Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp  (Read 38044 times)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »
Soon before the eighth bell strikes, the din of the marketplace grows.  The locals know this is their last chance to hock their wares to the travelers going to Norbal.  Travelers are welcomed to a horse cart with two rows of seats in the carriage.  One after one, those who will risk their lives in the chaos dungeon climb into the back of the cart and take a seat.  Ser Nelio insists on being the first to ascend, followed by Caerus, Flip and Flap, Hoal, Korgan, and the two Half-Orcs.  As the eighth bell rings, the cart lurches forward to begin the journey, flanked by four guardsmen on horseback.

The cart moves slowly at first, so it is easier to navigate the busy streets of the marketplace.  Once outside the town limits, the pace speeds up a bit.  The respite from the rain that plagues the area ends swiftly, as large droplets begin to fall upon the travelers from above.  The rain limits vision, but you are able to discern the road that leads north to the basin in which the chaos dungeon resides.

After almost eight hours of traveling in this endless pocket of wet landscape, the outskirts of Tomm Swamp begin to make themselves known.  The rain begins to pool around the northeastern range of your vision, and moss clings to gnarled trees.  The air feels more dense here, like a giant slowly pressing down on you from above.

Soon after the swamp landscape appears a light can be seen ahead at the extent of your vision.  "Look!  Is that a will-o-wisp?" asks one Halfling.  "No, you silly little man, sit down," replies the driver.  As you approach, you see that the light is actually a hooded lantern hanging from a sign posted at a fork in the road.  In the western-facing direction, the sign reads NORBAL; and in the northeastern-facing direction it reads MULBER FERRY / BRIMM.  The beginnings of an outpost can be seen in the grass on one side of the road.  "Sheriff Ward has set a crew to begin working on a proper rest stop.  The temporary campsites have been too risky as of late," says the driver, to no one in particular.  He leads the cart off the road toward a half-built barracks.  A stack of timber can be seen on the opposite side, and sawhorses and other building tools lay strewn about the area.

The driver says, "Dammit, where the hell is Norah this time?  Johnson!  Spread out and find those lazy sods.  There'll be hell to pay if we don't get that barracks finished soon."  The four guardsmen on horseback ride out and search the area, but could find no sign of the workers.  "Their tools and all their equipment is still here, sir," says the guardsman named Johnson, "they couldn't have gone far without their food."  The driver, a captain named Smith according to the other guardsmen, leads you into the workers' camp and points to one of the finished buildings, a smaller one set to house no more than a dozen, and tells you to wait inside until he can find out what happened to the workers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:45:41 AM by Gnomeo »
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
Since Nelio was the first onto the wagon, that makes him the last one off. After the group is being told to wait in the building while the guardsmen search for the workers, Nelio scoots and squeezes his way between the other group members to the front.

"Captain Smith, allow me to introduce myself. I am Ser Nelio, holy warrior of the Grassy Hill of Noh. Sheriff Ward has put me in charge of leading a search party into Tomm Swamp to find Josah's son. Perhaps we can also assist you now in the search for the workmen. Should foul play be involved, you would definitely want more boots on the ground to help investigate. We can help further the effort better outside than waiting idly by inside a small building."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
Since Nelio was the first onto the wagon, that makes him the last one off. After the group is being told to wait in the building while the guardsmen search for the workers, Nelio scoots and squeezes his way between the other group members to the front.

"Captain Smith, allow me to introduce myself. I am Ser Nelio, holy warrior of the Grassy Hill of Noh. Sheriff Ward has put me in charge of leading a search party into Tomm Swamp to find Josah's son. Perhaps we can also assist you now in the search for the workmen. Should foul play be involved, you would definitely want more boots on the ground to help investigate. We can help further the effort better outside than waiting idly by inside a small building."

Upon hearing Nelio, Caerus sighs and folds his arms.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves are we.

