Author Topic: Riverside View  (Read 38541 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Riverside View
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »
Death Sign "Scythe of Final Judgement"'s (9th) Death's Due says "For every 405 HP", rather than GP.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2013, 01:34:46 AM »
The flavor of the mechanism is nice and the design is good, but the numbers, unclear intents and some of the stuff that happens just doesn't work for the level you put them at.

Before I go and make a detailed review of the entire thing, could you try to imagine that I or some other random person made this discipline and that you are now reviewing it to eliminate power creeping, establish clarity and all that stuff you usually do when you review a discipline?

I'll go after and see if there are some things that you missed.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »
Scythe of the Reaper-Changed the duration to 1 round.

Cash Into the Night-clarified that they can't be damaged more than 1/round.

Bound Spirits of the Eart-increased extra damage by Death's due for 3 per payment.

Wind on The Last Journey-Clarified that the enemy's movement still happens.

A Human spirit passing by-clarified that the Death's Due wall of spirits also damages creatures ending their turn inside it.

Scythe of Exorcism-clarified that you choose where the enemy is pushed.

Poor Fate "Short Life Expectancy"-Clarified the Death's Due duration.

Taste of Death-Clarified that you choose the square where they end.

Exchange "Unpitiable, Pitiable Life"-Clarified that it can be initiated if your opponent hurts you in any way, and Death's Due doesn't allow you to ignore death.

Old Rain "Rain in the Afterworld Journey"-Can now affect magical and Su fires.

Scythe of Wandering Spirits-Clarified some  details.

Spirit Sign "Awakening of the Ancient Earthbound Spirits"-Ditto.

Way of Avici "Infinite Nightmare"-As above, also buffed it a bit.

Death Price "Price of Life"-It's -1 penalty for each 5% of missing HP now, can affect undeads.

Money from the Yesterday-Put a 24 hour clause on how long the "debt" can go to prevent you farming some pet ally for weeks and then unleash a gazillion damage.

Hell "Narrow Confines of Avici"-Clarified a bit as well.

Death Sign:Scythe of Final Judgment-added anti coming back clause, increased extra damage if you hit.

Death Sign "Scythe of Final Judgement"'s (9th) Death's Due says "For every 405 HP", rather than GP.

Fixed, thanks!

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
If that is how you do an honest power creeping control of your own maneuvers, I guess you are too determined to break the game as much as possible with this discipline to balance it, so I'll save myself a waste of time and just abuse the discipline without a word. Or perhaps you can try to see what is wrong with it again and buff it even more.

Same with the Yugoloth nonsense. I'm just amazed that I seem to care about Touhou integrity more than you do. Didn't think that was possible considering how little I usually care about things in general.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
Ah now, don't sell yourself so short. Both Divine Flame and Desire Drive show a great deal of love and interest put in from your part. I wish every homebrew discipline out there had at least half the amount of dedication you put in those two.  And I still ask myself where you're geting so many high quality pics.

As for power creep, I've been known to have an hard time noticing it when it's my material. For example it wasn't until you started abusing the hell out of the Half-Golem that I noticed several problematic materials. Now it's your turn to decide whetever you point them out here so I can nerf them ahead of time, or I nerf them after you pull them off during gameplay (trivia: one of the main reasons I DM is to playtest my own homebrew, both in the player's  and enemy's side :p )

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »
I dunno but one of the most annoying things I can imagine so far with this discipline is simply how quickly you can and will flood the battlefield with spirits that all last 7 rounds and with different groups of them on different timers. Getting rid of them requires recovering the specific maneuver that made them and then using it again to explode the associated spirits but then most of those same maneuvers have the clause of "in addition to the maneuvers normal effects" which will then just recreate those spirits on the field on a new timer in new positions that can't overlap with existing spirits already on the field from your other maneuvers. Plus some of these spirits can move or be moved, some do damage, some heal creatures that move into their space, some provide cover or concealment and some don't, some count at hard terrain and some don't, some can even trip opponents; you'd have to keep track of all of this.

Basically, this discipline is a ridiculous amount of book keeping between that and keeping track of all the money you're spending on it that couldn't be played in an offline environment. It'd bring a game at a table to a standstill.

