Author Topic: Arkham Horror: Friendship Costs 2 Sanity  (Read 142213 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Arkham Horror: Friendship Costs 2 Sanity
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
Characters dont usually start in unstable locations but its possible.

Pinkie Pie is up next if you have stat suggestions.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »
Hmm...

She definitely has luck and speed/sneak

as mentioned, she has "pinkie sense" warning her about things, plus a licence for general weirdness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQE-4N4XqJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSIjrk8FHhA

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:15:11 PM by bhu »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
I was about to suggest musical numbers, but I don't think I actually typed it. Where did you get the idea from?  :P

How many musical numbers can she do per turn? (does she get another whenever another investigator enters the location?)

Also, what is the point of not encountering a monster if you have to skip a turn to do so? (perhaps it makes sense - I'm rather rusty on the rules)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:55:28 PM by Braininthejar »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
I was about to suggest musical numbers, but I don't think I actually typed it. Where did you get the idea from?  :P

How many musical numbers can she do per turn? (does she get another whenever another investigator enters the location?)

Also, what is the point of not encountering a monster if you have to skip a turn to do so? (perhaps it makes sense - I'm rather rusty on the rules)

The idea is that she distracts said monster with a musical number until help arrives.  You'll notice Pinkie has crap for fight or lore so she wont be closing many gates or fighting monsters or casting lots of spells.  She's a backup PC meant to be used in groups, not venture out on her own.  I'll fix the phase thingie.

Stats for fluttershy??

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
But if you are in the same area as a monster, then either you have already moved that turn, or the monster moved to you on its turn... or do you have to fight it in your turn in that case?

Fluttershy...

Speed over sneak. She is too easily startled to be good at sneaking. Also, while she is fast, she won't get the 'pegasus' ability Dash has - she actually has problems flying when scared.

Will over fight - despite being easily scared, she is stronger than given credit for, but pretty much useless in a fight. However, she would probably have some abilities to compensate - she has enough animal empathy to tame anything this side of a manticore and at one point stared down a cocatrice until its power failed.

Lore over luck. Her attitude makes her an easy source of comedy, but she has decent knowledge, even if it isn't strictly mythos-related.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:21:26 PM by bhu »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
How do we determine which location is 'the nearest'?

This leaves Applejack

She has the most obvious physical strength in the group

Fight over will (though she is more stubborn than it is good for her)

Probably lore over luck ( earth ponies don't do magic, but they have lots of instinct for 'naturally magical' stuff.

would probably get a lasso in her starting equipment

She also has lots and lots of relatives, but those will probably be allies/retainers/event cards rather than abilities ( 3 of them are in permanent residence in Ponyville : Granny Smith,  constantly shifting between sagely wisdom and comedic senility;  Big Macintosh, AJ's big brother, a hard working stallion of few words, famous for his strength; and Applebloom, AJ's little sister and one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders) - I guess we will come back to them later.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
revising fluttershy now

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
hmm. I'm not sure if AJ would be slower than Rarity. She is a regular rofeo competitor and everything.

Ok, so now we approach the part where I don't really remember the rules - what category of cards are you interested in next and what should they do?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
I could drop the lore to 4 and raise the speed to 4

I'm thinking Locations and their abilities next.

what can you tell me about dragon mountain and froggy bottom bog
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:11:18 PM by bhu »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »
The mountain is a tall rock pinnacle surrounded by natural hazards ( chasms that need to be jumped through, unstable areas where a failed sneak test might trigger a landslide, etc. The holiday theatre play suggests that it might have been the place where the leaders of the three tribes met and founded Equestria, but nowadays, the mountain doesn't have any significance - except for a dragon that slept in the cave near the top (his snoring caused a cloud of soot over Ponyville, so he was persuaded to relocate. But in season 2, when Spike had an episode of dragon greed and grew to adult size, he started climbing the same mountain - probably intending to take over the same cave)

Froggy Bottom Bog is at the bottom of the same mountains, with the swampland directly next to jagged rocks. The ponies went there to follow Fluttershy, who was relocating some frogs from an overpopulated pond - and got chased away by a hungry hydra.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
So no special encounters then?

Mostly I'm just looking for ideas on whether or not there's a special encounter, like the ability to purchase or trade for stuff or do something nifty.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
Well, you chose 2 locations that I considered unstable.
Any other locations? or do you want a sentence or two on every location there? ( I might do that, but I'm a bit busy tonight, so it won't be immediately)

What possible location abilities do you have in mind?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:05:54 PM by Braininthejar »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
1 location to regain sanity (spa?)

1 location to purchase skills (school?)

1 location to get money (i.e. bank loans or something similar, ?)

1 location to purchase unique items (zecora?)

1 location to purchase common items (hardware store?)

1 location to somehow gain allies (fluttershy's house?)

1 location to become law enforcement somehow (or maybe join some group or other like the bolts, ?)

