Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - Argos  (Read 17964 times)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
Pointing to the gnome, "He's the one you should hire.  I'm not very good with convincing that don't involve some pain."

"Actually, that is why I chose you.  I have tried to reason with him, but he is a stubborn bastard.  I believe that the only way to convince him that he is making a mistake is to show him how unprepared he is.  To put it bluntly, Ser, I want you to beat the crap out of him.  To show him that he will fail in the chaos dungeon despite his great strength.  What do you say, will you help me keep Hoal out of Norbal?"

Hearing the proposition puts a smile on Korgan's face. "I like the way you think boy but I've not the time for this.  Yer best bet is still to ask the gnome here or Ward."
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
Hearing the proposition puts a smile on Korgan's face. "I like the way you think boy but I've not the time for this.  Yer best bet is still to ask the gnome here or Ward."

He frowns.  "Well, the caravan isn't leaving for another hour, so if it will take you longer than that win a fight I really have picked the wrong guy.  Guess I'll have to find someone actually capable, considering Ward and Shiny Pants over there are too busy figuring out how to find a dead kid.  I hope your brother fared better than mine will."  With that, he turns and walks off.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
Hearing the shrill chatter directed randomly toward the map, Nelio pauses, slightly losing his focus filling out the registration form.

Oh, great, it's the orc-elf...Perhaps I can convince him Josah's boy is carrying a big sack of food. He'll be able to track him down in no time...

Nelio returns to finishing his registration form, double and triple checking that all the information is correct before handing it in. He carefully hands the quill over to the elf, making sure not to spill a drop of ink.

"I do not believe we have formally met. I am Ser Nelio, holy warrior of the Grassy Hill of Noh. I believe we shared a common space during our supper last night at the Steel Staff. I understand you are familiar with the predicament in the Tomm Swamp? I am leading an expedition on the constable's behalf to help rescue (or recover) the localman's son. Would you be interested in joining me? Are you skilled in wilderness survival?"

"Good to meet you, Sir."

Caerus replies, taking the quill from Nelio.  He looks the form over and begins to fill in the required information.  His calligraphy reveals a steady and practiced hand with clean, swift strokes.   He writes in Common but the letters have distinctively Elven characteristics and artful ornamentations.

"My name is Caerus Sil...  Well, just call me Caerus.  I'm originally from the port city of Ferris.  When I heard you speaking with the constable, I thought we might help each other.  I used to do the hunting back home..."

Not that we needed it.  Mother always sent the maids to buy food at the market.

"...Tracking a boy can't be much different from tracking a stag.  The way I see it, the boy probably wants to be found and that fact should make it easier."

Caerus reaches the end of the form and completes it with his signature.  Well, almost.  His first name flows from the pen with ease, but as he begins his last name he pauses midway through a capital "S."  As he pauses with the quill on the page, the ink bleeds and mars the otherwise flawless penmanship.  He quickly snaps to, and finishes the line with two strong horizontal strokes with the hope that they would be sufficient.  The long, heavy lines look out of place next to the graceful script.  He frowns for a moment and then, turning to Ward, he holds out the completed form and changes to a more neutral expression.

"I hope this is satisfactory, Sir"
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 12:25:36 AM »

"Good to meet you, Sir."

Caerus replies, taking the quill from Nelio.  He looks the form over and begins to fill in the required information.  His calligraphy reveals a steady and practiced hand with clean, swift strokes.   He writes in Common but the letters have distinctively Elven characteristics and artful ornamentations.

"My name is Caerus Sil...  Well, just call me Caerus.  I'm originally from the port city of Ferris.  When I heard you speaking with the constable, I thought we might help each other.  I used to do the hunting back home..."

"...Tracking a boy can't be much different from tracking a stag.  The way I see it, the boy probably wants to be found and that fact should make it easier."