"Sir Nelio, we don't even know if anything is amiss.  By the driver's reaction, this has happened before.  Perhaps we should take advantage of the opportunity to rest.  We will have plenty to do in the coming days."

On the other hand, if they really are lost, I can't stand by as they wander the wilderness.

Thinking about it further, he relaxes his arms and adds.

"It's only mid-afternoon.  How about we wait until supper?  If they are still missing by then, I will be happy to join you in the search."
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »

Here we go again.  Always ready to jump into the thick of things before understanding the situation.  He's gonna get himself killed.  Worse, he's gonna us killed.

Korgan hops off the carriage and slowly scans the barracks and the surrounding area for anything amiss

(click to show/hide)
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »

Upon hearing Nelio, Caerus sighs and folds his arms.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves are we.

"Sir Nelio, we don't even know if anything is amiss.  By the driver's reaction, this has happened before.  Perhaps we should take advantage of the opportunity to rest.  We will have plenty to do in the coming days."

On the other hand, if they really are lost, I can't stand by as they wander the wilderness.

Thinking about it further, he relaxes his arms and adds.

"It's only mid-afternoon.  How about we wait until supper?  If they are still missing by then, I will be happy to join you in the search."

"Caerus, good idea. Please be a dear and go get supper ready. I'm just going to take a quick look first."

Nelio heads over to where the workers' abandoned equipment has been left, says a small prayer asking for assistance, and searches the area for anything out of the ordinary.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
Korgan looks around the area, but sees nothing out of sorts.  He began to agree with Caerus that the search was a waste of time now, until he sees Nelio scratching his chin while looking at a pile of tools.  Perhaps the stick up his backside is a divining rod.

Upon looking at one work area, Nelio notices something out of sorts: One of the lumber boards is only half-nailed into place.  All of the tools are present, including a small pile of nails.  It looks as if whoever was working simply placed the tools down with the work halfway finished.  This is certainly not something a professional carpenter would do.  The pile of nails alone is a safety hazard.

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »
"Caerus, good idea. Please be a dear and go get supper ready. I'm just going to take a quick look first."

Oh sure, I'll get your supper.  Just you wait....

Caerus walks over to Captain Smith and asks:

"Captian, is there a mess hall or are we responsible for our dinners?  I'm not expecting anything, but if I have to hunt, I'd like to start before it gets dark."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
Korgan looks around the area, but sees nothing out of sorts.  He began to agree with Caerus that the search was a waste of time now, until he sees Nelio scratching his chin while looking at a pile of tools.  Perhaps the stick up his backside is a divining rod.

Upon looking at one work area, Nelio notices something out of sorts: One of the lumber boards is only half-nailed into place.  All of the tools are present, including a small pile of nails.  It looks as if whoever was working simply placed the tools down with the work halfway finished.  This is certainly not something a professional carpenter would do.  The pile of nails alone is a safety hazard.

(click to show/hide)

Interesting...I know human work is not nearly up to gnome standards, but even this would not pass for substandard orc quality. I wonder if something scared them off?

Nelio inspects the ground to check for footprints. Did the workers leave in a hurry (long strides) or did they leave at a normal pace?

(click to show/hide)

After inspecting the ground, Nelio looks around and starts waving his arm with a sense of urgency, trying to signalling any of the guards, Captain Smith, or any of the group members to come over.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:53:09 PM by crazy_sherm »

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

"Captian, is there a mess hall or are we responsible for our dinners?  I'm not expecting anything, but if I have to hunt, I'd like to start before it gets dark."
"Well, if this were any other day, I would say that supper has been prepared for us.  However, I just received a report from Johnson that the stew we should be eating is basically boiling water with a few potatoes.  You're welcome to try to revive our supper in that building there, or hunt your own if you prefer.  My men and I have some emergency trail rations if all else fails."

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
Nelio inspects the ground to check for footprints. Did the workers leave in a hurry (long strides) or did they leave at a normal pace?