Well, I'm noticing the only quick and easy way to clear up such a mess isn't until an 8th level maneuver too. Death Song "Ferriage in the Deep Fog" which converges all currently popped spirits onto the target and explodes them. But then that is only the ones that end up directly adjacent to the enemy and if you spammed maneuvers before using this one then you better have been keeping track of which spirits are from which maneuver because now you gotta assign debuffs accordingly :p
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:35:06 AM by ketaro »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »
I don't feel about them that way.  :-\
I like to write and think so making them was a pleasant exercise. Now that they are done I've no more writing and thinking to do with them so I don't really care about what happens to them anymore.

As to the pictures, in case it might help, I find the best ones on Zerochan. After making a big sweep to find anything that might fit, I make a google search and look for pictures I've not seen on that site and make targeted similar-pic searches with them. Then I look on youtube for theme music videos that features whichever character I'm looking for; there usually are pictures there that you don't find anywhere else. I print-screen the video and crop the image.
Usually I resize them so they don't take too much space and tweak them a bit when I feel some details aren't done well enough. Mostly adjusting brightness and making some colors stronger. And contrast when I resize.

As for power creep... well... I guess I can try to wrap myself around it all.
Today I've too much work to carefully think on how to explain things and I can't afford to let myself be too distracted and I'm not sure about the weekend but I'll try to get something done before too long.
If that helps some of the maneuvers do similar things to other maneuvers you've already done, but do it at a lesser maneuver level, and sometimes with a bonus. Another recurring thing is that many of the maneuvers seem so strong by themselves they don't need a Death's Due effect. Another thing I notice is that some stances seem to have a strike maneuver integrated into them, so you basically get a stance and an automatically recovered strike on top.
Another thing that might help you notice problems is, like ketaro mentioned, how some of the maneuvers really ain't user friendly; a lot of book keeping, a lot of time spent calculating, insane map figuring-the-area-of-effect and a lot of 'how does this work in this situation?' inevitable scenarios. It gets mind-boggling.

Oh, I'll at least mention that one: Way of Avici "Infinite Nightmare.
I cannot believe that you are not aware that damage multipliers are the mother of abuse. It cannot work.
You don't even have to try to abuse it, it does all the work by itself.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:34:34 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »
Spirit Spam
Yeah, I guess it may be somewhat too complicated right now. It's a key part of her SWR strategy, flooding the field with slow spirits, but then you have a comp to make the calculations for you.

One way of solving this may be to standardize all spirits. Then spirit-creating maneuvers would produce extra effects to those near those spirits for that turn only, so you don't have to keep track of what each spirit is doing, just that is there. Will have to rewrite a lot of stuff but probably worth it. How does that sound?

I don't feel about them that way.  :-\
I like to write and think so making them was a pleasant exercise. Now that they are done I've no more writing and thinking to do with them so I don't really care about what happens to them anymore.
Yet whenever someone posted a question in Divine Flame out of nowhere you were there to provide an helpful reply and even tweak as needed. That alone is more dedication than a lot of other homebrew writers out there that don't reply at all when somebody posts a question some months after that piece had been "finished". :p

As to the pictures, in case it might help, I find the best ones on Zerochan. After making a big sweep to find anything that might fit, I make a google search and look for pictures I've not seen on that site and make targeted similar-pic searches with them. Then I look on youtube for theme music videos that features whichever character I'm looking for; there usually are pictures there that you don't find anywhere else. I print-screen the video and crop the image.
Usually I resize them so they don't take too much space and tweak them a bit when I feel some details aren't done well enough. Mostly adjusting brightness and making some colors stronger. And contrast when I resize.
See, I just go on danbooru and google images and some photobucket and then just post them like that whitout any tweaking. That you take you take so much effort justwith the illustrations goes to further show your dedication.

As for power creep... well... I guess I can try to wrap myself around it all.
Today I've too much work to carefully think on how to explain things and I can't afford to let myself be too distracted and I'm not sure about the weekend but I'll try to get something done before too long.
If that helps some of the maneuvers do similar things to other maneuvers you've already done, but do it at a lesser maneuver level, and sometimes with a bonus. Another recurring thing is that many of the maneuvers seem so strong by themselves they don't need a Death's Due effect. Another thing I notice is that some stances seem to have a strike maneuver integrated into them, so you basically get a stance and an automatically recovered strike on top.
One thing I would point out first is that, unlike most other schools here, most of Komachi's strikes are melee-only, plus she usually is only geting one attack per target, except when she goes spirit spamming.

