character. Damn you!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:17:08 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 04, 2015, 05:55:35 AM »
The ghaele monster class in savage species gets full cleric spell progression up through 14th level.  Up through 5th level, you don't even lose any hit dice.  So you spend the first 5 levels getting full casting, full base attack bonus, all good saves, and 8 + int skill points.  I think I need to play one of these guys in an E6 game.

What would you do with the last level, prestige paladin?

EDIT: Oh god no.
EDIT2: Making a character. Damn you!

Last level is going to have to be ghaele unfortunately because you cant multiclass out of a monster class

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 07, 2015, 06:45:28 PM »
In 2005 WotC did actually have some people who knew about 3.5's subtitle of "caster edition." This article admits that casters start out powerful, ignore SR, focus in conjuration, and stay single classed. Wow. http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20050711a

Offline IlPazzo

• Vbi solitudinem facimus, pacem appellamus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2015, 08:26:11 AM »
Claws of the Savage (BoVD) is usually a decent buff spell for your claws, but it doubles as a no-save-just-suck spell.
It has no save and no spell resistance, so you can cast it on an enemy to have him grow non-prehensile claws over their hands.