Author Topic: Craking the Quori Power Link Shard  (Read 26363 times)

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
Re: Craking the Quori Power Link Shard
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:37 AM »
But it really is seen across MMX, BG, GitP, and WotC that by intent they should stack.

I'll admit I don't do much with Eberron, and if them working that way has been taken as consensus for TO RaW, I won't harp on it... Beyond pointing out that I find it rather silly if anyone is claiming the intent is for them to stack, especially when it most seems to imply that the intent is for the shard to only apply to the "associated limb with a ghostly outline of a quori limb."

No one is stopping you from progressing the build using other means

No intent to progress it myself, and no beef; simply pointing out the synergy with a form using non arbitrary limbs with far more than was presented.  ;)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »
Beyond pointing out that I find it rather silly if anyone is claiming the intent is for them to stack, especially when it most seems to imply that the intent is for the shard to only apply to the "associated limb with a ghostly outline of a quori limb.
*ahem* "this effect" is only brought up with no more AoOs. The last sentence "in addition" can ambiguously apply to the effect or for wearing the item and it increases unarmed damage which includes all limbs rather than the text specifying that limb (see it's more intent!). And technically the size increase isn't named or a "bonus". [/takesashowerforfeelingdirty]

Really the only thing that prevents them from stacking is same effect from Magic's rules which I haven't done a great job of caring about about anyway. And the FAQ doesn't like me either for much of the same reasons. So you should have enough to normally ban it from the table anyway, the Quori Shard part will always rely on subjective reading.

Hmm, 2,100gp for a CL14 Scroll of Mental Pinnacle & the build has about 6k left over. Problem with Consumption solved really. I'll worry about updating later one day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:28:05 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »
And technically the size increase isn't named or a "bonus".

That, especially, is true. But if you have to use the word "technically" and talk about what's not written, you're no longer on stable ground for assigning author intent.  ;) And not clearly differentiating between RaW and RaI is poor TO. RaW, you can argue they stack (and rather well since you end up bogged down in the rehashed multiple different magic items providing different effects debate). But it is simply stubborn blindness to assume the RaI is the same.

And the FAQ are almost (but not quite) as bad as the Sage Advice columns...

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
Need to factor in strength and such still.

out of that whole post, this is what caught my attention   :twitch
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Funny isn't it?

@Ejo, not quite. Basically RAW side it's not a bonus, yeahee stack. Intent wise, the shards are designed to be limited by ML and the Fist is also limited to one per limb with a stacking Size addition. You can call it you are supposed to stack them, even offer up the excuse that to a normal Human it's Psionic's Greater Mighty Wallop. The contradiction is the FAQ's entries on AC Bonus (same bonus same name, but it's not a bonus?), +1 CL Ioun Stones (doesn't apply extra bonuses in multiples so RC21 applies, but the Fist isn't +1?), and Nightsticks (Sage recommends banning).

You could go with the two entries and say that by intent you're pretty much never meant to stack anything as a precedence and the Fist doesn't actually state an override to that unlike the Armor and that's the contradiction. Is it right? Probably. But theoretically it could just be Sage-banned.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
This sounds ... I have bronchitis and a100.3 fever so I'm very confused. I'd love to add this to the augmentation handbook, but I can't figure it out it. I'm coughing up lung chunks here and it makes it hard to focus.

Any chance you could rewrite this so an idiot, such as myself, could understand it?
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 10:44:17 PM »
Maybe? I tried once in the handbook but it started becoming an even larger mess. :(

A
Added Tail adds a tail (aka a limb).
Requires a high ML.
Add one shard per limb.
=Massive Unarmed Damage.

B
Mantis Leap lets you charge with a successful Jump Check.
So you hop up a dozen times while taking a Full-Run Action.
=Lots of speed equals lots of Full-Attacks.

A has been recently discussed so here is the details on Mantis Leap
(click to show/hide)

C
Minor details like Consumptive Field to increase ML (under full transparency), some Speed increasers, couple misc Unarmed Size increases, and some stuff that gives you some extra attacks when Full-Attacking like Snap Kick & Haste. Essentially this is just the details section used to inflate the numbers produced through A & B.

