Author Topic: Fun Finds the 2nd Party Edition  (Read 115546 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds the 2nd Party Edition
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 05:48:08 AM »
So the Conductive property from Pathfinder ultimate equipment is interesting in 3.5...

Conductive
(click to show/hide)

For instance, Am I crazy or would this ability on ammunition allow a Warlock to strike at range multiple times in a round with Eldritch blast? I know there are plenty of uses for this in 3.5 that could be fun, any thoughts?

Unfortunately no, since it has the 1/round limit.  It does however make the Hideous Blow shape absolutely useless (not that it wasn't before). 
How would this interact with some of the Su Swordsage maneuvers?  You technically have "unlimited" uses, but you never have 2 uses of the same ability to expend at the same time. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
Note on of Curse of the Magi, BoVD's alternative Curses allows you to use Greater Bestow Curse to prohibit someone from casting any Spell, it includes SLAs and Spell Trigger/Completion Items. Works equally well on Divine Spellcasters.

If you rob PrC Spell Lists, it's only a 3rd level Spell too.

Offline deadkitten

• It's so fluffy you are gonna die... Horribly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
So the Conductive property from Pathfinder ultimate equipment is interesting in 3.5...

Conductive
(click to show/hide)

For instance, Am I crazy or would this ability on ammunition allow a Warlock to strike at range multiple times in a round with Eldritch blast? I know there are plenty of uses for this in 3.5 that could be fun, any thoughts?

Unfortunately no, since it has the 1/round limit.  It does however make the Hideous Blow shape absolutely useless (not that it wasn't before). 
How would this interact with some of the Su Swordsage maneuvers?  You technically have "unlimited" uses, but you never have 2 uses of the same ability to expend at the same time.

Yes but if the ability is enchanted on the Arrows instead of the Bow dont they count as seperate weapons with the same enchantment and thus you could use multiple in the same round?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »
Certain properties are bestowed upon the ammunition when fired from a ranged bow, but you cannot apply the same special ability twice.

Also, the exact text - "This weapon special ability can only be used once per round" - is a hard cap on the ability it's self, not usage of any weapon(s).

Offline deadkitten

• It's so fluffy you are gonna die... Horribly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
Certain properties are bestowed upon the ammunition when fired from a ranged bow, but you cannot apply the same special ability twice.

Also, the exact text - "This weapon special ability can only be used once per round" - is a hard cap on the ability it's self, not usage of any weapon(s).

Ahh, alrighty then. I just thought that if you enchanted the arrows separately then they are different weapons with the same enchantment and it would override that sentence in the ability since I thought it only mattered to the weapon being used. similar to wielding two conductive weapons. 

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
Wow, those Arcane Staff Spells are some of the best downtime spells I've seen in a long time. Spend a month of downtime getting the ability to nova over a hundred of your favorite 7th level or lower slots (assuming Sanctum Spell) or toss together all those knocks that your wizard would have to get a wand for otherwise. Very awesome.

EDIT: Or hell, a StPE.

EDIT2: Best for a Sha'ir though!
Except for that line that says you can only have one at a time.

Wow, amazing what a failed spot check can get you. On the other hand, I'm halfway through a Sha'ir build now.
Its basically Spellstaff from the PHB.  Only it trades power for versatility.  And is for Wizard, not Druids.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »
Strahd's Baneful Attractor
Transmutation
Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 feet +5 feet/2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 2 rounds/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell transforms the target into a lodestone for magical energies, causing spells to veer towards her.  Any spell targeted at a creature within 15 feet of the subject of Strahd's Baneful Attractor actually targets the latter creature.  If the target of Strahd's Baneful Attractor is not a valid target for the redirected spell-for example, if she is out of the spell's range or not the appropriate creature type-the spell is not redirected.  If more than one creature within 15 feet is affected by a spell, only the creature closest to the subject of Strahd's Baneful Attractor is spared.  If more than one creature is an equal distance from the subject, choose the spared creature randomly.  Strahd's Baneful Attractor has no effect on area of effect spells.

Material Components: Some bits of broken glass.

Source: Ravenloft Gazetteer I.

