Author Topic: [3.5]The Other Half campaign replacement recruitment  (Read 76160 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5]The Other Half campaign replacement recruitment
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
Make it a Druidic Dodecahedron instead. :D

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »
Probably, usually I forego wildshape. Why?

Then we'd need ten other members... Lol

Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »
Probably, usually I forego wildshape. Why?
I was just thinkin' about the party role that implies. Huh. I would have thought you'd want to keep the wildshape if you're gonna be more melee oriented.

I think it's mostly about our invocation / spell selection. And maybe also which companions we choose.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
Hadn't really thought about my role in combat too much. Maybe I'll keep wildshape after all. The example character was one I had stated up to be the druidic equivelent of a hordeficer. I could always go buff-> wildshape w/ enhanced quarterstaff route. Looks interesting and less used than "I am BEAR, this is my pet BEAR, we CLAW YOUR FACE OFF".

What areas will your invocations cover/ which were you looking at taking? Id pick my spells to cover what yours don't.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »
Well, presumably you'd want more buffage, so I could go more BFC/utility. Just as a quick first glance, maybe something like this:

4 Seedling
  • Endure Elements
  • Entangle
  • Fog Cloud
  • Woodworking (counts as both Warp Wood and Wood Shape)
3 Annual
  • Green Thumb (counts as both Diminish Plants and Plant Growth)
  • Stone Shape
  • Wall of Ice
2 Biennial
  • Panacea
  • Either Enlarge/Reduce Animal (works as either) or Transmute Mud/Rock (works in both directions)

If I take the Herbal Supplement Natural Essence, I can do 7d4 of healing as a standard action at will, potentially to multiple targets / in an area if combined with a Topiary.

How does that look? This could also change depending on what the rest of the party does, and also if Osle says that one or more of these would be completely useless.

EDIT: Another way to go would be for me to do buffs and bfc, since we'll want that more often, and then you can diversify for utility stuff?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:23:06 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 12:32:50 AM »
However you'd like to do so. And I'm viewing all of this as pending any ruling or decisions made after the post the idea is presented in.

I wouldn't object to a roll of buffing at all. I was actually just looking at that. Should keep us off of each others toes. I'll try and come up with a list of common spells for my druid after I get some sleep. Any ideas on your character's backstory? Asking to see how the characters would have interacted in the past and how familiar they are with each other.

Edit: I have no problem either way. I can be mostly utiliy in my day to day actions if you'd prefer to buff. During combat, I can always play fill the gap without needing to always play the same role. If we need more buffing, battlefield control, or just a tank to rip something to shreads, i should be able to pull it off for a while. Think of it like a druidic version of factotum.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:50:49 AM by geniussavant »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 01:06:44 AM »
I'm planning on doing a Illithid brain-eating grappler; hopefully with Giant Size, or a dorje of Expansion, or something; maybe Babau Slime, Balor Nimbus, Bladeweave, Polymorph... not sure. High UMD + wands of things I need, likely. Or maybe just wondrous items for it...

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 05:01:58 AM »
Quite a bit of posts over the night, let me know if I miss something.

Sounds interesting

is planescape stuff allowed, its 3.x licensed.

3.x licensed doesn't mean quality design, and that site uses a strange format that makes it hard to actually acess the material. Mind copy-pasting the bits you were interested in?

Hello there. I have a silly idea involving Kythons, ninja scarves, Alchemy, and sneakiness.

That is to say, Kython 5/Kython Viscerator 5/Swordsage 4. Using Prime's Open Jaws and the Mystical Rain discipline.
I don't allow "rushes", but everything else looks ok.

How does that look? This could also change depending on what the rest of the party does, and also if Osle says that one or more of these would be completely useless.

I should point out that most battlefields the party has fought on so far have little if no vegetation (snow mountain, urban, desert, Sigil, mechanus out of the top of my head). So anything that demands plants already in place probably won't be very useful. Also expect for your opponents to have some sort of counter-measures of their own, like teleports, dispels, IHS, freedom of movement, or other stuff (not all at the same time of course).

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
How silly are we being with IHS?