Caerus reaches the end of the form and completes it with his signature.  Well, almost.  His first name flows from the pen with ease, but as he begins his last name he pauses midway through a capital "S."  As he pauses with the quill on the page, the ink bleeds and mars the otherwise flawless penmanship.  He quickly snaps to, and finishes the line with two strong horizontal strokes with the hope that they would be sufficient.  The long, heavy lines look out of place next to the graceful script.  He frowns for a moment and then, turning to Ward, he holds out the completed form and changes to a more neutral expression.

"Well met Caerus Sil of the port city of Ferris. I appreciate your interest in this mission, but the constable brings up a good point. How do I know I can trust you? You seem a bit nervous...and distracted. How do I know you don't plan to lead me to my death in the swamp only to loot my body? Why the interest in finding the boy? "

Nelio then reads through the registration forms Ward had handed him, mulling over each description.

Hmm, two more rangers...but they're half-orcs. Ugh, two half-orcs make one whole orc. Maybe the halflings would make a better addition to the search party.

Turning back to Caerus, "I know what you can do to show me you're serious and trustworthy. How about you help me investigate these four others that have signed up for the caravan and report back. I would like to know if any of them would be helpful on this mission. And try to be discrete."

Nelio now directs his attention to Korgan. "Master Dwarf, I noticed that you pointed in my direction earlier. Is there something I can help you with?"

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 12:31:25 AM »

Nelio now directs his attention to Korgan. "Master Dwarf, I noticed that you pointed in my direction earlier. Is there something I can help you with?"

Pointing in the direction of where the boy went..."Not I.  The boy there wanted someone to convince his brother not to travel to the Chaos Dungeon.  I told him I didn't have the time and that it might be better if he asked you for help."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:16:18 PM by Kazgaroth »

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »

"Good to meet you, Sir."

"Well met Caerus Sil of the port city of Ferris. I appreciate your interest in this mission, but the constable brings up a good point. How do I know I can trust you? You seem a bit nervous...and distracted. How do I know you don't plan to lead me to my death in the swamp only to loot my body? Why the interest in finding the boy? "

Nelio then reads through the registration forms Ward had handed him, mulling over each description.

Hmm, two more rangers...but they're half-orcs. Ugh, two half-orcs make one whole orc. Maybe the halflings would make a better addition to the search party.

Turning back to Caerus, "I know what you can do to show me you're serious and trustworthy. How about you help me investigate these four others that have signed up for the caravan and report back. I would like to know if any of them would be helpful on this mission. And try to be discrete."

Caerus frowns as he glances at Ward and then back to Nelio.

"Distracted?  Perhaps a little.  And it's just Caerus, Sir."

I'd rather not tell him the truth...

"Well, I’ve never been to Norbal and it’s hard to keep the rumors from running through my mind.  When our journey begins in earnest I have no doubt that my focus shall return.  As I said before, I am interested in the boy because I traded favors with his father.  But I suppose it’s natural for the two of you to distrust me.”
  He says the last part matter-of-factly, so as to hide his feelings.

And, what did this arrogant Gnome do to earn respect other than state his name.  Maybe I should call myself ‘Sir Caerus’ from now on. 'My name is Sir Caerus Silvertongue of the port City of Ferris and I'm important because I ride on a miniature horse!'

With a wry smile at his private joke, he agrees to the gnome’s request.

“Very well, let me see the paperwork.”

Caerus eyes the forms over Nelio’s shoulder.

“I’ll start with the Gnomes, no sense duplicating skill sets unless we need the manpower.   Would you agree?   And, what in particular would you like to know about our potential allies?”

There’s a hint of annoyance in his voice as he looks up from the table and scans the caravan for Flip and Flap.

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »

Caerus frowns as he glances at Ward and then back to Nelio.

"Distracted?  Perhaps a little.  And it's just Caerus, Sir."

I'd rather not tell him the truth...

