Author Topic: [PF] Archeologist/Paladin  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Sobolev

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I miss my post count!
    • View Profile
[PF] Archeologist/Paladin
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
I'm currently in a Pathfinder Adventure Path of Jade Regent, and my character met an untimely demise (got hit with a few Scorching Rays).  Therefore I'm building a new character.  Party is level 3, 20 Point Buy.  Core races plus the elemental races seem to be allowed.  A friend handed me this build and I like a lot of things about it, but just looking to make it as good as I can.  Basic gist is the character is a Paladin who begins exploring tombs and the like to recover holy relics and destroy evil ones (and picks up archeologist levels while doing so).  The build itself is a bit weaker (much weaker than just Wizard 3 or something) but it has some neat flavor, uses Archeologist which is cool, and I think it can be good enough in this party.  That being said, I'd like to work hard to make sure that remains the case.  Other Archeologist type builds I'm open to as I think that's the major part that appeals to me here, but to be honest, straight Bard feels pretty whatever.

The rest of the party is as follows
    Human Gunslinger:  Uses an XBow instead of a Gun, but everything else basically seems to be the same.
    Gnome Paladin: Mounted Combat, Spirited Charge and the like, has a pretty high AC and seems to be the party tank.
    Half-Elf Magus: Hanging out with a Bastard Sword and casts a lot of Acid Splash/Shocking Grasp.

And the build I'm considering:

Fetchling Paladin of Saranrae 2 (Divine Hunter) / Bard (Archeologist) 1
Str 12 / Dex 18 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 5 / Cha 16

Feats
1 Precise Shot (Divine Hunter)
1 Weapon Finesse
3 Lingering Performance

Skills
Acrobatics 3
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3
Spellcraft 3
Stealth 1
Knowledge (Religion) 1
Ride 1
Diplomacy 1

I imagine the character being a switch hitter of sorts, opening with a few shots and then closing to melee.  Current plan is to take more Bard levels until 6ish.  As for the party, when I look at it, it screams for a dedicated caster but when I mentioned Druid to the DM he said he would like to minimize long turns (summons make for long turns) and I've played like 6 Clerics lately.  I also already played a Sorcerer with this group (and I fear if I try too hard with a Wizard or Sorcerer the party will get overshadowed).  Open to advice, even how to make a more Bard focused build viable.  Look forward to some good advice.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:43:24 PM by Sobolev »