Creative Corner > Play By Post

D&D 5e: Starter Set. An Introduction

(1/6) > >>

Agita:
This is meant to be an introductory game of D&D 5th edition, for any who are interested in trying the system out. Given the nature of the boards, I assume any takers will have prior experience with roleplaying games, but I am in theory ready to take anyone with any level of experience.

I'll take 3-5 players. Since this is an introduction to the edition, I'm interested in players right now, not characters. If there are more than five interested players, I'll pick four or five on an entirely arbitrary basis. State your rough level of prior experience with various editions of D&D and other roleplaying games, both to give me some context and to indulge my curiosity.

We will be playing through at least the first section of the Starter Set adventure, Lost Mines of Phandelver. The adventure starts at level one and can take you up to level five. It is a solidly executed, fairly standard romp with goblins, bandits, and what have you. I say at least the first section because my schedule swings between "nothing to do" and "super busy" throughout the year. It's currently at "nothing to do" and will switch to "somewhat busy" in October, so I can't guarantee being able to give you the entire ride. I will, however, at least finish the first part, which should give you a decent if short run and get you to level 2. We'll see after that.

On that note, because of this timeframe, I would like anyone interested to take a step back and make sure you can commit to at least finishing that first section without dropping. It's hard to predict how long it will take, and unforeseen circumstances always happen, but it's not long, and we should be easily able to finish it if we keep up a decent pace. I won't ask for something ridiculous like twenty posts a day, just be aware of your own schedule, keep in mind what I said above, and use your best judgement.

We will discuss rules and character creation after I have a team. You technically don't have to read anything prior - since this is also in part an exercise in teaching for me, I will explain everything as we go (there are even pregenerated characters available, if you would like to put in minimal up-front effort). If you want to read the rules by yourself, there are a few options: The Player's Basic Rules can be found online here, or downloaded as a pdf here. These contain a limited amount of the content in the Player's Handbook, but are sufficient to play a complete game. The Systems Reference Document can be found here. It has more content (with some specific bits missing) but fewer explanations. If you want the full PHB, acquiring it is your responsibility, but for purposes of this game you don't need it.

Express your interest and ask questions in this thread, or hit me up on Discord or IRC, where I hang out as Agita and Jm2c, respectively.

Stratovarius:
 :plotting

Nanshork:
Well I haven't actually started a 5E game, but I made a character for a game that never took off...

Agita:
That's cool. It's not like "must have never touched a 5e book" is a prerequisite.

Nanshork:

--- Quote from: Agita on August 09, 2017, 11:57:10 AM ---That's cool. It's not like "must have never touched a 5e book" is a prerequisite.

--- End quote ---

That was just an out loud justification for joining an introductory game for the system.  I don't really know why.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version