Author Topic: Vian  (Read 1953 times)

Offline professorgear

• Honorary Mod
  • Vian
    • View Profile
Vian
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:10:09 AM »
Ok, sorry about the wait, but here's my guy. Vian's the name, mounted archery's the game.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=833987

In the past I've posted character backgrounds, but now I realize that might somewhat encourage metagaming. I think it would be more fun for the characters to naturally learn of one another's backgrounds. So only the DM knows my character background. That being said, we might want to have cooperative backgrounds, so if the DM finds some common thread that he would like to weave together, then I'm all for it. It beats meeting in a bar.

Anyways, linklord231, I have applied the oft-OP Unseelie Fey template to my character. However, not to worry, it hardly gets me anything. I really just wanted it for the Charm the Arrow feat, which isn't even that good with my charisma 17. I mainly like the flavor. For that template there are two sets of traits where you can roll dice to randomly select or intentionally select a racial feature. I have intentionally selected the result that grants no feature for both of these. So I don't have wings of any sort, nor do I have special senses. For the trait set that you have to choose from, I have not chose the winter one, which is absurdly powerful in the wrong hands. I have chosen the spring one, which is situational and not very powerful. With this I get Iron Vulnerability, which at low levels is no laughing matter. So I hope you'll approve this +0 LA template (it's in the Dragon Magazine Compendium, if you didn't know). You may be wondering about the alignment description, but as Savage Species clarifies, an align description that says "always of X alignment" means virtually always. In some rare and extenuating circumstances, deviations from this can happen. I think my character background provides a moving reason for his change in alignment, but let me know if you disagree.

I'm a part of the Medvyed family, because that fits in perfectly with the flavor. I also have the Unseelie Fey Noble Kelir bonus feat, again mainly for flavor rather than substantial benefit. In reality, my character wouldn't want to have anything to do with evil, wintry fey as a rule.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:52:29 AM by professorgear »

Offline linklord231

• Honorary Mod
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Vian
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »
Looks good.  Fair warning though, a lot of the early enemies will be using primarily iron weapons, and your DR doesn't kick in til level 3. 

Oh, and by the way, "vernal" is springtime, not summer.    And I'm a little bit surprised you opted for Fighter, rather than Paladin.  It's totally your choice though.

Are you using any Fighter archetypes? Archer might be to your liking, or maybe Roughrider
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:55:23 AM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline professorgear

• Honorary Mod
  • Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 04:26:47 AM »
Oh, summer was a typo.

I didn't really find any archetypes that took archery in the direction I wanted to go, so I took the Weapon Master archetype as I was planing on specializing in the shortbow to the exclusion of all else anyways.

Offline professorgear

• Honorary Mod
  • Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 05:10:39 AM »
Hey linklord231, is it alright if I don't use the default light horse from Bestiary I? The monsters represented there are just supposed to be standard monster builds, but not necessarily what they're all like. What I'm getting at here strictly is feats. Now a horse gets Run as a bonus feat, so I can't change that. But I was hoping to have Power Attack instead of Endurance. Is that alright?

Offline linklord231

• Honorary Mod
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
Sure, that's fine. It doesn't look like you have a way to scale your horse's BAB though, so PA might not be so useful in a couple levels.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.