"Well, I’ve never been to Norbal and it’s hard to keep the rumors from running through my mind.  When our journey begins in earnest I have no doubt that my focus shall return.  As I said before, I am interested in the boy because I traded favors with his father.  But I suppose it’s natural for the two of you to distrust me.”
  He says the last part matter-of-factly, so as to hide his feelings.

And, what did this arrogant Gnome do to earn respect other than state his name.  Maybe I should call myself ‘Sir Caerus’ from now on. 'My name is Sir Caerus Silvertongue of the port City of Ferris and I'm important because I ride on a miniature horse!'

With a wry smile at his private joke, he agrees to the gnome’s request.

“Very well, let me see the paperwork.”

Caerus eyes the forms over Nelio’s shoulder.

“I’ll start with the Gnomes, no sense duplicating skill sets unless we need the manpower.   Would you agree?   And, what in particular would you like to know about our potential allies?”

There’s a hint of annoyance in his voice as he looks up from the table and scans the caravan for Flip and Flap.

"Good, I was hoping you would agree to help. I think you are correct, no need to duplicate skill sets unless one of you gets eaten by an alligator in the swamp. You think you can manage not to be eaten? I believe the "gnomes" you are referring to are actually halflings. I understand that you big folk may confuse us, but I can assure you, we are quite different. I would like to know what skills they can offer, their experience, and whether they would be open to helping us locate the boy. Think you can manage that?"

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »

"Good, I was hoping you would agree to help. I think you are correct, no need to duplicate skill sets unless one of you gets eaten by an alligator in the swamp. You think you can manage not to be eaten? I believe the "gnomes" you are referring to are actually halflings. I understand that you big folk may confuse us, but I can assure you, we are quite different. I would like to know what skills they can offer, their experience, and whether they would be open to helping us locate the boy. Think you can manage that?"

Without taking his focus from the caravan, Caerus retorts:

"Do you think you can manage to keep your head above water?  It can be at least a foot deep in places.  And besides, should we encounter an any alligators, I need only to outrun you!  Pray you don't get stuck in the mud my armored friend"

I've traded insults with Cordelia since she could speak and you, Ser Nelio, are no match for her.

"Anyway, halflings, right..."

Caerus relaxes his tone and turning to Ward, asks:

"Sheriff, where did the two Halflings go after they registered?

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
"They said something about shiny new toys, which I can only assume means they're here in the marketplace somewhere buying equipment."

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »

Without taking his focus from the caravan, Caerus retorts:

"Do you think you can manage to keep your head above water?  It can be at least a foot deep in places.  And besides, should we encounter an any alligators, I need only to outrun you!  Pray you don't get stuck in the mud my armored friend"

I've traded insults with Cordelia since she could speak and you, Ser Nelio, are no match for her.

"Anyway, halflings, right..."

Caerus relaxes his tone and turning to Ward, asks:

Don't kill him, don't kill him, don't kill him...
Nelio takes a deep breath to release the building tension in his brow and manages a slight smile.

"Glad to see you have a strong spirit within! You need not worry about me in the swamp, just do your best and we'll save Josah's son in no time. Gaerdal Ironhand will watch over us."

Turning towards Ward, Nelio asks, "Constable, what sort of hazards should one expect in Tomm Swamp?"

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
“Thank you, Sheriff.”

Turning back to the paladin, he states plainly:

“I’ll return shortly, Ser Nelio.  I’m off to find them.”

Caerus leaves the registration table with a casual wave of his hand and begins to circle the marketplace.  Occasionally he looks at a trinket or two, but he keeps his eyes peeled for Flip and Flap.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »
Ward turns to Nelio and says, "Well, most of the inhabitants are relatively harmless, such as mosquitoes, leeches, and the like; but my men have encountered the likes of trolls, mossmen, stirges, and lizardmen on occasion."

