Author Topic: Ability to cut casters off from Divine Spells?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
Ability to cut casters off from Divine Spells?
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:05:29 AM »
I can't remember where I read it, but I remember someone saying that they found a way to affect clerics and paladins in combat with something that would temporarily cut them off from their gods, causing them to lose their divine spells. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Is it a weapon property, or a spell?
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to cut casters off from Divine Spells?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »
The spell that comes to mind is Anathema, but that limits you to cutting off the divine connection between fellow worshippers of your faith.  Doesn't seem useful in combat.

You can cut anybody off from casting spells with Greater Bestow Curse (BOVD, p28)
The target cannot cast spells, use spell-like abilities, or
activate spell completion or spell trigger items.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
There's also Divine Interdiction from Spell Compendium - it completely locks out any turning, rebuking, or domain abilities within a 10ft radius. Not quite what you want, but it does screw over anyone using Divine Metamagic (Quicken).

Quells from Libris Mortis can "turn" divine spellcasters, shutting off their turning and spellcasting ability for a short period; if their "turning level" is at least twice the divine caster's class level, it shuts them down for 24 hours. If you can get to them without your Rebuking getting shut down, a group of Quells is just the thing to round out your undead army.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 03:06:21 AM »
I believe the trick involved boosting your CL high enough to either shapeshift or Gate some horrific beast meant to be the final boss of a campaign.  I can't remember which one though, or where to find it.  I flipped through Elder Evils and the only one that comes close is Pandorym, which isn't quite what you were looking for.  His Sign is that he shuts off all Conjuration (Calling, Summoning, and Teleportation) effects, and gives a 20% chance that Clerics can't regain their spells for the day. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.