Author Topic: Runecarving Index & General Discussion  (Read 58510 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Runecarving General Discussion
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2015, 04:39:08 PM »
Runecarver has an ability called Reengrave.   :p

Yes? It's a proper word, although it's more often written as Re-engrave.

I minored in English, I'm going to nag you until you put the - in there.   :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »
Runecarver has an ability called Reengrave.   :p

Yes? It's a proper word, although it's more often written as Re-engrave.

I minored in English, I'm going to nag you until you put the - in there.   :P

In that case, I shall leave it permanently unchanged :D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2015, 08:17:58 PM »
So, I've "finished" the Runecarver - I didn't like the abilities and disjointedness of the class design, and so stripped it down to the basics and a lot of bonus Runic feats. I've still got all of the abilities saved, so I might work them back in as I go back to revise the class.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »
Thank you for changing it.   :p

The class looks good as it is (at least in general).  All the extra abilities can go into prestige classes.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »
The class looks good as it is (at least in general).  All the extra abilities can go into prestige classes.

I've already got two in mind that'll soak up some of the abilities - a Warleader and a Runerager (Savage/Barbarian + Runecarver).

Now, if you have any idea for Runic feats, since the Runecarver needs a few more (there's enough to finish a build, but it'd be very samey).

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
Now, I know I said I was thinking about prestige classes, but I fell asleep thinking about a Wild Mage Runecarver, and, the Unlettered is the result.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
The Unlettered Runecarving is complicated.  You lost me at rolling more d6s after you figure out what runes you're actually carving from the chart.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
It's not really as difficult as it looks at first, actually. It's just roll for Rune, roll for Rune Effect. And you're done.

Arwyddlun is a 5th level Human Unlettered. As he's the party tank, he wants runes that suit that roll, and chooses Sterkur and Kolo. He then rolls a 1d6 for Sterkur, getting a 3, and a 1d6 for Kolo, getting a 1. This results in his runes being Exhu instead of Sterkur and Queta instead of Kolo. Arwyddlun follows that up by rolling a 1d6 for Exhu and a 1d6 for Queta to see what Symbol he drew. A 1 for Exhu gets him the First Symbol rune effect, while he has to reroll a 3 for Queta, as the Third Symbol rune effect is too high level for him to use. His reroll is a 2, and so his final carved rune is Exhu's First Symbol combined with Queta's Second Symbol.

The events below are exactly the same as the text above, but laid out more programatically:
Sterkur -> rolls a 3 -> gets Exhu -> rolls a 1 -> First Symbol rune effect.
Kolo -> rolls a 1 -> gets Queta -> rolls a 3 -> Can't use Third Symbol (too high level) -> rerolls a 2 -> Second Symbol rune effect.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:08:24 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »
I would suggest changing it to say the following:

[stuff] For the two runes he was given as a result from Table 2, he then rolls another 1d6 each to determine the rune effect, rerolling any 6s. 1 is the First Symbol, 2 is the second Symbol, and so on. [stuff]

Adding the example to the class post helped too.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
[stuff] For the two runes he was given as a result from Table 2, he then rolls another 1d6 each to determine the rune effect, rerolling any 6s. 1 is the First Symbol, 2 is the second Symbol, and so on. [stuff]

Added in the suggestion, as well as clarifying that players reroll rune effects above their runecarving level.

I know it might not be as mechanically simple or strong as the Runecarver, but I like the Unlettered more as a class. Just seems like it would be more fun to play, if occasionally worthy of laughing at the rune results.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2015, 01:56:54 PM »
I see where you're going with it, it's a runecarving wild mage.  I'm not sure if I'd want to play one though given the lack of control over your own "spellcasting".

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »
I see where you're going with it, it's a runecarving wild mage.  I'm not sure if I'd want to play one though given the lack of control over your own "spellcasting".

By the later levels of the class, that lack of control is pretty much optional. And even earlier on, because the rune carving is so much faster than on a runecarver, it's possible to just reroll until you more or less get what you want. Not necessarily the most elegant method, but it's a player choice rather than mechanically forced upon them.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
I've already got two in mind that'll soak up some of the abilities - a Warleader and a Runerager (Savage/Barbarian + Runecarver).

Runechanter has shown up. He's more a combination of abilities from lots of different places than a brand new class.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »

And now for the Savage/Runecarver combo - the Blood-Spiked Fury. Otherwise known as a Dwarven Battlerager that isn't terrible.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »

And now for the Savage/Runecarver combo - the Blood-Spiked Fury. Otherwise known as a Dwarven Battlerager that isn't terrible.

On first glance, nice!

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2015, 09:44:51 PM »
On first glance, nice!

The Blood-Spiked Charger feat was the one that got me into redoing the pile of tactical/style feats I did. It had tons of flavour, and yet like many WotC fighter options, it sucked and had huge requirements. So I rebuilt it, and then when I was looking to build a Runerager, it was an ideal starting point, because it fit the Dwarven Axe Idiots from the Driz'zt books perfectly. The Martial Fusillades its got are just tacked on so the Savage entrant doesn't lose the progression.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2015, 07:38:55 AM »
Ironguard of the Tokunnir, the most immovable rock in all of Arhosa.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »
Added Crossbow Expert and Throwing Savant feats to boost up those combat styles.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
Haphazard, a shorter PrC designed to make the Unlettered even more goofy, but stronger.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
Added another prestige class, the tracking/cursing focused Curse Carver, as well as starting the skeleton of the Runeborn, the third and final of the Rune base classes.