Caerus sees nothing that sparks his interest in terms of market goods.  Even without his father's keen eye for value, Caerus can tell that these goods are overpriced.  Fortunately, he did not have to look long for the Halfling brothers.  Unfortunately, they appear to be having a disagreement with a large Human wielding a battleaxe.  One of the Halflings is circling the Human, deftly dodging the slow, clumsy axe swings.  The other Halfling stands off to one side, mumbling to himself.

The mumbling turns out to be a spell being cast, as when the incantation is complete, the Human's left foot catches fire.  As the Human stamps his foot to douse the flames, the armored Halfling says, "That would be helpful, brother, if we wanted to see him dance.  You're never going to win like that.  Might as well give up now."  To which the brother replied, "It looks like you're the better dancer anyways, brother.  How about actually playing the game instead of running around like a hen?"

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »
Caerus thinks back to Ward’s argument with Josah with a new respect for Wards’ predicament.

It would indeed be unwise to allow these sorts to congregate for extended periods of time.

Carefully approaching the quarrel, he moves his right hand to the pommel of his rapier and finds a spot to stand beyond the range of the battleaxe and the tumbling halfling.  He opens his mouth to call to the halflings, but thinks better of it.

Perhaps I should call the town guard... No, best not to interfere just yet.  Maybe the human picked the fight, or maybe this was all prearranged.  What I don't want is to have to fight the three of them at once.  Let’s see what transpires.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
Ward turns to Nelio and says, "Well, most of the inhabitants are relatively harmless, such as mosquitoes, leeches, and the like; but my men have encountered the likes of trolls, mossmen, stirges, and lizardmen on occasion."

"Do we know why Josah's son entered Tomm Swamp in the first place? Was he on his way to Norbal and got lost? Are there any stories of items or locations of value in Tomm Swamp that might lead somewhere there? Seems like a strange and treacherous place for a boy to get lost."

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »

Korgan rolls his eyes and was about to comment when he heard Ward's response.  Trolls, stirges, and lizardmen?  This is interesting

"Ward, when does your caravan leave for Norbal?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:17:21 PM by Kazgaroth »

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 12:41:22 AM »
Perhaps I should call the town guard... No, best not to interfere just yet.  Maybe the human picked the fight, or maybe this was all prearranged.  What I don't want is to have to fight the three of them at once.  Let’s see what transpires.
The Human appears to grow angrier with each missed swing.  Had this continued he would most certainly have made a mistake and killed one or more of the three combatants.  Instead, a bald-headed Human stood up from the opposite side of the marketplace from Caerus' position.  Upon seeing this man, the Human stopped cold and withdrew immediately from the fight, saying, "Not worth it."

The Halflings look at one another, confused, before the spellcaster says, "It's your fault he left.  You should have let him hit you.  We should remove a point from your side."  The armored one responds with, "Well, I could have let him hit you instead, so I get to keep my point.  There will be plenty more fights to prove who is best."  With that, they slowly and calmly return to their shopping, much to the chagrin of a small number of the townsfolk who haven't seen that much entertainment in years.

A young boy steps out of the crowd and follows after them, saying, "That's it?!  That's the best you can do?  You were supposed to beat him, not watch him walk away."  The armored one responds with, "We agreed to pick a fight and see who is best.  We have no reason to want to hurt your brother.  If he wants to take his axe and go home, so be it."  The young boy follows the Halflings through the marketplace, attempting to convince them to take another stab at fighting his brother.  It appears his pleadings are ill-received to the Halflings.

Caerus spots the bald-headed man soon after the fight breaks up.  He appears to be very skilled at remaining hidden in crowds, and had Caerus not employed similar tactics in the wild he might not have noticed.  The bald-headed man heads down an alleyway into the northern part of town, followed by two very large and not-sophisticated looking men.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 12:53:21 AM »
"Do we know why Josah's son entered Tomm Swamp in the first place? Was he on his way to Norbal and got lost? Are there any stories of items or locations of value in Tomm Swamp that might lead somewhere there? Seems like a strange and treacherous place for a boy to get lost."
"According to my report, Josah decided to take a shortcut through the swamp from Brimm.  That's a town on the northwestern side of the swamp.  Josah sells most of his goods there, and when running late he will take a ferry through the swamp to save time rather than take the road around the swamp.  Josah's boy was pulled off the ferry and into the water just before the ferry reached the landing on this side of the swamp; vanishing into the depths almost immediately.

