Author Topic: Ravenloft 3.5 pbp.  (Read 12668 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Ravenloft 3.5 pbp.
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
Grr I'm in Estes park til Friday night
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
Hello,
Modrons are pretty awesome dna1, though somehow I still haven't gotten around to making a modron build yet.

I noticed you said a werewolf could be conceivably allowed, but I'm not sure if you were also talking about the evil alignment. I know as a DM, party in-fighting can be a nightmare, so I wouldn't want to inflict that on you. Can we play evil alignments so long as we're still loyal to the party? I ask of course because I have an evil build in mind.

Also, as 6th level character's, we're starting out with 15,000 XP. 7th level doesn't happen till 21,000 XP. My question is, would you allow us to start with 18,000 XP? I'd like to do LA buy off from UA if possible and still start the game at 6th level. I'm looking at a couple different races right now, ironically they're all things that need your approval:

Variant Kobolds (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)
Diaboli (Dragon Compendium p6)
T'kel (Dragon Magazine 317 p28)
Gruwaars (Dragon Magazine 317 p25 - this was the race of the sorc I played in your game, death by sphere of ultimate destruction)

All these options are for a barbarian build I'm thinking of. I came up with this build because it is probably a more DM-friendly alternative to my preferred build. If you'd allow it, I'd like to play an unseelie fey hexblade, but he would have the effect of seriously reducing monster saves against PC caster spells. Of course, you don't have to allow either of these builds in the final analysis, but as I said the barbarian would probably be less annoying to you. Regarding the hexblade, he's not really playable without at least a little gold. In other words, he could be playable if you continue to keep character wealth one level behind the norm. But if character wealth won't keep up with that, or there's no way to acquire new magic items or new enchantments on old magic items (i.e. the ancestral relic feat), then I wouldn't want to do the hexblade anyways (he needs slippers of battledancing from DMG 2, among other things).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:00:59 PM by professorgear »

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
Oh, and hey, linklord231,
If you do that totemist build, I could totally benefit from a soulmeld magic item, if you're allowed to make them and they even exist - I don't know much about soulmelds. I do know though that the Chaos Roc's Span (Dragon Magazine 350 p87) would be awesome for my kobold character if dna1 lets me play it.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
Oh, and hey, linklord231,
If you do that totemist build, I could totally benefit from a soulmeld magic item, if you're allowed to make them and they even exist - I don't know much about soulmelds. I do know though that the Chaos Roc's Span (Dragon Magazine 350 p87) would be awesome for my kobold character if dna1 lets me play it.

If by "soulmeld magic item" you mean an item that grants the abilities of the soulmeld, then unfortunately I can't.  Soulmelds are kind of like Vestiges from Tome of Magic in that they can't be given away.  However, you could take Shape Soulmeld (Chaos Roc Span) as a feat, which would allow you to gain the basic benefits of the meld.  Then if you want to be able to bind it you can either use one of the Open Chakra spells from MoI, or take the appropriate Open Chakra feat.  You'd still probably need some way of getting essentia though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:04:59 PM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 09:59:12 PM »
Oh darn. That's not really worth it then.

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »
Hello,
Modrons are pretty awesome dna1, though somehow I still haven't gotten around to making a modron build yet.

I noticed you said a werewolf could be conceivably allowed, but I'm not sure if you were also talking about the evil alignment. I know as a DM, party in-fighting can be a nightmare, so I wouldn't want to inflict that on you. Can we play evil alignments so long as we're still loyal to the party? I ask of course because I have an evil build in mind.

Also, as 6th level character's, we're starting out with 15,000 XP. 7th level doesn't happen till 21,000 XP. My question is, would you allow us to start with 18,000 XP? I'd like to do LA buy off from UA if possible and still start the game at 6th level. I'm looking at a couple different races right now, ironically they're all things that need your approval:

Variant Kobolds (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)
Diaboli (Dragon Compendium p6)
T'kel (Dragon Magazine 317 p28)
Gruwaars (Dragon Magazine 317 p25 - this was the race of the sorc I played in your game, death by sphere of ultimate destruction)

All these options are for a barbarian build I'm thinking of. I came up with this build because it is probably a more DM-friendly alternative to my preferred build. If you'd allow it, I'd like to play an unseelie fey hexblade, but he would have the effect of seriously reducing monster saves against PC caster spells. Of course, you don't have to allow either of these builds in the final analysis, but as I said the barbarian would probably be less annoying to you. Regarding the hexblade, he's not really playable without at least a little gold. In other words, he could be playable if you continue to keep character wealth one level behind the norm. But if character wealth won't keep up with that, or there's no way to acquire new magic items or new enchantments on old magic items (i.e. the ancestral relic feat), then I wouldn't want to do the hexblade anyways (he needs slippers of battledancing from DMG 2, among other things).

Sup dude!
 Ok for the Alignment I'm open to pretty much anything. As I mentioned earlier(i forget where), I'm not restricting alignment. But I am mandating that all the players have put aside there differences for the greater sake of staying alive. and trying to get out of ravenloft.

K so for the races
Kobold varients - yes! You know my love of Kobolds  ;)
Diaboli - Yes!
T'kel - No! Sorry.. not feelin this one. I could be talked into it probably, but it would make things very hard on your self and party as far as diplomacy type situations go. Ravenloft is super Xenophobic. These guys sound like Lizard-Men who went to Mardi-Gras or something haha.
Gruwaars - I remember that guy.. should be fine.

Play what ever you like(within reason).. but I've always thought Hexblades were a bit of a waste if not used specifically for PvP.. so I would probably pick something else if I were you.
Magic items will be tricky, there wont be a shortage so to speak.. But there wont be any Magic item shops. Any crafted items will have to be from a player or a befriended NPC etc etc.

Also for LA Buyoff I added that into my updated Rules in the actual Game Thread. Which I've decided not to allow LA buyoff sorry.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:44:03 PM by dna1 »
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »
Post Here  if you want to guys.  Its the OOC thread for my game.

edit: link fixed
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:06:24 PM by dna1 »

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
Cool cool cool. I will do the kobold then with a natural attack rapidstrike build. BTW, what about my level adjustment question? The kobold doesn't have one, but I've been looking at some templates. Did you mean by play whatever you want, that the level adjustment would be ignored?

Also, that link doesn't seem to be working.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:05:06 PM by professorgear »

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
Oh sorry, No LA buyoff. Any LA will just have to come out of the ECL 6.  Like a Feral kobold would be ECL 1.  I thought about giving a free level for templates or doing the LA buyoff but just decided against it hehe. Figured just keep it simpler for my self that way.

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 08:17:43 AM »
That sounds reasonable. Looks like we've switched to the OOC thread.

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
Yea we all moved over to the game thread. Post anymore questions there  :D

WHICH IS HERE
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:36:48 PM by dna1 »

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
Spot has opened, so those that were previously interested but didn't make the cut, now is your chance.

I'm making a new thread about it. Go ahead and post there.