Author Topic: Kingmaker  (Read 20530 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Kingmaker
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 02:38:24 AM »
I've requested a forum.

Oh good.  Thanks  :D
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 04:29:26 AM »
Since you are allowing "2nd party" material (which I presume to be official material from a different setting?), how does one explain the material? Did he go from say Dragonlance to Golarion via the Plane of Shadows? Or, are you simply allowing the mechanic, but it won't retain its original setting's flavor?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »
Its probably more just a conversion, since it feels like a good fit for the character.

2nd party = officially licensed material made by a third party (ex. Dragon mags, Dark Sun, etc.).

most of the non-Kalamar stuff is more or less reliable, but the Kalamar stuff is unreliable(10% overwhelmingly powerful but 50% unusable crap)
(ex. There used to be a Metamagic feat that removed the saving throw for the affected spell)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:14:42 AM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:29 AM »
I, um, don't think that's how it works.  If it's a melee weapon, it works like a melee weapon, except when it doesn't.  The only way that a whip doesn't work like a normal melee weapon is for threatened areas and AoOs (as a side note, whips don't threaten the area around you at all in 3.5). 

I think the confusion lies in the 3.0-3.5 update.  In 3.0, whips were treated as a projectile weapon with a 15' max range and no range penalties.  That's why Sword and Fist has Mighty whips, which are not necessary in 3.5 - you always add your full Str (or Strength-and-a-half, if you're two handing it), because that's how one-handed melee weapons work.  With that in mind, we'll treat Whip daggers as if they were updated to 3.5.  They're melee attacks that don't threaten and provoke attacks of opportunity as if they were ranged (barring certain feats), but can deal lethal damage instead of nonlethal.
Hmm, all these years playing it wrong. Oh well, it's all good now. Good thing I won't be spending 225gp on a mighty whip dagger.
On another topic, when you say "barring certain feats", do you mean Whip Mastery is off limits? It's not a big deal to my character, but I wanted to know if that's still a future option.
I'll have his background adapted to Golarion until next monday. I'm guessing it's ok.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:41:54 AM by Scout89 »
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »
Since you are allowing "2nd party" material (which I presume to be official material from a different setting?), how does one explain the material? Did he go from say Dragonlance to Golarion via the Plane of Shadows? Or, are you simply allowing the mechanic, but it won't retain its original setting's flavor?

I've never really been opposed to mixing campaign settings, unless the material in question is intricately tied to the setting.  For example, I'm not a huge fan of Dragonmarked characters outside of Eberron.  But the feat he asked about didn't seem like it would only work in Planescape - I can easily imagine non-caster smiths in any setting. 

On another topic, when you say "barring certain feats", do you mean Whip Mastery is off limits? It's not a big deal to my character, but I wanted to know if that's still a future option.
I'll have his background adapted to Golarion until next monday. I'm guessing it's ok.

By "barring certain feats", I meant "unless you have a feat like Whip Mastery, you won't be able to make AoOs with a whip."  The Whip Mastery is most definitely allowed. 

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
So, I'm still pursuing archery, but I've decided the monk isn't really good at it. I was going to try a multiclassed fighter. I would like to multiclass as an antipaladin. I could make sure his motivations would keep him in allegiance with the party. He would be the bastard son of a noble Issian who was never loved by his noble father. He wants to set up a kingdom to ally with Rostland in the hopes that a Rostland alliance will go to war with Issia. In the meantime, he would enjoy slaughtering anyone who opposed the establishment of his kingdom. Let me know if this is possible. If not, I have an alternate archer ready.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:30:58 AM by professorgear »

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2014, 08:19:35 AM »
So, you want me to post my character sheet here or in the campaign thread?
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »
Oh, we got a board in case anyone didn't notice. Can't link (posting from my phone), but it should be pretty easy to find. Character sheets each get their own thread in the Characters subforum.

I think antipaladin will be ok (as long as no one else objects - evil PCs should be a group decision, not just a DM one), but I'll look ahead in the AP to make sure it won't cause problems later on.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
So I'm guessing I can go ahead and make my own Character thread?

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 12:35:20 AM »
Yes I would.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 03:21:59 AM »
Yeah sorry. Been posting from my phone since Saturday, and sometimes it just decides not to type any more on the middle of a post. But I'm home now :)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »
How are we doing?  Characters about ready?

Oh, and Zook - you can add the Fireblood Dwarf modifications on top of the PF dwarf if you want to.  That's basically a free +2 Wis.  I'd also allow any of the alternate racial traits that replace the things you haven't already traded away with Fireblood. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:43:40 PM by linklord231 »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »
How are we doing?  Characters about ready?

Oh, and Zook - you can add the Fireblood Dwarf modifications on top of the PF dwarf if you want to.  That's basically a free +2 Wis.  I'd also allow any of the alternate racial traits that replace the things you haven't already traded away with Fireblood.
My character is done and posted in the thread, anyways. -shrug-

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2014, 04:10:36 AM »
I decided not to go with an evil aligned character. I think it would be a headache. However, while I don't need a party's approval for alignment, my character sheet does need a look-over and approval from the DM. It's posted in the Kingmaker forum.

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »
Sad to say, the minmaxboards dice are easy to fool. If we decide not to use Roll20 and its dice, we shall have to disqualify any rolls from modified posts. That's the only way to ensure their authenticity.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:55:12 AM by professorgear »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2014, 04:51:21 AM »
I'm working on getting a roll20 campain page set up.  Still learning how to use all the tools and stuff.

Also, a place to continue the discussion in a more official capacity.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2014, 05:17:35 AM »
I have good experience with Roll20. I can give you a hand.
Sorry about the delay on my sheet. Busy week. I'll try to post it this weekend.

Offline Lordhavelock

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »
[roll]4d6x7[/roll

Offline Lordhavelock

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
Let's try that again

Rolled 4d6 : 6, 1, 3, 1, total 11
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 2, 6, 6, total 18
Rolled 4d6 : 6, 1, 2, 5, total 14
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 3, 5, 3, total 13
Rolled 4d6 : 3, 6, 2, 1, total 12
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 5, 5, 4, total 16
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 5, 5, 4, total 19

Offline Smileybastard

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2014, 08:43:40 PM »
Wow I finally figured out what I needed to do to post!  Now lets see if I can roll.

Rolled 4d6 : 2, 1, 2, 5, total 10

Rolled 4d6 : 1, 1, 6, 6, total 14

Rolled 4d6 : 1, 4, 4, 2, total 11

Rolled 4d6 : 5, 3, 6, 5, total 19

Rolled 4d6 : 2, 6, 6, 5, total 19

Rolled 4d6 : 6, 5, 4, 1, total 16

Rolled 4d6 : 2, 6, 4, 1, total 13