Author Topic: [WH40KRPG Rogue Trader] Faith&Fortune New Game looking for players  (Read 49598 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: [WH40KRPG Rogue Trader] Faith&Fortune New Game looking for players
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »
-Has located it.-

Oh god, a holy relic? Well, it's certainly impressive... and would give me a reason to pick the Saint's Relic over the Seal (since I didn't realise that a Rogue Trader got a full suit of armour by default) for the Pride-related heirloom. XD

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »
Indeed. Though, hold on your horses, we need to get the approval of the rest of the crew, as well as the GM's stamp of approval.

And we need to find the Ship name as well. And the style on board, as well as the style of our dynasty.
I suggest, as we are playing some sort of Conquistador in Space, to do exactly that :
a Spanish Armada feel on board, with Morion helmeted armsmen organised in tercios for instance, with a Rogue Trader whose full name is something like Alexandrao Francisco de Paula de la Santísima Trinidad Juan Ramon Nepomuceno María de los Villalobos de la Plata O'Sullivan Ruiz y Sengrin-Monastorio.

"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
Indeed we do!

Conquistador? Can't we just slip a century or two later? :P

Well, I know what I'll probably use for appearance either way. Kinda want to use this for something, and it's at least semi-appropriate. :lmao

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »
This is 40k, we can mix and match as we see fit. :P We can get on board Conquistadors, Zorro, Captain Alatriste and even Machete on board without any glitches.

Your pic would be nice for a Rogue trader by the way. need some headtubes, and/or skulls and/or an Aquila though...  :smirk
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2014, 04:31:27 PM »
Don't get where the headtubes come in, that is rather confusing to me. The skull obsession, however, is rampant over the entire galaxy, so at least that makes sense. :lmao

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
Well, it is, as I understand it as someone trying to draw a bit, a cheap way to show both the technological advance and the decaying state of said technology in this universe :  cortical implants and augments, this kind of things, but very obvious.
you can do 40k pics without them though.

-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
Ah. Well, I have no implants etc., so that's not a particular concern right now. :p

As for the ship: if it comes to it, launch bays on either side. Asymmetry of armament drives me mad. -_-'

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2014, 04:58:56 PM »
Ah. Well, I have no implants etc., so that's not a particular concern right now. :p

As for the ship: if it comes to it, launch bays on either side. Asymmetry of armament drives me mad. -_-'
But of course ! I've never see it done otherwise, and I do not condone it anway :p
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
In general I'm getting the impression that people miss more often in melee than at range, given the sheer number of bonuses to hitting that ranged has floating around. This is... weird.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:13 PM »
Here's what I got so far:
(click to show/hide)

Some questions:
Does the Hatred (Psyker) talent apply to ALL Pskyers, or just un-sanctioned ones?
How does starting equipment work?  I guess we get one "free" aquisition, but do we get to test for others, or is it just that plus whatever is in the "starting gear" section for our career?
I'm planning on going into the Drusian Adherent or Red Consecrator Alternate Advancement Ranks.  Will the fluff requirements be possible?  Or would it be advisable to take one of them now, since they're available at Rank 1?  I'd have to give up starting with Dodge and Charm, but I'd get to start with Flame proficiency and Peer (Ecclesiarchy and/or Inquisition), which sounds fun, or Command and a bunch of Hatreds. 
Any advice for what I should take with my Pressgang skill?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2014, 10:52:12 PM »
Linklord, any opinion on the ship decision?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »

Haha nope.  Haven't even looked at the ship building rules yet.  I can't begin to have an informed opinion when I don't know what, for example, "Speed : 5 Manoeuvrability +10 Detection: +25 Hull : 70 hp  Armor :21. turret : 2. 75/90 Power, 78/78 Space. 73 Ship points." even means

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:12 PM »

Haha nope.  Haven't even looked at the ship building rules yet.  I can't begin to have an informed opinion when I don't know what, for example, "Speed : 5 Manoeuvrability +10 Detection: +25 Hull : 70 hp  Armor :21. turret : 2. 75/90 Power, 78/78 Space. 73 Ship points." even means

The last one is cost.

... more or less, what that thing is is one step short of being a battleship, but we're not exactly going to be rolling in cash... at first. On the plus side, firepower! :D

Also plenty of power leftover if upgrades become a concern. And defences (that's... quite a lot of armour. Turrets are handy). Not the fastest, though.

And a crew of 100,000 people.

Offline LordBlades

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54:44 AM »
So... I'm really tempted to do Navis Scion, from the Cassini house as described in the Navis Primer,, but for that concept, i'd rather be from a Magistral House. Can I create an equivalent from an homebrew lineage, as in, the same with a different name on a Maigstral house ?

So you want the House Cassini specific abilities, but stacked on a Magisterial House rather than Nomadic house ‘chassis’, right? I see no problem with that. Do you want to include the inter-house rivalry (the Nemesis part) ?
I've been been a player from day 1 in RT, and  mastering a PbP RT campaign from rank 1 to 6 for three years , in which there is a huge focus on space battles. Don't worry about the ship part, I'll handle this. :smirk

I’m looking forward to some starship combat :D The RL Rogue Trader group I usually play in kinda shies away from ship-to-ship combat, due to liking character combat more (we’re all long time D&D players) and due to the ship we’ve managed to build being somewhat on the overpowered side (pretty much obliterates anything that’s not built to combat it specifically, or is elder frigate level of fast).

