Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp  (Read 38049 times)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2013, 02:33:13 AM »
Frustration welling up inside him, Korgan erupts in a blur of motion; making two swift strikes that cleave the creature holding Caerus into several pieces.  To his horror, Caerus notices that the creature's hand is still firmly grasping his ankle, despite being severed from the body.

As Nelio plants his feet in preparation to strike, one of his feet slips on an errant patch of moss and slips beneath him.  Nelio is able to recover quickly, however his attack failed to reach the target.

The robed Halfling shouts aloud, "Bring it back where I can see it!"  Turning his head, he sees the creature combating Nelio and decides to rob the Gnome of any possible point capture.  Mumbling and gesturing, another gout of flame erupts around the creature, and popping sounds begin to be heard; not unlike those of the kindling of a campfire.

(click to show/hide)
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
Frustration welling up inside him, Korgan erupts in a blur of motion; making two swift strikes that cleave the creature holding Caerus into several pieces.  To his horror, Caerus notices that the creature's hand is still firmly grasping his ankle, despite being severed from the body.

As Nelio plants his feet in preparation to strike, one of his feet slips on an errant patch of moss and slips beneath him.  Nelio is able to recover quickly, however his attack failed to reach the target.

The robed Halfling shouts aloud, "Bring it back where I can see it!"  Turning his head, he sees the creature combating Nelio and decides to rob the Gnome of any possible point capture.  Mumbling and gesturing, another gout of flame erupts around the creature, and popping sounds begin to be heard; not unlike those of the kindling of a campfire.

“Ugh… That’s disgusting.”

Caerus shakes the dangling arm from his foot, resisting the urge to throw up.  Not seeing any immediate danger,   he trots to a defensive position between the boy and the pool.

Nelio seems to have things well in hand; best to stay here for now.
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2013, 12:55:34 AM »
The armored Halfling continues to battle the creature holding him underwater.  Ripples in the pool serve to communicate that something is going on under there, but whatever it is you are unable to see it.

The creature near Nelio makes an extremely pitiful attempt to grab him.  It must be distracted by the bright orange flames erupting from its back.  It does not appear to care much for its own well being, as any sane person would make an attempt to douse the flames.

Having seen Caerus fight the creatures attempting to kill him, Josah's son does not run when Caerus approaches.  In fact, he appears to relax a little bit.  The bags under his eyes and the long stares give him the look of someone who has been on edge for quite some time.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
Seeing the struggle in the water, Korgan reaches into his pack and pulls out his rope.  He looks for a loose branch to tie the rope to in hopes of tossing it to the halfling.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2013, 11:59:57 PM »
Inspired by the orange flames licking off the creatures back, Nelio recovers from his previous stumble. He lifts his sword arm high and slashes downward in a large windmill fashion, pressing all his weight hehind the strike.

(click to show/hide)

Nelio shouts over to Caerus, "What are you doing just standing there?! Help Flip (or is it Flap?)!

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2013, 06:14:07 PM »
Nelio shouts over to Caerus, "What are you doing just standing there?! Help Flip (or is it Flap?)!

Staying light on his feet, Caerus moves towards Nelio.

"I can't see him and I can't risk hitting him!"

With no other targets in sight, Caerus moves to flank the creature that Nelio is engaged with.  Spotting an opening, he sidesteps and thrusts the rapier into the creature's midsection.

"As soon as Korgan gets the rope set up, we'll go after him!"

(click to show/hide)

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
Nelio and Caerus wind up attacking at the exact same moment.  Nelio felt no impact at the end of his blade, but he must have connected since the creature is now defeated.

The spellcaster Halfling begins to realize the urgency required to help his brother.  He looks about in a panic, searching for a way to assist.  The water is too dark to see him, however.  As his eyes dart around, they come to rest on the first creature; the one with the glowing arrow in its torso.  The Halfling then rummages through his pack for something heavy.  A crowbar, perfect.  A few mumbled incantations later the crowbar is emitting light like a torch.  He then tosses it near where he last saw his brother.  Down it goes, about three man-heights deep, to rest at the bottom.  His brother and the last remaining creature can now be located, though their image through the muck is still rather distorted.