I only have rumors of the goings-on in the swamp, which I take little stock in.  But for what it's worth, my grandfather told me one: Tomm Swamp was named after a famous Elven war general in times past.  According to some, his tomb lies buried somewhere in the swamp.  This tomb was actually part of Norbal when it was an active fort, and as such may be connected to it somehow."

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 12:59:57 AM »
Korgan rolls his eyes and was about to comment when he heard Ward's response.  Trolls, stirges, and lizardmen?  This is interesting

"Ward, when does your caravan leave for Norbal?
"We leave at the eighth bell, which is just over an hour from now."

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
"According to my report, Josah decided to take a shortcut through the swamp from Brimm.  That's a town on the northwestern side of the swamp.  Josah sells most of his goods there, and when running late he will take a ferry through the swamp to save time rather than take the road around the swamp.  Josah's boy was pulled off the ferry and into the water just before the ferry reached the landing on this side of the swamp; vanishing into the depths almost immediately.

I only have rumors of the goings-on in the swamp, which I take little stock in.  But for what it's worth, my grandfather told me one: Tomm Swamp was named after a famous Elven war general in times past.  According to some, his tomb lies buried somewhere in the swamp.  This tomb was actually part of Norbal when it was an active fort, and as such may be connected to it somehow."

The glow of the excitement of starting the mission disappears from Ser Nelio's face as he hears Ward's report on how the Josah's boy went missing. Why did I not ask these questions earlier? It seems it may be impossible to save the boy, much less recover his body. He looks down toward the ground and lets out a heavy sigh.

"Constable, how many days has the boy been missing? Does the report say what might have pulled him overboard and into the water? In your honest opinion, what chance does the boy have to still be alive? I am a gnome of my word and intend to still help with the search efforts, but it may help to be able to prepare. Knowing beforehand if it may likely be more of a recovery effort will help temper expectations."

"And regarding the tomb, did your grandfather ever see this tomb? Or had he only also heard of it?"

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:27:50 AM by crazy_sherm »

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 01:36:40 AM »

A young boy steps out of the crowd and follows after them, saying, "That's it?!  That's the best you can do?  You were supposed to beat him, not watch him walk away."  The armored one responds with, "We agreed to pick a fight and see who is best.  We have no reason to want to hurt your brother.  If he wants to take his axe and go home, so be it."  The young boy follows the Halflings through the marketplace, attempting to convince them to take another stab at fighting his brother.  It appears his pleadings are ill-received to the Halflings.

Eyeing the bald man for a second, Caerus pauses.

Now, now, curiosity killed the cat…

Caerus removes his hand from the sword at his hip and walks briskly to the halflings.  His mind races as he tries to formulate an enticing offer as he shoulders his way past the boy.

I wonder if he’s the same one that solicited the dwarf earlier.  Never mind, keep to the task at hand…

"Excuse me, Flip?  Flap?  That was quite the display!"

He feigns enthusiasm towards their fight.

"I was wondering if you’d be willing to join a party to Tomm Swamp on the way to Norbal?  We’re looking for a missing boy."

He takes a breath before continuing.  With a broad, forced smile, exaggerates his excitement even more, as if he was speaking to his youngest sister.

"There would be plenty of opportunities for you to compete.   And extra points if you find the boy.  You would also be entitled to your share of any spoils."

What was it Ward said?  Oh, right!

"I’m sure we could find some shiny new toys for you, too."

He says the last line using the exaggerated and childish version of a persuasive voice he once used to convince little Myrielle to do her chores.