After inspecting the ground, Nelio looks around and starts waving his arm with a sense of urgency, trying to signalling any of the guards, Captain Smith, or any of the group members to come over.
The rainfall and generally damp environment has prevented Nelio from discerning a pattern to the footprints he sees.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »

"Well, if this were any other day, I would say that supper has been prepared for us.  However, I just received a report from Johnson that the stew we should be eating is basically boiling water with a few potatoes.  You're welcome to try to revive our supper in that building there, or hunt your own if you prefer.  My men and I have some emergency trail rations if all else fails."

"Thank you, captain."

Caerus returns to the group and seeks out Korgan.

"I was just informed that dinner will be boiled potatoes.  I was thinking about going on a hunt to supplement our meal.  Would you join me?  There is safety in numbers, after all."

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »

"I was just informed that dinner will be boiled potatoes.  I was thinking about going on a hunt to supplement our meal.  Would you join me?  There is safety in numbers, after all."

"Aye, I'll go with ya.  Better than sitting around here with the barking pup." Korgan gestures towards the gnome.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »

"Aye, I'll go with ya.  Better than sitting around here with the barking pup." Korgan gestures towards the gnome.

Caerus nods in agreement at the gesture.

"I appreciate the help."

With Korgan in tow, Caerus checks his gear and heads beyond the edge of the unfinished outpost.  After a couple minutes he draws his bow and, using the cold, drizzly weather and the surrounding trees as cover, he begins to search for game.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 12:00:27 AM »
As Caerus and Korgan set out to find dinner, they come upon signs of the hunting pattern of a large mammal.  Making sure to remain downwind, Caerus is able to follow the tracks to the source.  In a small clearing, sniffing the air, is a black bear.  The bear bends down to sniff the ground for a moment, and then sets out northeast, away from the two hunters' position.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »
The guardsmen meet Nelio soon after he waves them over.  They agree that the scene is odd, but can't seem to make heads or tails of the significance.  They continue the search, and widen the search area a bit in an attempt to find the missing craftsmen.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 01:03:54 AM »
As Caerus and Korgan set out to find dinner, they come upon signs of the hunting pattern of a large mammal.  Making sure to remain downwind, Caerus is able to follow the tracks to the source.  In a small clearing, sniffing the air, is a black bear.  The bear bends down to sniff the ground for a moment, and then sets out northeast, away from the two hunters' position.

Caerus leans in close to Korgan and whispers.

"He's a bit bigger than I was hoping for.  I think we can get him if we work together.  You should ready a weapon."

Caerus nocks an arrow, and, holding the bow low at his waist, follows the bear a silently as possible.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »
Caerus leans in close to Korgan and whispers.

"He's a bit bigger than I was hoping for.  I think we can get him if we work together.  You should ready a weapon."

Caerus nocks an arrow, and, holding the bow low at his waist, follows the bear a silently as possible.

Korgan grins and quietly unsheathes his waraxe while strapping on his shield.  He readys himself to intercept the bear should it come charging towards them.

This should be fun and interesting.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
Settling in at a comfortable distance, Caerus  rolls his shoulder to loosen it and draws the arrow back.

Alright, about 50ft.  Wind in my face.  Heavy air.  He's walking away.

Caerus runs through as many variables as he can in the second-and-a-half that it takes him to reach a proper firing position.  As the feathers brush his cheek, he aims, exhales, and releases his fingers from the bow string.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
The arrow plants itself firmly in the shoulder of the bear, soliciting a roar of pain.  The animal turns, snarling at his attacker, and charges forward, heedless of the Dwarf now imposing himself between them.  Claws flash, lightning fast, but only scrape against the Dwarf's shield.  The bear's charge has proven ineffective, the force of the impact easily diverted to the ground through years of training.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:55:53 AM by Gnomeo »

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
Unafraid of being outnumbered, the bear continues to attack, lashing out at the wall of Dwarf standing before it.  The Dwarf's defensive stance proves effective once again, as the bear's claws scrape against the large shield between them.

(click to show/hide)