Considering the Overlord, a good one is the plasma drive, as I don't see the plasma drive refit being an easy one to do in game. The teleportarium is very good, but too much prone to abuse, so I try to avoid it when I play. (When I master, that's an other kettle of fishes  :smirk)

100% agreed on the Teleportarium. Is probably the worst written piece of gear in the whole game IMO. Without limitations it’s abusable as hell. With the Into the Storm limitations (one use per session) you might as well not have it, because 90% of the players end up reading ‘one use per session’ as ‘only use when shit really hits the fan’ so it’s usually kept in reserve. In my group we ended up homebrewing some teleportation hazards tables and lifting the usage restrictions, so that teleporting blindly is quite risky, but teleporting with a homer is quite safe.
Another nice piece of archeotech that I like is the Energistic Conversion Matrix. Speed for power is pure gold, especially on larger ships :D It’s your call though, of course. That device is nice for the RP implication and for offsetting the morale penalties for poor-quality components.
Some questions:
1)Does the Hatred (Psyker) talent apply to ALL Pskyers, or just un-sanctioned ones?
2) How does starting equipment work?  I guess we get one "free" aquisition, but do we get to test for others, or is it just that plus whatever is in the "starting gear" section for our career?
3) I'm planning on going into the Drusian Adherent or Red Consecrator Alternate Advancement Ranks.  Will the fluff requirements be possible?  Or would it be advisable to take one of them now, since they're available at Rank 1?  I'd have to give up starting with Dodge and Charm, but I'd get to start with Flame proficiency and Peer (Ecclesiarchy and/or Inquisition), which sounds fun, or Command and a bunch of Hatreds. 
4) Any advice for what I should take with my Pressgang skill?
Numbered for convenience:
1)   I’d say all psykers, since there’s nothing in the rules . Psyker hatred has pretty deep roots in the Imperial Creed. Sanctioning makes psykers tolerated, not liked.
2)   You get the starting gear, one free acquisition, and that’s it before the game starts. In game you can make acquisition tests for more whenever it’s reasonable to do so.
3)   I can’t find any specific fluff requirements for Drusian Adherent. Am I missing something? Anyway, you can do it several different ways: put the requirements in your background and either take the alt rank at rank 1 or later (since you’ve already fulfilled the requirement) or fulfill them in game (they will be possible to fulfill in game if you guys head in that direction).
4)   I’d wait with that until you see what other people are playing in more detail, and then fill in what’s missing.  If nothing particular Pilot (personal) is always a good choice, as Jump Packs and Hoverboards (and Harelquin Flip Belts) are awesome.

Also, since pretty much all of Harald’s ships seem to come equipped with Barracks :P There’s no official mention of how many troops a Barracks component holds (apart from ‘thousands of troops’), I’d suggest we go for 10% of the ship’s crew (so an Overlord would have room for 10k armsmen). How does that sound?
If I missed any of your questions please let me know.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
Does the Hatred (Psyker) talent apply to ALL Pskyers, or just un-sanctioned ones?
The plot thickens. My character will sleep with a laspistol under his pillow :P

EDIT: Ok, I know I'm probably behind everyone else when talking about sheet progress, but please be patient with me. I'm still reading the options in the Origin Path and I'll probably choose them according to what is cooler and not what is better. I intend to focus on that and try to make big advancements during the weekend, though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:49:32 AM by Scout89 »
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »

EDIT: Ok, I know I'm probably behind everyone else when talking about sheet progress, but please be patient with me. I'm still reading the options in the Origin Path and I'll probably choose them according to what is cooler and not what is better. I intend to focus on that and try to make big advancements during the weekend, though.

I dunno, I've not really started on my sheet proper, I've been too busy reading the rules.

I think I was up to the normal combat rules. @_@

EDIT: Linklord, unless I've missed something, your origin path doesn't work. Duty Bound can't go into Press-Ganged.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:16:41 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
Ah right. That's because I originally intended to do Crusade instead of Duty Bound, but swapped it at the last minute and forgot to double check the legality. I'll fix it when I felt home today.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2014, 12:44:55 PM »
Wait! Astropath has no Motivation above it. Does it mean he is limited to Endurance? That sucks! I wanted to other side of the graph  :bigeyes
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
Wait! Astropath has no Motivation above it. Does it mean he is limited to Endurance? That sucks! I wanted to other side of the graph  :bigeyes

You don't have to join up the motivation and class. Class is a free choice.

Wait, I've misread something. Annoying, that, because now I have to rethink... rather a lot. >_>;

Not sure I even want to bother.

EDIT: Yeah, not interested any more; if class choice is going to dictate character personality and motivation, I don't want to take part. With a choice of adrenaline junkie or megalomaniac? Eugh.

I'm out.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:22:38 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline LordBlades

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
I'm not adamant on that chart
 If you want you can freely choose as long as it makes sense.