1 location to trade stuff for money (?)

1 location to gain clue tokens (should be unstable, ?)

1 location to find a way to be blessed (or maybe some other ability like becoming a pegasus, ?)

1 location to get spells (library?)

1 location to gain stamina (hospital)

boutique for outfits maybe

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
I don't think we can make everything fit here, in particular bank and law enforcement - I'm not sure Ponyville even has one and as for positions, there is a Mayor, but she isn't of much use - Twilight is a personal student of the princess, a hero of Equestria and a powerful mage known for being careless with magic when overstressed - so anything authority-related she can usually achieve by standing on a box and speaking out loud. Dash meanwhile seems to have the outhority to draft pegasi into weather work

*Location to regain sanity: Although there was one actual mental patient in the series and she was handled by the hospital, the spa sounds ok here.

*Location to purchase skills: I'm thinking CMC clubhouse (Cutie marks are those symbols on ponies' flanks, manifesting somewhere around puberty and denoting their special talent or defining feature. Cutie Mark Crusaders are a trio of kids who are the last "blank flanks" in their class and try to help each other find their special talents - by trying to do everything until they find something they are good at. Since their actual talents are completely different, doing stuff together is what actually undermines their efforts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Ofler1b0Y

*Location to get money... perhaps helping with the harvest in the orchard/AJ's house?

*Zecora is definitely unique items. Library is spells, though Zecora might also have some

*hardware store would be ok for common items

*What kind of allies do you have in mind? For animal companions, Fluttershy's is the place.

*trading stuff for money would be hardware store I guess

*getting clue tokens... newspaper? library? perhaps the palace ruins in everfree? or the town hall? Lastly school (nothing drastic happens there in the series, but the CMC are regularly there and I needed an unstable location)

* I have no idea about being blessed (unless getting in a good mood would be sufficient, then Sugarcube Corner) As for special abilities, there was a spell for growing butterfly wings.

* hospital for regaining stamina

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »
peek at page 1 for ally ideas

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
Remind me what exactly does an ally card do?

The characters listed as potential allies on page 1 are as follows:

Cutie Mark Crusaders - you got a description in the previous post. the unicorn filly is Rarity's little sister and the earth pony is AJ's.

The Apple Family - I have described Big Macintosh and Granny Smith already. Applebloom is one of the CMC. if you need more Apples, you might consider cousin Braeburn - he is the leader of the Apple family branch in Appleloosa, a wild-west themed town south of Everfree. (outside our current map)

The Wonderbolts - a stunt flier team, apparently a part of Equestrian military and do get deployed against a threat to Ponyville (though their record of actually saving the day is... poor. Still, they managed to shave-off a dragon's head spikes with a fly-by, so they do have some combat power at least)

Chief Thunderhooves - a chieftain of a buffalo tribe from Appleloosa region, initially in conflict with Braeburn, currently an ally. The only other named buffalo in the series is his daughter, Little Strongheart

Angel - Fluttershy's bunny sidekick and assistant. At times actually usefull and caring for his boss, other times spoiled to the point of being abusive, good at noticing stuff she misses

Winona - AJ's dog, trained for herding and as useful as you would expect from a smart dog.

Opalescence - Rarity's spoiled cat. grumpily friendly towards her owner, mean to everything else, apparently other animals considered her rather scary.

Gummy - Pinkie's toothless pet alligator. Harmlessly chomps on ponies and objects and besides that seems to be indifferent about everything.

Owlowiscious - Twilight's owl. flies, sees in the dark, distracts monsters, probably the smartest and most useful of the pets.

Tank Dash' pet tortoise. Very dedicated and determined, if somewhat clumsy. Since Dash lives in a cloud, somepony has stuck a magically powered propeller on Tank's shell - this reduces his horrible slowness, but makes him prone to comedic collissions.

Philomena - Princess Celestia's pet phoenix. Not sure if her flames are real (a pair of angry phoenixes elsewhere in the series didn't set the forest on fire - they could temporarily bling their opponent with light though)

Spike - Twilight's number one assistant - a toddler-sized flightless dragon. Diligent but childlish. Often hurt for comedic effect, harmlessly thanks to his fire immunity and damage reduction.  Most importantly, he has had a permanent teleport spell cast at his throat - small items engulfed by his flame are sent to Princess Celestia - Twilight uses him to send reports and letters and as the connection works both ways, he can burp up responses too. He is hopelessly in love with Rarity, which he considers a big secret despite it being obvious to everypony. Also, he likes eating gemstones.

Zecora - a foreign zebra shaman living in Everfree. Knows a lot about creatures and herbs. Always speaks in rhyme. doesn't cast spells as such, but can make potions and powders.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:18:20 PM by Braininthejar »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
Allies give you a bonus to 1 or 2 stats and give you a random something like an item when you first get them or when you discard one.

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Ally
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:29:38 PM by bhu »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »
So are there enough or do you want any more?