Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] Low magic campaign world, interest check.  (Read 21916 times)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 3.5] Low magic campaign world, interest check.
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2013, 03:25:03 AM »
Well..... actually..... as a rough idea......

I'd been meaning to learn incarnum, primarily because I was interested in this Midnight Occultist prestige class that combines pact magic and incarnum. Obviously this would come in the future, but it would be the direction of it. Otherwise, if incarnum is something that might not work wonderfully in this realm, I could go Anima Mage with a slight alteration to the characters personality.

X (being a name I haven't come up with) grew up elven nobility, the old story. Family heirloom was a simple crown that once had allowed his family communication with otherworldly beings some called demons but they called gods, then the collapse happened. When he was born, it was thought he was insane, until he inherited the crown. Magic was coming back into the world, and he was recovering his family's long-lost traditions. He journeyed out on the principle that he would find a group of worthy warriors to join him, slay the elven abomination that plagues the land, and raise his family's name. His special item would be this crown. Most vestiges would be hailed as "gods", though the translation of them might be closer to "spirits" or "demons". Yes, slightly Elric inspired.

I'll iron it out and it'll sound a bit less shitty, but while I'm ill and unable to think that's the idea. So yeah, how do you feel about that prc and incarnum? I'll start looking for an appropriately pompous elf...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:31:42 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 03:39:06 AM »
Sounds good to me. Incarnum seems like it would work nicely with the team.

Would you go straight Incarnum now and dip into Binder later or start off with a mix?

The backstory actually sounds pretty epic already. The Elric connection is nicely worked in there and the Elven Beast was one of the setting hooks that I found especially interesting (destroying the unruly creation of his decadent forbears sounds like something Elric might well get up to).

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 04:07:21 AM »
That's what I thought! About the elven destroyer being a good plot piece; I'm kind of interested to learn more about it, but then I'm sure most of the continent is. The Elric connection is easy; the Melniborne are very much like elves. This prince will be a lot sturdier than Elric, granted (less so if he were a sorcerer/binder/anima mage focusing control and summoning of fiendish creatures), but he's also supposed to be more of a great hope for his people. Sure, his family is super corrupt, traditionally.... but he's the best chance. And as long as his demons are helping instead of subjugating, who cares?

Initially, while I read incarnum stuff, it's Incarnum class 2 / Binder 1 grabbing improved binding and progressing as necessary. I like to sort of have it all basically there to start.... but I'll be considering Incarnum class 3 into binder as he becomes more attuned to his "gods", able to not just take aspects of them as equipment, but to take aspects of their being as himself. Either way could be cool.... But I'm gonna need some binder anyway, so it might flow better to just grab the first level now. Anyone with more incarnum experience have a better opinion than mine?

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 04:23:39 AM »
Midnight Occultist only actually requires 2 levels of an Icarnum class. You have to be able to bind a Soulmeld to a Chakra, and Incarnates and Totemists both get that ability at lv2.

I'm thinking you'll probably want to go Incarnate if you're picking from the published Incarnum classes. Totemist has a tribal shaman flavor that doesn't fit your concept and the less said about Soulborn the better. SirP's Warpsoul is a homebrew alternative but I think AriasDerros said Warpsouls don't fit the campaign all that well.

So you don't have to take more than Incarnate 2 and if you want to qualify for Occultist by 5th level that what you'll want to do, since the Binder requirement is 3rd level Vestiges which takes 3 levels including Imp Binder.

So Incarnate2, Binder1 looks like a plan.

Or Binder2, Incarnate1, of course but Incarnates get more soulmelds, more essentia, and a Chakra Bind at lv2 which ups their power level significantly. Binders get Pact Augmentation and Supress Sign, which are decent abilities but don't directly make the Binder better at doing what he does.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:27:16 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2013, 04:44:56 AM »
Yeah, assuming the greenlight on the midnight occultist goes through, then Incarnate 2 / Binder 1 (though how incarnate is advertised as a fighting class I've yet to fully grasp). Decent saves, low hp (no higher than the arcane version, so yay Elric) though, still with plenty to make up for it.

And yeah, seems like very little incarnum is needed... which is okay. Funnily enough, I say all this about a crown as an item.... and what can I chakra bind right off? That's right, crown.  :D

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
I'd been meaning to learn incarnum, primarily because I was interested in this Midnight Occultist prestige class that combines pact magic and incarnum.
I love that class.

Otherwise, if incarnum is something that might not work wonderfully in this realm,
It does. It very, very does.  Both are considered 'basic', or 'true' magic by scholars of magic. Thus, as blessed bloods manifest, the most common are those who use incarnum, then the pact mages, then invocations / spellshapers, and then everyone else.

It also means that those are the magic types that are more commonly possessed by creatures.

Yes, slightly Elric inspired.
Had to Google, still don't get reference.

So yeah, how do you feel about that prc and incarnum? I'll start looking for an appropriately pompous elf...
Love the whole thing. Plus it means I really need to get The Elven Beast's entry written in.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »
Haha, Elric of Melnibone was a prince of a dark fantasy series. He was frail by birth defect, and used drugs to keep himself alive, but he was a very talented sorcerer where summoning is the main form of magic, and he has an evil black blade that eats souls and makes him strong. Good series, I've recently started it properly from the beginning.

Sweet, glad you like the class! I'll get the character up in a few hours then!