Author Topic: The conversation that is not by the fictional people (OOC)  (Read 27156 times)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: The conversation that is not by the fictional people (OOC)
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2014, 10:36:04 AM »
Qoden's the only one still needing background, right? How goes it? Need any ideas?

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
Shadow captured within glass has many uses to other crafters and practitioners of Magic, for ghost-touch armor and weapons, and other makings and castings. And that is the true secret of CaraVela’s visit on this particular day, not just as a tourist, but to obtain from the glassmaster some carefully packed flasks of Shadowstuff for a lowlands buyer.

Sun, Moon, Shadow, each of them representing the three aspects of the Equinox eclipse.
Whether or not it ends up happening, that's pretty clever

Quill - To help resolve whether it can happen, here are some suggestions:

Apparently the idea of bottling Shadow can work, though the application in this example is different from the one I suggested for the glass master at the lake.

One requirement to enable the glass master’s flask to bottle Shadow could be that it has a property for Shadow equivalent to the SRD Ghost Touch property, which requires CL9 and Plane Shift – which could give the flask a Planar attunement to Shadow. I would think that the glass master would be L9 at least, anyway, if he’s that good at his craft.

In D&D4E the Shadowfell, where the Shadow bottling metal is mined, is itself the equivalent of the Plane of Shadow. So it may be that the glass master can only make Shadow bottling glass twice a year during the six minutes of the Eclipse, when Shadow falls across the lake. Perhaps the glass master makes the flasks by casting a Plane Shift into the furnace, pouring hot glass into a mold made of Force Sculpture to allow many to be made at once, and an assistant uses Magic to cool them (that’s the easy part); then the glass master Dispels the Force mold and other assistants quickly use the flasks to bottle the ambient Shadow present at that time, perhaps by closing a metal, stone, or wooden stopper onto the mouth of the flask by a L1 Hold Portal spell from previously prepared Wands for efficiency. Then lesser assistants wrap and pack the bottles securely so that the process is not slowed down by that task. Like his assistants, the glass master can repeat his part in the process quickly by similarly using items to store spells prepared in advance for the day; the Force Sculptures, for example, last long enough that the molds could even be set up in advance an hour or so ahead of time.

So it may be that the glass master is also on the boat out in the middle of the lake to maximize his crafting time, with a magically heated glass furnace and a small group of assistants, one of which might even be CaraVela, helping the glass master’s team to wrap and pack in exchange for the goods she is taking downriver.

If you like this idea, it’s a way for you resolve allowing it to be done.

What does the riverboat look like? Riverboats are usually shallow-draft, and if they are intended for cargo as well as passengers, they are broad-decked as well. With cargo, they need sail power, especially to go upriver; poling would be hard, and rowing not easy either. A large square sail was a common design, even from Roman times. The ancient Egyptian riverboats of the Pharaohs even had multiple decks with different purposes, staterooms, and canopied areas.

With Magic, a windmage could earn a nice portion of the trade by keeping the sail taut in the direction the ship needed to go; the role of oars and poles as backup measures for doldrum days would be much less needed.

Here is what the river traffic might look like, for ships that ply the river shoreline. We could be on the large one toward the left of the picture.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
I actually just meant if it works with the other players' ideas; 'tis fine by me, IIRC.

One requirement to enable the glass master’s flask to bottle Shadow could be that it has a property for Shadow equivalent to the SRD Ghost Touch property, which requires CL9 and Plane Shift – which could give the flask a Planar attunement to Shadow. I would think that the glass master would be L9 at least, anyway, if he’s that good at his craft.
Makes sense.

