Author Topic: Rune Age  (Read 1685 times)

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
Rune Age
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:27:32 PM »
I had the opportunity to play Rune Age, made by Fantasy Flight Games, this previous weekend. I didn't see anything posted on it so I thought I'd start a thread to talk about it.

Its a "deck-building" game where you start off with only 7 cards in a deck to "randomly" draw from and from then on you attempt to add and remove cards from your draw deck/hand/discard pile to control the size and power of your deck.

Its interesting in that all games come with an "Event Deck" which is a set of cards that do something once each "turn", i.e. just before Player 1 starts his turn. For example one scenario has an event card that immediately attacks all players one after the other. Just because. The event cards are generally meant to deal damage or offer tempting rewards for using your turn to to do something other than kill another player.

The current downside is the lack diversity of military unit cards given to each playable race. The expansion that is supposed to come out before the end of this year will help with that but currently each race has a schtick designed to get as many military units into combat as possible and crush the opposition for example the undead deck ( i know I know it took me less than two seconds to figure out what their schtick is) is designed to pull units from the graveyard alot... alot alot.... the human army does it with the draw deck, and the "chaos" demon deck wounds itself in combat to get damage bonuses ( wounded units are removed from the playing area at the end of combat not discarded to the discard pile) and the elves are "influential" (they can generate/regenerate influence which is a resource to do stuff).

There are also mercenaries/neutral effect cards that any race can buy but usually there is 2 or less military units to get.

Anybody else played Rune Age around here?