Author Topic: Osteomancy Index and General Discussion  (Read 34191 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Osteomancy Index and General Discussion
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
At the top (or bottom, or wherever) could you make a note about spell sources so that people have an idea of where to look?  Something like the following:

Spells not in the PHB can be found in the following:
PHB2: Animalistic Power, Bones of the Earth,
Heroes of Battle: Animate Legion
Frostburn: Arctic Haze, Blizzard, Boreal Wind
Complete Mage: Blackrot, Finger of Agony
Dragon Magic: Burst of Glacial Wrath
The rest are found in the Spell Compendium

Once that's done, I think we're done with Osteomancy.  What's next?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »
Done.

And you can look over Arx if you want, but it's not a particularly serious magic system - it's supposed to be something of a recreation of the various bits and pieces of the old RPG of the same name. No one's ever tried to use it and it's not Arhosa legal.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
I was never a fan of playing Arx Fatalis so I think I'll pass.  :P

What next?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »
In that case Necromancy is next up. It's the most done.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »
Watchful Spirit
An ancestor spirit, an icon of your faith, or another being watches out for you
Prerequisites: Osteomancer or must worship a god
Benefit: Twice per day, you can reroll an initiative roll you have just made before you know your place in the initiative order. You take the better of the two rolls. If you still have two or more uses left, you gain a +1 sacred bonus on all saves. If you still have one or more uses left, you gain a +1 deflection bonus to armour class. These benefits stack with each other.

Vengeful Spirit
Your watchful spirit takes revenge on foes that have harmed you.
Prerequisites: Watchful Spirit
Benefit: If you use an initiative reroll from your watchful spirit feat, once per round for the rest of the encounter you may expend your immediate action when a creature damages you. If you do, that creature immediately takes half the damage it dealt to you. This damage is untyped, so damage reduction and resistance or immunity does not apply. Also, you gain one extra initiative reroll from your watchful spirit feat.

Hasty Spirit
Your watchful spirit lends you a burst of speed in times of great need.
Benefit: If you use an initiative reroll from your watchful spirit feat, you gain a +10 ft. enhancement bonus to your base land speed, and you can take an extra move action on one of your turns during that encounter. Also, you gain one extra initiative reroll from your watchful spirit feat.

Defending Spirit
Your watchful spirit helps you defend yourself.
Benefit: If you use an initiative reroll from your watchful spirit feat, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to your Armor Class and are never flat-footed for the duration of that encounter. Also, you gain one extra initiative reroll from your watchful spirit feat.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
Osteomancy feats suggestions:

Feats based around Osseus Hammer.

You could add some of the bone specific undead crafting feats in Libris Mortis as bone feats?

A feat to give anyone affected by your [insert skeleton class ability] gains the bonuses from undead creating feats related to bones?

A feat to give your skeletal undead your skeleton class features before 17th level?

A Priest of the People specific feat (maybe removing a self-buff class feature but granting it to others in a radius)?

As an aside, I didn't notice before that roll the bones says "the osteogen can either gain a +1 bonus to his osteoblast level, lasting for one minute."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2016, 12:48:41 PM »
No undead feats - that's necromancy's domain, despite the class features. Plus, there's actually nothing stopping an Osteomancer from just using the Corpsecrafter line, or any other appropriate feats. Extending Osseus Waves or moving it down the levels isn't something I want to do, either.

Piercing Shards
Prerequisites: Osseus Hammer class ability
Benefit: When using the piercing ability of your osseus hammer, your attack takes the form of a 60-foot line. Make a single attack roll and roll damage once. Every creature struck takes damage from the shot.

Repelling Hammer
Prerequisites: Osseus Hammer class ability
Benefit: When using the bludgeoning ability of your osseus hammer, struck creatures are pushed 5 ft. per two class levels directly away from you.

Paralyzing Command
Prerequisites: Liquefy Bone class ability
Benefit: Your liquefy bone class ability now paralyzes targets on a failed save. If the target is immune to paralyze but not slow, the target becomes slowed.

And cleaned up the text.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
Repelling Hammer: I'd say treat it as a bull rush using Wis mod instead of Str and treat it as a creature the same size as the target with a bonus equal to half the number of damage dice rounded down and it always moves with the target.  Currently it feels like too much.

Paralyzing Command looks good.  Piercing Shards should be fine.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
Repelling Hammer: I'd say treat it as a bull rush using Wis mod instead of Str and treat it as a creature the same size as the target with a bonus equal to half the number of damage dice rounded down and it always moves with the target.  Currently it feels like too much.

Was trying to do it without adding extra rolls. Hence why the amount is quite small. It also requires giving up your Standard Action for the turn for substandard damage, instead of casting a spell. So I'm not too worried about it being powerful.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »

Was trying to do it without adding extra rolls. Hence why the amount is quite small. It also requires giving up your Standard Action for the turn for substandard damage, instead of casting a spell. So I'm not too worried about it being powerful.

I'm more thinking about situational cases like "ranged touch attack to push someone off a cliff/into lava/whatever".

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2016, 07:10:45 AM »
Then it's useful BFC occasionally :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »
More feats needed?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
Offhand I can't think of anything else to add (unless you want a priest of the people specific feat).

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
It'd be something like allowing the ceremonies to take place faster, or boosting their output. Quicken, Maximize, Extend, etc.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »
I meant for pre-reqs. :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »
I'll come up with a few for it :P

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
I'll come up with a few for it :P

Sounds like a plan.  (Don't worry, I'm not interested in the PrC right now anyway.)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
Extra Ceremony [Bone]
Prerequisites: Ceremonies class feature
Benefit: You may select one more ceremony. You must meet the requirements to take the chosen ceremony.

Mark the Unbeliever [Bone]
Prerequisites: Must have the leadership feat, or be the priest of a tribal village or larger compound.
Benefit: By taking a full-round action, you may mark one creature within 60 ft. of you as an enemy of your people. All of your allies who saw you mark the unbeliever gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +3 bonus to damage rolls against the creature. In addition, if the creature is struck by two or more of the affected allies, it must make a Will save against 10 + damage dealt (by the second attacker) or become shaken. This does not stack with other fear effects.

Rally the People [Bone]
Prerequisites: Must have the leadership feat, or be the priest of a tribal village or larger compound.
Benefit: If you are not currently suffering from a fear effect, you can use this ability as a standard action. Allies within 60 feet who are suffering from any fear effect or a morale penalty and who can hear you are allowed another saving throw against the effect, with a +1 morale bonus.

Implacable [Bone]
Benefit: You can activate this ability as a move action, but must concentrate to maintain it each round after that. While active, allies within 100 ft. of you may ignore the effects of being reduced to 0 or less hp. However, any creature reduced to -20 hp dies immediately. When the effect ends, or if a creature moves more than 100 feet from you, the normal effects of the damage apply immediately.

Tribal Frenzy [Bone]
Benefit: You are able to inspire your followers to acts of extreme battle frenzy. You activate this frenzy as a standard action, and then maintain it as a free action. It ends at the conclusion of any turn in which you do not maintain it. The frenzy affects any ally that starts its turn within 30 feet of you and can hear you. The frenzy grants a +2 enhancement bonus to the Strength score of each affected ally (not including you). At the start of each of their turns, everyone affected by the Strength boost takes 1 point of damage for every 4 hit dice they have (minimum 1).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
Everything looks good except the argument that we've already had about the effect of Tribal Frenzy. :p