Author Topic: [PoC] Power of Cybernetics General Discussion Thread  (Read 56698 times)

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: [PoC] Power of Cybernetics General Discussion Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »
I have an idea for a PrC that makes Energy Overchanneling super-amazing-awesome.

I'm intrigued and would like to hear more. (Especially because I realized a few days ago that Energy Overchanneling is nigh-useless on its own until you have an energy capacity of at least 3 or 4, depending on if you're comparing it to +1 or +2 energy for a feat.)

Garryl, how finished would you say that the three base classes are?

Pretty much finished, I expect. The Energy Warrior is most likely to change, mostly if the new Energy Beam doesn't work out. The Cyberneticist and Dreadnought are right where I want them, though. The only changes I can conceive of making are adding in a few more Battle Talents to pick from, or possibly tweaking at what levels the Cybernticist abilities and extra uses are granted. I don't have any changes actually planned, and that's pretty much the extent of what I'm willing to alter at all at this point. Why do you ask?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »
One of the basic features of the PrC would be adding your levels in the PrC to your Activator level for the purposes of whatever module you are enhancing.

Beyond that, I'd probably throw in something where you can use it to attach the module to an available socket as part of the same action.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2013, 11:30:42 PM »
I ask because if I get the chance I'd like to play one.  :)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »
May I ask why the whole "treat the Missile Launcher as if it were your Energy Beam" Energy Emitter attachment is part of the Ice Spreader?

Shouldn't it be part of the Missile Launcher?

It kinda bugs me that you have to invest 3 modules into this; the Ice Beam isn't even very good when applied to the Missile Launcher! The Spazer Beam makes me drool, though, especially if you make your Missile Launcher fire 5 seeker missiles...
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
May I ask why the whole "treat the Missile Launcher as if it were your Energy Beam" Energy Emitter attachment is part of the Ice Spreader?

Shouldn't it be part of the Missile Launcher?

It kinda bugs me that you have to invest 3 modules into this; the Ice Beam isn't even very good when applied to the Missile Launcher! The Spazer Beam makes me drool, though, especially if you make your Missile Launcher fire 5 seeker missiles...

There are a number of reasons that Ice Spreader's energy beam effect isn't part of Missile Launcher.
- For a time, Missile Launcher wasn't even an Energy Warrior module.
- Missile Launcher already has 3 attachments. It doesn't need to break the mold and add a 4th. If it did, it would be a sole exception, and I'd feel compelled to make more modules like it.
Two is a number, right?

What's so special about Spazer Beam with 5 seeker missiles? The 3 AoE beams (Spazer, Shadow, and Flare) only function 1/round, regardless of how many attacks you make. Is it in some other combination that I haven't noticed?

On a related note, I'd completely forgotten about Ice Spreader's Energy Emitter ability. Does it still work with the new Energy Beam rules? I think so, but I'd like to be sure. Does it need text clarifying that the missiles aren't masterwork? Is it a can of beans I don't want to even open up and thus should be removed?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
I didn't notice the 1/round thing. Darn.

I think allowing them to enchant the missile (or just use Energy Beam stuff) is just fine. You could make that "attachment" a feat...

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »
The first draft of Phazon mechanics for the Metroid adaptation are up.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2013, 12:46:14 AM »
I'm trying, and failing, to come up with new module ideas for the Energy Warrior. Part of it, I feel, is that the EW doesn't have a distinct shtick other than Energy Beam (which is already well-covered). The Cyberneticist's modules are crazy technology things, the Dreadnought's modules are the tools of war, but the Energy Warrior's? Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »
Got a question about refreshing energy and such.  The thread states:

At the beginning of the day, or at any point of it that you have a free hour, you can refresh your energy. When you do so, you may choose which modules you want to have active for the day and which socket attachments you wish to have for the day.

At first I was thinking "Woohoo, refresh energy and modules any time there's a free hour, any number of times a day."  And then I figured you only meant it for once a day and after a full night's rest, yes?

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2013, 02:36:21 AM »
Got a question about refreshing energy and such.  The thread states:

At the beginning of the day, or at any point of it that you have a free hour, you can refresh your energy. When you do so, you may choose which modules you want to have active for the day and which socket attachments you wish to have for the day.

At first I was thinking "Woohoo, refresh energy and modules any time there's a free hour, any number of times a day."  And then I figured you only meant it for once a day and after a full night's rest, yes?

Nope. Your first assumption was the correct one. The actual, in-depth rules for refreshing your energy are a fair bit further down. Just 1 hour of reasonably uninterrupted concentration, no limits, any number of times per day, even if you've been up for 72 hours straight or whatever. I try to only write what I mean.

Here are the pertinent bits:
Refreshing Energy
   Refreshing energy requires 1 hour of concentration or meditation. Refreshing energy requires enough peace, quiet, and comfort for proper concentration. Your surroundings need not be luxurious, but they must be free from overt distractions, such as combat raging nearby or other loud noises.  Exposure to inclement weather prevents the necessary concentration, as does any injury or failed saving throw you might experience while refreshing your energy. You do not need access to any materials to refresh your energy. You can refresh your energy any number of times per day, as long as you spend the required amount of time each time you do so.

On a related note, would the layout be better if the energy refreshment rules were up top? I wanted to put the rules for actually doing things first so you don't get lost in the nitty gritty mechanical details when reading it, but refreshing energy might be important enough to warrant coming much earlier in the page. Then again, the overview at the top has the important parts, the rest is just details about how those play out.  Or maybe it would be better to remove the potentially-confusing "At the beginning of the day, or at any point of it that you have a free hour" line and replace it with just "Whenever you have a free hour"?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:13:36 AM by Garryl »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Yeah, I'd simply go with "Whenever you have a free hour."

And good to know it can be refreshed more often than once a day.  The flexibility is much welcomed given how some of the modules aren't exactly combat-oriented and such.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
So...

Could I bother you with a request for Apprentice Level progressions for the classes you've got here?

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
I will ask you one last time, Amechra, please get out of my head. I was just thinking about those the other day.

By the way, whatever happened to that game you were planning to use Apprentice Levels for?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »
And leave the cushy lair I set up? No!

As for the game, it kinda... never went anywhere but my head. It will be run someday, though!

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2013, 11:52:43 PM »
Just some interesting statistics you may be interested in. I went through all the non-WIP modules currently posted and recorded all of their numerical bonuses, senses, movement modes, immunities, etc. and recorded them in a table. You can see it here, on Google Docs (formatting is still a teensy bit messed up).

Edit: Formatting should be not messed up now. Also, added a couple things I missed in the first pass.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:53:30 PM by Garryl »

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »
Added a sheet with all of the special attacks, color coded by damage type.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »
In the index, both the Special Ability Types and Universal Special Abilities links lead to the Actions in Combat page.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »
Thanks for catching that. They were originally in the same thread, but I split them off recently and forgot to update the links. Whoops.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2013, 02:19:25 AM »
So, just a thought on further modules for the Energy Warrior. Does building up the combo idea sound interesting? There are a few "combo" modules already (requiring one or more existing modules to already be active and granting additional benefits to those modules or thematically aligned with them), and Energy Warriors have a decent affinity for the concept (combining multiple energy beam types, and mechanically having the most modules active of all classes). Any thoughts?