Edit: to be more specific, what kind of thing can they just turn off, can you use it f you can't move, and can you IHS area effects, like an Antimagic field?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
How do you feel about the following animal companions (in order of preference): Fleshraker Dino, Dire Tortoise, Magebred Ghost Tiger?

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:52 PM »
What are your thoughts concerning animals using items? E.g. apes using quarterstaff

How about druid's need for familiarity for wildshape?

@fireinthesky: how do you want to handle our backgrounds?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
I'm bowing out of consideration, maybe next time.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 05:35:45 AM »
How silly are we being with IHS?

Edit: to be more specific, what kind of thing can they just turn off, can you use it f you can't move, and can you IHS area effects, like an Antimagic field?
-You can't use it if you can't move properly (grappled, paralyzed, dominated, stunned, dazed, etc). Always need to be able to take a standard action.
-You can IHS area effects. The party has used it in Silence effects, enemies have used it in Black Tentacles for example.

How do you feel about the following animal companions (in order of preference): Fleshraker Dino, Dire Tortoise, Magebred Ghost Tiger?
Fleshraker ok. Dire Tortoise isn't a valid animal companion option as far as I'm aware. Eberron campaign setting page 37 explicitly states that druids cannot take magebred animal companions. As for ghost animal companions, the only way I see you could get it would be with the ghost companion spell from Ghostwalk, which naturalists don't get and has a limited duration. But again the party's wizard worships Pelor and isn't very much into undeads or body desecrating.

What are your thoughts concerning animals using items? E.g. apes using quarterstaff
Animals with hands is ok wielding weapons, altough actual animals won't have simple weapon proficiency. Wildshaped druid would work.

How about druid's need for familiarity for wildshape?
Everything on summon's nature ally plus your possible valid animal companions is considered familiar. Anything else, you'll have to take a little sidequest to find a specimen.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
Fleshraker ok. Dire Tortoise isn't a valid animal companion option as far as I'm aware. Eberron campaign setting page 37 explicitly states that druids cannot take magebred animal companions. As for ghost animal companions, the only way I see you could get it would be with the ghost companion spell from Ghostwalk, which naturalists don't get and has a limited duration. But again the party's wizard worships Pelor and isn't very much into undeads or body desecrating.

Dire tortoise was allowed as an animal companion in Sandstorm. In Eberron's Five Nations book, it explicitly allows the magebred ghost tiger. Iirc ghost was a descriptor not a type, and it retained a physical presence.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »
Any roles other than healing the Kython could fill? Stealth or Skill Monkey perhaps?
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
A skill/stealth monkey would be useful, as the party's sorely lacking on the subtelty department (altough they make up for it with sheer melee damage , mobility and area effects).

Dire tortoise was allowed as an animal companion in Sandstorm. In Eberron's Five Nations book, it explicitly allows the magebred ghost tiger. Iirc ghost was a descriptor not a type, and it retained a physical presence.
Dire tortoise allowed then. However it won't benefit from the shared initiative rule I use for my campaigns (aka it won't grant suprise rounds to the rest of the party).

As for magebred animal companions, there's two directly conflicting rules. So I'll rule that the one from the main campaign book takes priority.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
What kind of quest would I need to undertake for wildshape familiarity with legendary ape from mm2?

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
Osc; do Mind Flayers get more tentacles from Multi-Headed, because the tentacles come from their face...

Also, Monster of Legend's Saga that gives maneuvers says they cannot be used more than once per encounter, but then says they are recovered whenever all four are expended. What? Being an idiot. Ignore me.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:21:21 PM by Gazzien »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »
That's something that exists for all martial initiator classes, usually in the 'maneuvers readied' text. Maneuvers Can be used once per encounter, unless you recover that one use in which case it may be used again, as though you hadn't used your one per encounter.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »
That's something that exists for all martial initiator classes, usually in the 'maneuvers readied' text. Maneuvers Can be used once per encounter, unless you recover that one use in which case it may be used again, as though you hadn't used your one per encounter.
Oh god, now I feel like an idiot. I completely forgot that little line of text.