I can't copy-paste, and I'm too lazy to type this out in full, so have some pictures:

Source: Ravenloft Gazetteer I.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:03:09 PM by Libertad »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 01:20:10 AM »
Some of these feats are obscenely OP!

soul of green walls, potent blood, and blessing of the stars are the worst offenders, but three additional leadership-like feats are insane too.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:54:25 AM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 01:56:24 AM »

soul of green walls, potent blood, and blessing of the stars are the worst offenders, but three additional leadership-like feats are insane too.

(click to show/hide)

Potent blood is OP? So those warmages that get it for free are incredibly broken right?  :huh

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »
Int bonus to magic missiles or even the lowly acid splash can deal better damage.
these are simple, but powerful uses of this feat at low levels (which where this can be very powerful)

yes I admit, its not as bad as when I first read it, but for low levels, it can be nasty.

fixed it
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:54:44 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Lo77o

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Just had a look at most of these books, and none of the ones i looked in were licensed by wotc... So how is it 2nd party and not 3rd?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
Note on of Curse of the Magi, BoVD's alternative Curses allows you to use Greater Bestow Curse to prohibit someone from casting any Spell, it includes SLAs and Spell Trigger/Completion Items. Works equally well on Divine Spellcasters.

If you rob PrC Spell Lists, it's only a 3rd level Spell too.

Wow really ?!
I gotta get my BoVD out of deep storage for that one.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »
On the credits page, they say they are produced under license.

you were prob confused since they didn't have the officially licensed logo.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Tohron

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »
Way of the Ninja
- Killing Blow kills a foe instantly if you sneak attack them to 5 or less hp.

So would this let you kill the Tarrasque without needing a Wish scroll?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
Nope it won't. Auto-kill effects only renders it to -10 and the Big T's Regeneration is pretty explicit, it can only be slain using Wish or Miracle.

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »
Nope it won't. Auto-kill effects only renders it to -10 and the Big T's Regeneration is pretty explicit, it can only be slain using Wish or Miracle.

And of course Hostile Empathic Transfer.
You cannot use this power to gain hit points in excess of your full normal total. The transferred damage is empathic in nature, so powers and abilities the subject may have such as damage reduction and regeneration do not lessen or change this damage.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
Nope, reread it. Even at -74,835,386HP the Big T remains alive and kicking. Even if you dealt it lethal damage (such as trollbane) into negatives it isn't slain until you smack it with Wish or Miracle.

If you want an alternative kill, you switch mind with it (thereby removing it's regeneration) and stab your old body to death. And now you have the Big T's uber regeneration. For information on how to get your Manifester level up that high try googling it. I know I've seen multiple posts on it before (maybe transparency+CL boosts?)...

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »

What if you dual-wielded them?  It's getting kind of costly for the trick, and I have no idea what it'd be worth using on anyway, but would that work? 

This weapon special ability can be used once per round I guess either applies to Conductive globally, or to that particular weapon's instance of it. 

I don't know if there's any precedence for a "global" reading of it.  If you had 2 Brutal Surge weapons, for instance, you'd get twice as many uses of the effect.  I imagine that's true for Intercepting (Forge of War p. 120) -- you'd get 2 of the extra attacks per round. 

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »
Nope, reread it. Even at -74,835,386HP the Big T remains alive and kicking. Even if you dealt it lethal damage (such as trollbane) into negatives it isn't slain until you smack it with Wish or Miracle.

If you want an alternative kill, you switch mind with it (thereby removing it's regeneration) and stab your old body to death. And now you have the Big T's uber regeneration. For information on how to get your Manifester level up that high try googling it. I know I've seen multiple posts on it before (maybe transparency+CL boosts?)...

A certain reading (i.e. that the Tarrasque's regeneration is a method of changing lethal damage from it's normal properties of killing things) then it could very well work because you bypass that regeneration. I will agree that throllbane does not work because it only negates the benefit of regeneration against that one attack. Trait Removal would work though, due to everything being conveniently listed under regeneration.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »
I don't know if there's any precedence for a "global" reading of it.
I can't think of one. But don't take that as some kind of supporting fact. I mean I could mention charge based items track their own charges and the Figurines state "this item" vs effects like use related items (sic nightsticks). But those are all D&D examples and we're discussing Pathfinder. In terms of relevance, I could cite D&D 4th Edition rules just as equally which are built on global rules.

The Special Ability states; "This weapon special ability can only be used once per round", it's not discussing "this item" or "this charge" or even as Blurstrike words things "a conductive weapon" and I'm taking it for what it states.