A + B + C = The Tailed Beast's 58+ quadrillion damage.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:53:21 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline TuggyNE

• Pondering the nature of identity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »
This sounds ... I have bronchitis and a100.3 fever so I'm very confused. I'd love to add this to the augmentation handbook, but I can't figure it out it. I'm coughing up lung chunks here and it makes it hard to focus.

Any chance you could rewrite this so an idiot, such as myself, could understand it?
You know, Capt, this is the most humble I think I've ever seen you. But if it takes bronchitis to get there... not worth it. Get well soon!
Sweet martial OotS-style avatar by Ceika over on GitP.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
You know, Capt, this is the most humble I think I've ever seen you. But if it takes bronchitis to get there... not worth it. Get well soon!

I am very humble. Nobody else is as humble as me. I am the most humble guy you've ever had the privilege of knowing. I am swimming in humble. I once Bitch slapped Ghandi around telling him to stop being such a Troll to the British. The Mother Teresa came to me for humble lessons and I did NOT tap that a*s. The pope would have made me the patron saint of Humble, except he knows I'd never accept it, because, You know, I'm all humble and s**t.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »
Your post is mildly more entertaining if you replace humble with antifungal.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »
Your post is mildly more entertaining if you replace humble with antifungal.

I am considering making that my sig.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »
Actually what the article had to say on infinitely usable items is: "Many spells become world beaters when they're placed in items that work continuously or in items that can be reused over and over again." And anyways, the x2 (minimum, the given  example was more like a x50 multiplier) only applies to spells. Shards are a nonspell effect.

But yeah, the TO board means I shouldn't complain about custom magic items :)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
Actually what the article had to say on infinitely usable items is:
I'm not sure what you're replying to, but you know I'm a stickler to full quotes.

Some Things to Avoid

Keep in mind that the rules and advice in Chapter 7 of the Dungeon Master's Guide are intended to help a reasonable person estimate what an item is worth in play. It's always a mistake to try to create the most powerful item possible for the lowest possible price or vice versa.

When the Formulas Fail: Table 7-33 provides the basic tool for determining item prices and costs, but many items don't fit the table. Many spells in the game work fine as spells, but spells come with built-in limits on their power, and chief among those is the simple fact that a spell is used up when cast and a character has only so many spells available each day. Many spells become world beaters when they're placed in items that work continuously or in items that can be reused over and over again. For example, a ring of invisibility is a command-activated item that duplicates a 2nd-level spell, and its caster level is 3rd (the minimum to cast the spell). According to Table 7-33, such an item has a cost of 2 x 3 x 1,800 gp (spell level x caster x 1,800 gp). So, a ring of invisibility costs 10,800 gp, right? Wrong, it costs nearly twice that much (20,000 gp) because an endless supply of invisibility spells are worth something extra.
The passage you quoted, in full context, is more about infinite duration and it's impact on estimating gold prices for custom items than it is about using your favorite spells multiple times.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 04:20:31 AM »
How do you play a Monk (who must be LG/LN/LE) in the same build as a Barbarian (who can't be these alignments)?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
How do you play a Monk (who must be LG/LN/LE, or chaotic if using dragon) in the same build as a Barbarian (who upon becoming lawful only loses rage and cannot progress barbarian anymore allowing you to keep pounce)?
Pick one, or both.

Edit - Also incorporated a note into the build, sectioned it into spoilers, and got Footsteps of the Divine added for a 1/day total.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:51:47 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 02:50:41 AM »
SorO: I realized that after posting such.  Thankee!

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 03:08:20 AM »
Um. There's a questionable reading that makes the available output for single powers larger. Specifically, this line:

Each additional implanted power link shard you draw on increases the augmentation by an additional 2 power points.

Basically, the reading I'm thinking of is that this line means you get +2 PP to the power for drawing on one, applying to each one drawn on, then you get +2 PP for each one drawn on. As in, each shard past the first gives +4 PP, not +2 PP. So the standard maximum of 20 actually gives +78 PP to the single power.

Shoddy as hell, but there'd be no point to this line if this wasn't the case. If this isn't the proper reading, then the line is unneeded because the assumption of drawing on more shards is that it gives the same benefit anyways. It also makes a bit more sense from a logical perspective, when you are talking short-term powers, because you could split the effect between several powers. It breaks only because of nearly all day buffs being standard Psionic systems.