Author Topic: Any games in which...  (Read 2565 times)

Offline jameswilliamogle

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Any games in which...
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »
...the players are not the main protagonists? 

I'm talking about playing as one of the shopkeepers in Savage Tides in the vrock part or as a side party ancillary to the main event in age of worms.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Any games in which...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
It would be pretty much impossible to have a game where the players aren't the protagonists by the very definition of protagonist. The story and action follows what they do; it's not as if you're focusing attention on somebody else. :rolleyes

If you mean hero instead, that's pretty much a certainty.

Offline jameswilliamogle

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
Hero/ whatevs.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
I once played in a game where rather than adventurers, the party was made up of people collecting all the obscure spell components that wizards always have in their spell component pouches, in the employ of a magic shop. All the little, weird arcane things. It was a fun twist.

Offline jameswilliamogle

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Sounds fun!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
Now that depends how you define 'main event'.

The Low-End Phantasy Star game might be, seeing as it's taking place concurrently with the High-End game (and the difference is huge--one has a war hero, nuclear dragon, and this... legendary android... thingy; the other has a bunch of characters who haven't done all that much before and basically have a junk ship) and focusing more on cleaning up some mess than any major problems.

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
I ran a game where the players were just spys/pawns of two rival npc's. It didn't really have a plot pertaining to the players, the game turned into more of a social game. Players ended up choosing sides and using a lot of subterfuge. Everyone was trying to gain favor with a different NPC.
Haha one session we literally spent like 2 hours sending notes back and forth because all the players were spying on each other.

We ended up calling that the Spy vs Spy game. It actually played out a lot like game of thrones. It was super fun. One of my groups favorites by far.
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.

Offline PsyBomb

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
Playing as any non-Space Marine human in the 40k games probably counts. The difference between even the most accomplished players there and an Adeptus Astarte is unbelievable, between them and the least of the Chaos Daemons is just as bad.