In D&D4E the Shadowfell, where the Shadow bottling metal is mined, is itself the equivalent of the Plane of Shadow. So it may be that the glass master can only make Shadow bottling glass twice a year during the six minutes of the Eclipse, when Shadow falls across the lake. Perhaps the glass master makes the flasks by casting a Plane Shift into the furnace, pouring hot glass into a mold made of Force Sculpture to allow many to be made at once, and an assistant uses Magic to cool them (that’s the easy part); then the glass master Dispels the Force mold and other assistants quickly use the flasks to bottle the ambient Shadow present at that time, perhaps by closing a metal, stone, or wooden stopper onto the mouth of the flask by a L1 Hold Portal spell from previously prepared Wands for efficiency. Then lesser assistants wrap and pack the bottles securely so that the process is not slowed down by that task. Like his assistants, the glass master can repeat his part in the process quickly by similarly using items to store spells prepared in advance for the day; the Force Sculptures, for example, last long enough that the molds could even be set up in advance an hour or so ahead of time.

So it may be that the glass master is also on the boat out in the middle of the lake to maximize his crafting time, with a magically heated glass furnace and a small group of assistants, one of which might even be CaraVela, helping the glass master’s team to wrap and pack in exchange for the goods she is taking downriver.
I'm getting the idea you might be a better DM than me  :D

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2014, 04:18:19 AM »
I actually just meant if it works with the other players' ideas; 'tis fine by me, IIRC.

EDIT: added about "icy lake" below

I think we’ve got general agreement from Zook & Nanshork who said they were ok with it, so… I guess we’ve met. Friz headed east and Kirnon was there already, so they met at the lake. CaraVela sailed upriver, made arrangements with the Glasscrafter to assist in exchange for some Shadow bottles, and joined the expedition out onto the lake during the equinox eclipse.

Markus could have been on that boat too, the first boat after the spring thaw on an icy upland lake, not a bad place for an Ice Paragenasi.

So could Qoden, he’s an ex-monastery character too, at least in a prior incarnation. More on this below.

So all five of us meet in passing, our threads tangle, and we find ourselves together for a week or two on the ride downriver to the lowland cities. At some point CaraVela drops off the shipment of Shadow bottles, saving the extras herself for some other future customer.

Most of us aren’t very talkative about ourselves; it seems we all have some odd things about us. But that makes us kindred spirits in our silences. Besides, when the inevitably perennial river pirates show up, we get to find out it’s handy to have the 5 of us around.

Quill, where it goes from there is up to you. We could play out some of that initial storyline, or suddenly be wherever we were supposed to start, or…?

Markus, Qoden, Friz, Kirnon, CaraVela. That’s everyone.

I'm getting the idea you might be a better DM than me  :D

Thanks! But it’s a collaborative effort; I’m just enjoying creating some things inside the framework of the world you created...

So.....

I think Quill has been waiting for Qoden’s background.

In a side conversation I had with FITS, he’s been buried in work lately, crazy hours. He and I PMed a little about a possible quick rewrite of his previous incarnation’s background to fit Qoden into this game.

Either way, I’m up for starting somewhere, even if it’s still technically some pre-game plot line.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:59:43 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
So all five of us meet in passing, our threads tangle, and we find ourselves together for a week or two on the ride downriver to the lowland cities. At some point CaraVela drops off the shipment of Shadow bottles, saving the extras herself for some other future customer.

Most of us aren’t very talkative about ourselves; it seems we all have some odd things about us. But that makes us kindred spirits in our silences. Besides, when the inevitably perennial river pirates show up, we get to find out it’s handy to have the 5 of us around.

Quill, where it goes from there is up to you. We could play out some of that initial storyline, or suddenly be wherever we were supposed to start, or…?
I did have an idea for a starting point, though it'll have to be revised to accommodate your characters' situation beforehand. Actually, that gives me a few ideas...

So.....

I think Quill has been waiting for Qoden’s background.

In a side conversation I had with FITS, he’s been buried in work lately, crazy hours. He and I PMed a little about a possible quick rewrite of his previous incarnation’s background to fit Qoden into this game.

Either way, I’m up for starting somewhere, even if it’s still technically some pre-game plot line.
The premise would allow for a character to join a little later than the rest, if that's help.
How about I post the intro when it's ready, and we see what y'all think?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »
Sorry, life's gotten really busy recently and I won't be able to start this game.