The new light source reveals the two combatants still struggling to get the upper hand in the underwater fight.  For now they appear to have a stalemate.  Josah's son appears to be concerned for this stranger who is helping him, but more concerned with getting the hell out of there.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2013, 12:40:19 AM »
Seeing the magically lit torch illuminating the creature and the Halfing, Korgan abandons the idea of tying the rope to a log.  Instead, he ties the rope around his waist, grabs his axe, and leaps through the air towards the two struggling underwater.  In midair, Korgan raises the axe above his head and as he's about to land in the water, brings the axe down upon where he believes the creature to be...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
Seeing the magically lit torch illuminating the creature and the Halfing, Korgan abandons the idea of tying the rope to a log.  Instead, he ties the rope around his waist, grabs his axe, and leaps through the air towards the two struggling underwater.  In midair, Korgan raises the axe above his head and as he's about to land in the water, brings the axe down upon where he believes the creature to be...

(click to show/hide)

Confirm crit:
Rolled 1d20+5 : 20 + 5, total 25

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Confirm crit: This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+5 : 20 + 5, total 25

Extra damage:
Rolled 1d10+6 : 8 + 6, total 14

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »
Seeing the dwarf leap into the water, swinging his axe with such a monstrous cleave, Nelio figures whatever he hits will be easily split in two. Unsure of Korgan's swimming prowess, however, Nelio quickly scampers over to the loose end of the rope tied to Korgan's waist and grabs a hold before it disappears into the murky pool.

"Caerus! Come help me pull them back out!"

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:11 AM »
Caerus steps on the back of the fallen creature and dislodges his rapier.  He turns and runs to Nelio.  When he arrives, he drops the knife and sticks the blade of his sword about six inches into the ground.  With his hands now free, he grabs the rope just in front of Nelio and digs his feet into the muddy ground.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
Korgan's axe swing came down so hard, the water around his target appeared to part for a heartbeat's time.  No, surely that was your imagination.  Regardless, the creatures have been defeated, and as Korgan lands in the dark pool the armored Halfling grasps his arm.  The others easily draw them up from the pool like a fisherman pulls the day's catch.

"Thank you," says the boy.  "My name is Toral.  One of those things pulled me off the ferry a few days ago, and I've been hiding from them ever since."

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »
Korgan's axe swing came down so hard, the water around his target appeared to part for a heartbeat's time.  No, surely that was your imagination.  Regardless, the creatures have been defeated, and as Korgan lands in the dark pool the armored Halfling grasps his arm.  The others easily draw them up from the pool like a fisherman pulls the day's catch.

"Thank you," says the boy.  "My name is Toral.  One of those things pulled me off the ferry a few days ago, and I've been hiding from them ever since."

After pulling the armored halfling out of the water and back onto solid land, Nelio notices that Flip was injured during his underwater tussle with the creature. He walks over to the halfling, claps his hands together and starts rubbing them together feverishly. (Mr. Miyagi style). Nelio's hands begin to glow with a faint warm light. "Sorry, but this may sting a little." As Nelio then begins to vigorously massage the halfing's head, neck, and shoulders, you can see the the warm light from his hands disappear into the halfling's body.

(click to show/hide)

After a few moments of intense massaging, Nelio looks drained and releases his hands from Flip. Nelio then bends down on one knee and begins saying a few prayers.

(click to show/hide)

Turning his attention now to the boy, Nelio approaches him and looks him over. "I am Ser Nelio, holy warrior of the Grassy Hill of Noh. I have been charged by Sheriff Ward of Argos to find you and bring you back to town. Your family has been very worried about you. Can you tell me what happened after you were pulled from the ferry? How did you manage to escape and stay away from all these foul creatures for such a long time?

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
While Nelio interrogates Toral, Caerus plucks his rapier from the ground and gives it a flick, sending drops of water and bits of mud flying into the pool.  He pinches the blade between his gloved fingers and runs them down to the point, ensuring that the blade is clean before replacing it in its scabbard  He grabs the dagger and begins to walk to where the first creature had grabbed him.  As he does, he wipes the blade on his sleeve and sheathes it alongside the rapier.

When he arrives to where the fight had started, he ponders the severed arm for a second before turning his back to it and the pool.

Ugh.  Yeah, that's still awful.

He swallows hard, gathering himself, and paces off four steps while looking towards the ground.  After a few seconds, he spots his bow and picks it up.  He manages to brush most of the mud off the string, although at some point his dirty gloves seem to just spread it around rather than remove it.  He draws the string back, checking the flex.  Satisfied that the bow is undamaged, he returns it to his shoulder and searches the nearest dead creature for any items that might be useful.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:18:32 PM by NasT »

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2013, 12:21:41 AM »
The armored Halfling mumbles a "Thanks," when Nelio finishes his lay on hands.  It's unclear which he dislikes more: the intense rubdown from an overbearing Gnome, or the poor performance in the fight that just concluded.  Whatever the case, we walks off a bit to sulk.