Another thing that might help you notice problems is, like ketaro mentioned, how some of the maneuvers really ain't user friendly; a lot of book keeping, a lot of time spent calculating, insane map figuring-the-area-of-effect and a lot of 'how does this work in this situation?' inevitable scenarios. It gets mind-boggling.

Oh, I'll at least mention that one: Way of Avici "Infinite Nightmare.
I cannot believe that you are not aware that damage multipliers are the mother of abuse. It cannot work.
You don't even have to try to abuse it, it does all the work by itself.
Well, if nothing else the stance's name seems to be an apropriate fit. :P

(gonna replace it by a flat damage bonus I guess)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
Ok, spirit maneuvers standardized, now their duration and effect is always the same regardless of how many spirits you create. Also nerfed Way of Avici "Infinite Nightmare".
Death Sign"Scythe of Final Judgment" now deals less damage, but you can attempt to accuse the other guy even if you miss.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:47:41 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
See, when you point it out in detail, I can notice stuff better. :p
(click to show/hide)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:02 AM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:48:57 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:45:42 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »
-Other creatures inside take 3 damage at the start of your turn, to a minimum of 1 HP, can be chosen multiple times, stacks.
Is the damage meant to be untyped? Mentioning that it deals minimum 1 Hp implies it might be reduced, but the absence of a damage type makes it unclear as to how it is supposed to be reduced.
It isn't supposed to be reduced.
...Then why mention the minimum of 1 HP if it cannot be reduced?

He's saying that the maneuver does 3 auto damage a round but can not reduce a foe to less than 1 HP, meaning you can not kill some one with the automatic, non-reducible 3 points of damage.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
Ah, that'd make sense. It cannot reduce a creature below 1 hit point.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2013, 02:44:42 AM »
Death's Due
* I don't believe the formula is printed anywhere ...

Fallen and Ruined Shinigami
* How long does this death's due money stay with you?  1 day?  Indefinitely?
* "earn extra money equal to 50% of that creature's material possessions they had on their person at the time of their death " - really quite a lot, although I'm sort of ok with always being about to max death's due, if you've invested 2 feats

Tip of Death
* I like the idea of low level abilities scaling so ... how about at 15 ranks, you can ignore all types of miss chance and at 19 ranks this is a touch attack?

The Endless Way
* Amazingly Cool
* If used with a few allies, you get a lot of free movement each round ...
* I'd make this more than 3rd level ... very powerful ability

Ties With the Deceased
* Multiple use is nice
* "for each 80 GP you spend you can ask an extra question, the DC increases by 1, and you get the answers regardless of the state of the corpse." --> I assume this means that after the first 80gp, state of corpse doesn't matter?

Exchange "Unpitiable, Pitiable Life"
* Cool.  Offensive, but pre-combat, use it with a summoned creature as a buff.  I like it.

Soul Sign
* I'd specify that they can be teleported from 0 to 5'*points lost save, so you can place them.

Spirits of the Firm
* Death's Due should be a little stronger, I think.

Hell "Narrow Confines of Avici"
* I like it

Death Song "Ferriage in the Deep Fog"
* Can be more powerful.  It is an 8th level effect, a full round action, and uses all spirits you've made.  It deserves some strength

Very Best
David

P.S.  Thanks to Anomander for a clarification ... feedback updated.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:43:57 AM by DavidWL »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2013, 03:15:59 AM »
@David: I think you should read how Death's Due works again. From what you wrote, it is pretty clear that you didn't get it.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:20:02 AM by Anomander »

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2013, 03:18:54 AM »
@David: I think you should read how Death's Due works again. From what you wrote, it is pretty clear that you didn't get it.

In his example, he says: "So for example if you use Tip for the Dead and have 10 IL, you could spend up to 25 GP."

Tip of Death = Level 1
IL = 10

My sample formula = 5gp * maneuver level * IL/2 = 5 * 1 * 10/2 = 25.  Seems consistent to me.  What am I missing?

Best,
David

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2013, 03:20:18 AM »
If it can help you, I'll correct one of your examples:
Taste of Death
* Level 8 --> Max Death's due = 4*4*5 = 80. pull 2 creatures to you, deal normal damage +5
Max DD at level 8 would be 80*4. Pulling 5 creatures (1 base+4 from DD), deal normal damage +20 (5x4)

Edit: Oh, if you are looking for the actual DD formula, it is; 5gp*(level of the maneuver)²
To max it, multiply that by half your initiator level.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:27:54 AM by Anomander »