Author Topic: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions  (Read 58312 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2017, 09:46:29 AM »
15 foot reach feels very excessive.  Goliath Barbarian goes from Powerful Build to full on Large.  I think it's fine to just do that.

May have been why I threw the reach in there, to make it more extreme than that progression. Definitely adding bite back if taking away the reach.

Bit worried that will make them seem pigeonholed into NAers in hybrid form though? The reach and no bite explicitly supports being a weapon wielder over NAer. Think that concern may be why I took bite from Hybrid Tigers too?

Weapons can still be used for iterative attacks, and also you can bite as a secondary while using a weapon.  Also the 15 foot reach can be used with natural weapons and there is feat support for iterative attacks with natural weapons so don't rule that out.  Also, now I'm envisioning the hybrid bear weilding a spiked chain.  Removing the extra reach and adding the bite back in should be fine.

Rat just feels small to me.  Rats aren't bigger than Ferrets.  The only reason I can see is to have a sneaky race of each size category (Medium and Small).

I think that may have been part of it. Perhaps with some appeal to the classic Wererats at M? :shrug S for now at least ;)

I never knew that classic wererats were M.  It's not a big deal either way, rats just don't feel larger than ferrets to me.  :p

I don't understand your mindset at all on this one.  Balanced between each other does not equal cookie cutter.  Right now everything feels like arbitrary numbers you made up because they sounded good.

To me +2 stats, +4 skills, 2 feats to every race seems very cookie cutter, especially if they're all also getting the same total numeric boosts from their animal and hybrid forms.

I will totally acknowledge the current (and past) randomness was probably a bit extreme, but starting with the base animal stats, its quite clear that picking arbitrary numbers was exactly how those were originally designed  :lol

I had tried to just round out that with racial ability and role specialization boosts; finding the middle ground is what, obviously, still eludes me.

Gonna play around with the spreadsheet back and forth for a minute and update some things (already noticing some standouts like forgetting to specify speed for hybrid bear  :-\ ) and see how I feel about how where things end up there  :D

Okay, sounds good.  I'm glad I sent you the spreadsheet since it seems I forgot to mention some problems like the hybrid bear speed.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
Alright, after going back and forth on it for a (long, distracted) while, I've standardized initial stat bonuses to +2 total. :P

It was tough, but in the end, made more sense to get rid of the last few exceptions here and allow the remaining exceptions to trends in animal form to stand out a bit more.

Varied skills a bit more again though, adding sleight of hand to rats.

Nerfed Cranes some more, taking out Spot bonus and AiGO.

Bears lost reach, and they and Tigers got bite back.

Tigers got nerfed too, removing Str bonuses and shifting skills they can take 10 on down to +2.

Mostly standardized NA and stat boosts in animal form and from animal form to hybrid.

NA is now +1 and +3, with bears, pythons, and boars having more (and boars having even more than the other two), but still only gaining +2 between animal and hybrid.

Stats are now +6 in animal form, with boars, rats, and pythons gaining +8 instead.

Couple of other little tweaks to things like speeds in different forms as well, mostly to standardize. There are few random outliers, but can't remember each specifically.

Everything on Clan pages should be updated, but haven't gotten around to modifying charts yet.

If you wanna see how the spreadsheet ended up, I can send that your way too.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
I was actually thinking about you and your resistance to stat standardization last night!

Yeah, if you have an updated spreadsheet that includes all of your changes I'd love to see it.  A few exceptions are fine in my opinion as long as they're obviously exceptions and not too extreme.

If it helps none of the classes are going to have so many changes that I'll make a spreadsheet for them.   :lol

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2017, 03:07:18 AM »
I was actually thinking about you and your resistance to stat standardization last night!

Yeah, if you have an updated spreadsheet that includes all of your changes I'd love to see it.  A few exceptions are fine in my opinion as long as they're obviously exceptions and not too extreme.

If it helps none of the classes are going to have so many changes that I'll make a spreadsheet for them.   :lol

Somehow completely missed the notification for this response. @.@

I sent you the spreadsheet I was using through FB, couldn't remember how to attach links through PM here lol

Went ahead and updated the two charts in the google docs too ;)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2017, 03:10:55 PM »
I can't interpret your spreadsheet.   :???

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »
I can't interpret your spreadsheet.   :???

I'm not the most organized, even in a spreadsheet  :lol

Averages are used to determine midpoints for each section, red text are below midpoint, blue above.

Overall is consolidation of averages.

Speed and damage normalized to medium and divided by 10 so they weren't skewing the averages nearly so much.

Hrmm, unless there's been some formatting mishap between versions of open office?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
No, it's more that you assigned values to things and I have no idea what's going on.   :lol

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2017, 09:16:03 PM »
No, it's more that you assigned values to things and I have no idea what's going on.   :lol

:???

I switched everything to unit numbers instead of value (so 1 stat bonus instead of +2 stats, 1 skill bonus instead of +4 skills), is that what you're referring to?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2018, 10:52:53 PM »
We should probably get back to working on this...

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2018, 02:25:56 AM »
We should probably get back to working on this...

I always am, just usually incrediably slowly... ;)

Right now, for new stuff, I'm bogged down in exotic equipment, on one set/type of items in particular, trying to figure out where to draw what lines without it becoming super convuluted... Trying to figure out the details of doing some loose chain based armor for the bears, modeled vaguely around both the idea of torcs/bracers (and other jewelry) in place of full armor and using extensive imprisonment chains as both armor and weapons in an uprising... but been up in the air for _months_ about how many different items to make it and which of them should have what bonuses if I do... but no matter how I slice it, it starts feeling clunky in item/weapon slot usage, since its not technically armor at all  :lol

I've had the google docs pages and charts updated to match that spreadsheet I sent you for a good while now (I know that sheet was near incomprehensible from the outside, but that's how my brain is organized), so unless you were expecting another drop to look it back over or if there's still something jumping out as troublesome with that set of changes, then classes would be the next logical step...

If you're still intent on helping with a top to bottom review, that is  :love :love :love

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2018, 10:02:29 PM »
I think you're overcomplicating things.  :P

I'll try to remember to give the races another look and then we'll move on to classes.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2018, 11:50:01 PM »
Ugh, I'm falling behind.  I need to remember to look at this.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2018, 01:11:51 AM »
Ugh, I'm falling behind.  I need to remember to look at this.

All good, I've never not been behind on this ;)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »
So, I can't find the link to your stuff on google docs...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
Sorry, forgot about this.

I'm not making another race chart. 

Boar Fighter Fury of the Beast feels excessive.  For Headstrong, base bonus or total bonus?  Or just roll Fort instead of Will?

Fox Favored Soul is a little intense, but it's favored soul so it's probably okay.

Viper Swashbuckler Biting Tongue says it deals damage as it the target had been hit.  Does that include weapon specific bonuses such as flaming?

I remember the Ferret I made for your game that never got off the ground.  Apparently that sheet has been deleted from myth-weavers and no longer exists, all I have left is the name Chimchim.  I'm so glad I moved away from using that site.

Tiger Paladin, can paladins choose to exclude people from their auras (too lazy to look it up, sorry).

Raven Wizard Lingering Spell is a huge boost at first level.  All low level wizards should be ravens unless they're blasters.  Rigorous Casting should specify that it can only be used to fuel spell slots that the raven can cast normally.

All of your links in the document need to be updated to point to minmaxforum.com