In response to Nelio's questioning, Toral says, "Well, one of them grabbed my cloak and pulled me down under the water.  I wiggled free of the cloak and swam as fast as I could.  They weren't too fast in the water.  After I got far enough away, I took shelter in a big tree.  I started eating what father showed me was good enough, and after a couple days I heard voices shouting my name.  I called back, but before they could reach me these things stopped them.  I don't know how they do it, but they change you.  These things were once people I knew in Argos."

Caerus' search does not turn up much.  Whatever these men became, they cared little for possessions.  The armor they did have was in very poor condition, and often vital portions were missing entirely while mundane sections remained.  It would appear that they were wearing this when "whatever happened to them" occurred, and they simply didn't bother with it again.  Empty scabbards and hanging quivers support this theory.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2013, 01:21:48 AM »
Listening to Toral's story, Nelio nods in approval. "Well, young man, you have acted very bravely through this ordeal. Your father will be very proud to know that you followed his lessons well and survived unscathed. We best get you back home to him. Our group is on our way to Norbal, but we can probably take you back to the camp and have Captain Smith help you the rest of the way home."

Turning towards the rest of the party, "Let's make sure to burn the corpses and gather the ashes so their families can lay them to rest."

Nelio starts dragging the severed arms, legs, and torsos of the creatures and begins making a pile for burning.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
Listening to Toral's story, Nelio nods in approval. "Well, young man, you have acted very bravely through this ordeal. Your father will be very proud to know that you followed his lessons well and survived unscathed. We best get you back home to him. Our group is on our way to Norbal, but we can probably take you back to the camp and have Captain Smith help you the rest of the way home."

Turning towards the rest of the party, "Let's make sure to burn the corpses and gather the ashes so their families can lay them to rest."

Nelio starts dragging the severed arms, legs, and torsos of the creatures and begins making a pile for burning.

"Nelio, I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I believe it to be misguided.  First, if you burn the bodies together, we won’t be able to separate the ashes.  Returning a “mixed bag” of remains is unseemly.

Second, we don’t know who any of these people were.  Even if we assume two of them were the rangers we were following, I don’t know anything about where they’re from, do you?  And the ones that grabbed Toval would have to have been turned long before we even conceived of going to Norbal.  I see no way of finding their next of kin.

Third, I don’t think we have time to wait for the bodies to burn.  We have a half-day’s travel to either the outpost or the dock we left this morning, and barely a half-day’s light to travel by.  It would be dangerous to camp in the middle of the swamp.  And there’s Toval to consider. Sure he’s survived out here, but he’s overdue for a warm bed and a meal.

Finally, every minute that we’re out here, so are the Captain’s guardsmen.  They are a just as much risk as we are out here, and it is inconsiderate to delay.  We have a responsibility to relieve them of this duty.

If you want to burn the bodies, fine.  Let’s set them ablaze and be off.  It’s a long road in front of us."

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
"Nelio, I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I believe it to be misguided.  First, if you burn the bodies together, we won’t be able to separate the ashes.  Returning a “mixed bag” of remains is unseemly.

Second, we don’t know who any of these people were.  Even if we assume two of them were the rangers we were following, I don’t know anything about where they’re from, do you?  And the ones that grabbed Toval would have to have been turned long before we even conceived of going to Norbal.  I see no way of finding their next of kin.

Third, I don’t think we have time to wait for the bodies to burn.  We have a half-day’s travel to either the outpost or the dock we left this morning, and barely a half-day’s light to travel by.  It would be dangerous to camp in the middle of the swamp.  And there’s Toval to consider. Sure he’s survived out here, but he’s overdue for a warm bed and a meal.

Finally, every minute that we’re out here, so are the Captain’s guardsmen.  They are a just as much risk as we are out here, and it is inconsiderate to delay.  We have a responsibility to relieve them of this duty.

If you want to burn the bodies, fine.  Let’s set them ablaze and be off.  It’s a long road in front of us."

Korgan chuckles as finishes drying himself off...

"Let's head back to the outpost before darkness falls."

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »

"I suppose you're right. We don't have the time for sorting the ashes nor a proper burial. We may not know what man each creature used to be, but we know at least a few of them were guardsmen and possibly the half-orc rangers. They deserve more than being left as food for scavengers. Let's gather what's left of the bodies and have Flip set them ablaze with magical fire. I'll say a prayer to guide their soul into the afterlife. Think you can help me with the corpses?"