Author Topic: Chapter 1: By Darkness, By Blade [IC Thread]  (Read 13723 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Chapter 1: By Darkness, By Blade [IC Thread]
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »
As Kana dodges the slow-moving saw (at least from her perspective), she grips her spear tighter and whacks her attacker with the side of the weapon, using it as a staff for nonlethal purposes. No need to shed any bloody yet.

Please gentlemen, do you think us cheap thugs like you?  You'll only hurt yourselves if you don't stand down now.

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
The remaining two were visibly shaken.  "They just got the drop on us, is all!" the woman said.

"Are you daft?!" the man cried out.  "Look at what they did!  Belker, you're a dead man, you hear?  We'll be back, with more numbers, when your bodyguards aren't around to save you!"

And the two of them back off, keeping their eyes on Alex and Kana as they picked up their comrades' bodies before fleeing down into another boxhome and beyond.

"Are-Are they gone?" a quivering voice called out.

Akris Belker was a bespectacled middle-aged human male, of willowy build and dark skin.  His protective apron stained with various splotches of earthy colors, along with the strong smell of vinegar, made it clear that he's been using his own home as an alchemy lab.

"An elf maiden and a blonde young man, hmm?  I believe I heard about you two some time ago, sellswords, explorers, something along those lines?  Why are you just standing around, come, let's conduct business inside and away from the rest of the complex.

There was not much room inside Belker's apartment, most of it dedicated to storage space for living accommodations and alchemical supplies.  Business had to be conducted standing up.

"So, as you can tell, I can't remain in Vornheim much longer," Belker said as he grinded some flower leaves with a mortar and pestle.  "None of this would've happened if the nobles let me buy my own land.  I had the money, but nobody wanted to live next to an alchemist's workshop!  Hopefully the city of Branball will be more accommodating..."

He continued focusing on his work before continuing, or if prompted by either Alex or Kana.

"Oh, yes, my apologies!  I am in need to some hired help for multiple purposes.  One, to travel to west to the city of Branball; it's the religious center of the faith of Dorega the river goddess.  The town's built right onto the lake, they have an ingenius set of aqueducts and canals so that people can travel all around the city by boat!  It's a beautiful sight!"

"Secondly," he said as he poured the crushed leaves into a beaker full of liquid and began stirring, "I need you two to inquire into the Temple of Dorega and pick tell the high priestess that I'm willing to accept her offer.  Whatever she gives you, bring it back to me.  Normally I'd go myself, but the temple's doors open allow nonbelievers to venture into there once a lifetime, and I already made my visit."

"Thirdly," he said as he poured the mixed solution into several vials and stoppered them, "I need you to help move my belongings to my new home, which shall also be in Branball.  I can arrange for a horse-drawn carriage and some porters, but I'd appreciate it if you can help in the process of transporting some of my goods.  Blast this unorthodox urban planning, it would be so much simpler if the Von Claws would let me use their tower to descend!  Anyway, are you interested?  I can pay you a good bit of money, as part of the high priestess' deal, once it's confirmed I arrive safe and sound."

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
The Journey West

Transporting Belker's belongings took the better part of the day, but was otherwise uneventful.  Vornheim's gate guards at first attempted to extort a tax once they saw his horse-drawn cart ready to leave the city, but the rise of multi-colored smoke and an unexpected spark (which later turned out to be a harmless chemical reaction) convinced them to ensure you all a safe and speedy exit from the city.

It is said that the lands north of Vornheim are just as strange and dangerous as the realms east of it, although nobody could confirm this as the biting cold only grows worse and worse.  But even traveling west Alex and Kana could see the oddness of the place.  After spending the better part of the day traveling across snowy fields, you all camped for the night.  There was a town off in the distance, but as you all approached it became clear that there remained nothing but ruins.  Where there would be villagers, in their homes and hearths, were statues instead.  Faceless, featureless statues in only the basest of human shape with no minor details seen on proper sculptures.  Nothing happened unexpectedly, such as coming to life and attacking, but Belker wisely suggested that they should continue on their travels.

After nearly 3 days of travel you reached the city of Branbull.  It was everything Akris told you it would be.  In spite of it the climate the water was warm, people even wading through it!  The buildings were multi-storied, the streets no more than balconies and bridges wrapping around homes linking them all together.  The "ground level" was awash in canals and aqueducts, with rowers of miniature boats and greater barges offering to transport visitors about in exchange for some coin.  Dominating the skyline was a huge white tower spotless in its glory.

"This is quite the place!" Belker said.  "I am good friends with the high priestess, so securing a residence should be no trouble at all!  Excuse me miss, can you direct me to the most convenient route to the Temple of Dorega?"

"How can you say such a thing?" she exclaimed.

"Beg your pardon!"

"Oh, you've just come?  Then you don't know of it?  It's horrible, a wicked sorcerer ventured inside and slaughtered the people, right there as they engaged in worship!"

"By the gods, that's terrible!  What happened?"

"I don't know!  We tried rallying the town militia, but they have yet to emerge?"

"And what of the high priestess?"

"I already told you, I don't know?  River's grace, I hope she's okay..."

Belker stroked his temples.  "This is very unfortunate.  Well, you did bring me here, so you'll get your fee for ensuring my safe transport (10 silver pieces each), but I'm afraid that the rest of the money was to be paid by the high priestess.  And it appears that the people of this town are in dire straits.  Since you're here, wouldn't you mind seeing if you can do anything to help?"

The Temple of Dorega was none other than the massive white tower in the center of town.  The only windows were high, high above, so nobody could tell what was going on inside.  The front gate was no more than an archway with no doors, but an odd translucent barrier was erected over it.

(click to show/hide)

"That gate should not trouble you if you're going inside," the girl from before said.  "But you're nonbelievers, so once you exit the temple you'll be forever barred.  If you hope to rescue the priestess or kill the sorcerer, you're going to have to do it one go."

She turned back before leaving.  "May the river of life take you on peaceful journeys."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
"Such a vile man, attacking priests; doubtless turning the mililtia into beasts," Alex remarked, producing her bow, rather than a sword, and facing the entrance. A one-entrance-only barrier? What idiot erected such a thing?

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »
Clearly helping an alchemist move his lab while being pursued by the mob wasn't an exotic enough work for them. Some crazy sorcerer  had to attack the place where they were supposed to go, and of course the local militia was nowhere to be found. That's why she and Alex could command premium prices for their services.

It will take more than some mad magician to stop us from us rescuing the mone-I mean, the high priestess! And of course we'll do it one go. Who do you think we are? We're Kana and Alex!

Kana readied her spear and shield and entered the temple, keeping her eyes open for any ambush attempt, making sure to keep her back against a wall and using remaining behind any available cover. Hopefully she would draw any enemies out for Alex to shoot.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2014, 01:08:05 PM »
Alex followed close behind, arrow already in hand and eyes scanning for an enemy to shoot.

(click to show/hide)