Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp  (Read 38034 times)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »

"I suppose you're right. We don't have the time for sorting the ashes nor a proper burial. We may not know what man each creature used to be, but we know at least a few of them were guardsmen and possibly the half-orc rangers. They deserve more than being left as food for scavengers. Let's gather what's left of the bodies and have Flip set them ablaze with magical fire. I'll say a prayer to guide their soul into the afterlife. Think you can help me with the corpses?"

"That sounds more reasonable.  I'll get these over here."

As soon as Caerus agrees, he regrets it.  The sight of the severed arm and the cleaved head make him sick to his stomach.  He swallows hard and lets out an audible breath.

There's something more horrific about battlefield wounds.  It's not like hunting at all.  I suppose this is only going to be more common in Norbal.
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
The party goes about the gruesome business of gathering severed limbs and scattered equipment and placing them in a pile.  Already drenched and grimy, the armored Halfling volunteers to gather the remains of the one in the water.  No comment was made about the irony of him pulling the creature out of the water that the creature pulled him into.

Once the pile is completed, the spellcaster mumbles an incantation and the entire group of creatures erupt in flames immediately.  The flames seemed eager to consume these creatures.  As Nelio whispers a prayer for the fallen, the creatures burn completely in a matter of minutes, leaving nothing but ash.  It appears that all of the former Human life was consumed, including their skeletons.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2013, 12:49:21 AM »
The party goes about the gruesome business of gathering severed limbs and scattered equipment and placing them in a pile.  Already drenched and grimy, the armored Halfling volunteers to gather the remains of the one in the water.  No comment was made about the irony of him pulling the creature out of the water that the creature pulled him into.

Once the pile is completed, the spellcaster mumbles an incantation and the entire group of creatures erupt in flames immediately.  The flames seemed eager to consume these creatures.  As Nelio whispers a prayer for the fallen, the creatures burn completely in a matter of minutes, leaving nothing but ash.  It appears that all of the former Human life was consumed, including their skeletons.

"Right then; let's be off."

Caerus turns away from the smoldering remains.  As he begins to trace the path back to the outpost, he checks that he has all of his gear.  Periodically, he throws a glance over his shoulder.  To anyone else it would appear that he's ensuring that his comrades are keeping up, but in reality he can't take his mind off the pool, even as it fades into the distance.  The sticky mud feels a bit heavier to him for some reason.

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
"Does anyone else require healing before we head back? Otherwise, we best be on our way."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2013, 02:30:39 AM »
As Caerus leads the group back to the outpost, a mischievous smile crosses his face.

Lets lighten the mood.

"By the way, Flip; Flap.  We found the boy, so you get your five bonus points.  But you were both there, so you have to split them, three and two.  It doesn't matter to me who gets the extra point.  Just decide amongst yourselves."

Caerus can't hold back any longer and his broad grin is now readily apparent.

...and let the chaos ensue.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2013, 01:15:10 AM »
As Caerus leads the group back to the outpost, a mischievous smile crosses his face.

Lets lighten the mood.

"By the way, Flip; Flap.  We found the boy, so you get your five bonus points.  But you were both there, so you have to split them, three and two.  It doesn't matter to me who gets the extra point.  Just decide amongst yourselves."

Caerus can't hold back any longer and his broad grin is now readily apparent.

...and let the chaos ensue.

"Does that mean I get 10 points for taking out two of them?" says Korgan with a grin.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »
"Does that mean I get 10 points for taking out two of them?" says Korgan with a grin.

"I believe the rules are one point per victory,"  Caerus says with a laugh  "...but if you want ten, I don't think any of us are in a position to stop you."

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »
Listening to this conversation about points, Nelio finally has a moment of clarity when he realizes noone is talking about piercing weapons. Nelio stops in his tracks, raises his right hand up to get everyone's attention, and clears his throat. Speaking to no specific person in particular, he states:

"I believe I now understand these 'points' that you all speak of. If I am not mistaken, they represent individual victories in battle over one's opponents. I cannot in good conscience partake in such a competitive activity, nor do I desire to trivialize the death of my enemies. Therefore, I wish to forfeit my accumulated points and donate them to the party. Caerus, from this point forward, I bestow upon you the duty of being Master of Points. I have 3 points, please distribute them as you see fit."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
Listening to this conversation about points, Nelio finally has a moment of clarity when he realizes noone is talking about piercing weapons. Nelio stops in his tracks, raises his right hand up to get everyone's attention, and clears his throat. Speaking to no specific person in particular, he states:

"I believe I now understand these 'points' that you all speak of. If I am not mistaken, they represent individual victories in battle over one's opponents. I cannot in good conscience partake in such a competitive activity, nor do I desire to trivialize the death of my enemies. Therefore, I wish to forfeit my accumulated points and donate them to the party. Caerus, from this point forward, I bestow upon you the duty of being Master of Points. I have 3 points, please distribute them as you see fit."

A sour taste enters Caerus' mouth and his grin disappears abruptly.  Instead of the squabbling halflings, he got Nelio.

That was short lived.  This is no longer fun.

"I count two, Nelio.  And only because Flip and Flap witnessed the first,"
  he says in a dry voice.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:48:42 PM by NasT »

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2013, 12:28:36 AM »
Much to everyone's surprise, the two Halflings appear to be offended when the prospect of moving points around is brought up.  The robed one says, "We all get the bonus points for finding Toral.  That means Korgan has eight, Nelio has seven, Caerus has six, and we each have five.  If Nelio doesn't want to play, that's his business, but we're not cheating our scores.  It's about who's best, not who can count the highest."

"Lucky for you, since I can count higher than ten."

"A skill you won't need since you spend all your time swimming."

"Look at the pot calling the kettle black."

"At least my spells actually helped, how many times did you hit with your pointy stick?"

The Halflings continue like this all the way back to the crossroads.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:19 AM »
As the party turns its back on the murky pool, something within senses their movement.

Their heartbeats are strong, and their weapons swift.  What wondrous things could be accomplished with such toys?  This latest batch of drones proved rather effective.  Their minds, while dominated, were still able to make simple decisions.  These were unlike the other animals that have graced the area.  They are simpler and easier to control but far more savage and unpredictable.

It's a pity that none of them fell prey to our call.  We almost had one of the smaller ones, but the damn thing resisted in time.  Ah well, such is existence.

We will wait.

More will come.

They always do.