Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 328458 times)

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #980 on: October 02, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
Still, "Spells" does not have a save DC.  While you could select Ability Focus (Spells) RAW, it won't do anything.

Now, selecting Ability Focus for a specific spell would be a different story.  It would still fall under special attacks, but now we actually have a save DC to add to (assuming the spell has a save).
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 02, 2013, 01:27:59 PM »
Doesn't the SS do the same with all creatures?

Not the way PGtF does it. You start as the full-blown Adult Force Dragon, but have a penalty to most d20 rolls equal to what your ECL adjustment is.

Specifically, it's a -X penalty to skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, the save DC of spells/SLAs/SUAs, and to your AC (but only up to what your race provides in terms of natural armor, dodge bonuses, deflection bonuses, and so forth; Dex bonus is unaffected). You then get all of your racial traits, RHD, feats, skill points, etc. Those penalties won't mean shit.

Oh, and the penalty is technically equal to the level adjustment, not ECL adjustment. So you'd start with a -0, and the stats of an Adult Force Dragon.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 02, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
Still, "Spells" does not have a save DC.  While you could select Ability Focus (Spells) RAW, it won't do anything.

Now, selecting Ability Focus for a specific spell would be a different story.  It would still fall under special attacks, but now we actually have a save DC to add to (assuming the spell has a save).
Snakeman seems to have the right of it; Consider the Solar; SLA's and Spells both. Ability focus would have to work for all of a creature's SLA's to work for all of a creature's Spells; they're described identically. The spells can be changed is all.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 02, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »

You follow all the same rules as normal spellcasting, which includes the setting the DC to 10+spell level+primary stat mod.  Monsters might have issues with determining which stat is primary, but you should be able to figure it out easily enough. 

Edit:
Snakeman seems to have the right of it; Consider the Solar; SLA's and Spells both. Ability focus would have to work for all of a creature's SLA's to work for all of a creature's Spells; they're described identically. The spells can be changed is all.
You would appear to be correct.  I'll have to think about this some more.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:45:20 PM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 02, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
You follow all the same rules as normal spellcasting, which includes the setting the DC to 10+spell level+primary stat mod.  Monsters might have issues with determining which stat is primary, but you should be able to figure it out easily enough.

Actually, the ability that the Saves are based off of is listed. For example, Solars use Wisdom; "...The save DCs are Wisdom-based.", to quote the SRD's entry. Note the plural on 'DCs', however, as well as the plurals on 'Spell Like Abilities' and 'Spells' as well. Each spell/SLA is a special ability. Not each school or all spells/SLAs at once.

If the Special Ability were named 'Spell Casting', it might be one ability for the purpose of Ability Focus, but it's not.

You would appear to be correct.  I'll have to think about this some more.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:45:20 AM by linklord231 »

Ahh ninja edits are awesome-sauce

Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 02, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »
To be fair, a stat block or a table (let alone a stat block in a table, like some creatures have) is a secondary/tertiary source, even though it appears in a "primary sourcebook". 

Actually, I was mostly referring to the general entry in MM about Special Attacks... it lists Spells there as an example.  This is in addition to the whole 'every stat block says it" issue.  So... primary and secondary sources agree. 

The fact that spells have different DCs (and some don't even have a DC) is kind of irrelevant here, since the prerequisite is only that it be a Special Attack.  Which it is.  How it functions is unclear... and I highly doubt Ability Focus was intended to be used this way.  Once again, the designers forgot to consider spellcasting when they wrote something that cares about ability types.  What a shock!

JaronK

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 02, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »

Not the way PGtF does it. You start as the full-blown Adult Force Dragon, but have a penalty to most d20 rolls equal to what your ECL adjustment is.

Specifically, it's a -X penalty to skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, the save DC of spells/SLAs/SUAs, and to your AC (but only up to what your race provides in terms of natural armor, dodge bonuses, deflection bonuses, and so forth; Dex bonus is unaffected). You then get all of your racial traits, RHD, feats, skill points, etc. Those penalties won't mean shit.

Oh, and the penalty is technically equal to the level adjustment, not ECL adjustment. So you'd start with a -0, and the stats of an Adult Force Dragon.

:o ... Tell me again why no one's ever bothered with playing an Adult Force Dragon from level 1 (with some -44 penalties).
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 02, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »

:o ... Tell me again why no one's ever bothered with playing an Adult Force Dragon from level 1 (with some -44 penalties).

Book to the head!

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 02, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
However, Spells are still listed under Special Attacks (renamed to just "SA") in the new statblocks.
That's a highly inaccurate statement.

Since it's technically off topic;
(click to show/hide)

Also we're on page 50. Time for a new thread :D

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 02, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
continue to Fun Finds 4.0
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 03, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Closed due to page limit.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.