I'm sorry for any problems this causes.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2014, 11:02:35 PM »
We all understand... It starts when it starts :)
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:39 AM »
Sorry, life's gotten really busy recently and I won't be able to start this game.

I'm sorry for any problems this causes.

Alas, Kirnon has left us as a PC. (All the best to you, Nanshork – Kirnon was a very cool concept.) The plot line is still intact, though (Kirnon is much too cool of a character to wipe his influence from the world… IMHO).

So we’re left with pretty much the same situation as before, sailing out of the thawing lake in southern Eastwood, just after the spring equinox eclipse, going downriver to the lowland cities by the sea… to Ileoja in Vassar, I think. Perhaps Kirnon is on board as an NPC, perhaps not. Either way, our interaction with Kirnon after this point – if any – is as Quill sees fit, whatever it may be.

On board are Friz and CaraVela. If they like, so are Qoden and Markus, for whom there are easy rationales as to why and how they would be there.

A short note on Qoden’s background, which I think Quill was waiting for. I have a very easy solution for Quill and FITS, no work for either of you: Qoden’s existing background (see the Background spoiler there) can be used as-is, the ending of his young life. You can treat it as his beginning point in this game. From that point, Quill can bridge Qoden into this game with an intro of two quick paragraphs that depend only on a willing NPC in Quill’s game, easy to justify (especially in a world of Portals). It even can place Qoden conveniently in the same boat as the rest of us, if you like.
(click to show/hide)

If you approve of this, Quill, that would make all of us ready to start together, on the boat or wherever else you’d like to put us.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »
I fully give permission for Kirnon to be used as an NPC if Quill wants to.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
Sorry I vanished. Goodbye, Nanshork.  :-\
On the positive side, I do have an intro very nearly done, so we can perhaps start shortly.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2014, 01:50:43 AM »
WOO HOO!!  :clap  :clap  :clap

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »
thank Pelor's holiest of holy light :-p

- All Spells
- playground

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
thank Pelor's holiest of holy light :-p

::likes::

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2014, 04:52:39 AM »
Since some days went by after Quill posted, and no one else posted, I figured I would post again. Feel free to jump in, anyone!

…but oops, forgot and posted as MM rather than as CaraVela herself - and I even cut off some of the post, so I posted the first part second. Sorry on both counts, CaraVela :D

It’s really different and much more immediate, writing a post in the first person instead of in the third person as usual.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:00:28 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline CaraVela

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2014, 05:16:32 AM »

The chiding I *will* do is this: MM should keep off my posts, especially if MM can’t get them straight.

Then I’ll stay over on the other thread, as long as MM stays on this thread.

It’s too weird here anyway talking with you people directly, and my “Locate Portal” is constantly buzzing, on this thread.

See you in *reality* :P . Come join me!

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2014, 02:29:52 AM »
i'm dealing with probably depression and need some time to get things together. i'm pulling out of all my games. sry about this
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that! I hope it all gets better sometime soon. Goodbye, zook1shoe. :-\

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2014, 12:59:30 AM »
Zook – Sorry to see you go. My wish for you is to find your way out of depression soon – depression just makes it hard to see how things are better than they seem, so get some help, friends or whoever can help you get some perspective. Don’t sit with it, I know people who did.

And on a more trivial note but still worth saying, Friz is a cool character. If you find your way back to playing, I’d be happy to see you.

Quill – We’re down a few players at this point. Do you think it would bring some energy to the game to open it up and recruit two or three or four fresh players? Now you know where you’re going to drop them (and the rest of us) in, so the game could re-start quicker than it started originally.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
Quill – We’re down a few players at this point. Do you think it would bring some energy to the game to open it up and recruit two or three or four fresh players? Now you know where you’re going to drop them (and the rest of us) in, so the game could re-start quicker than it started originally.
I was thinking along those lines, yes