Author Topic: We Who Once Were Thieves  (Read 29168 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: We Who Once Were Thieves
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »
"Oh? And what about information? What's the price for that? Specifically, let's assume someone were, for instance, set up to take the fall for something. What would it take to find out about the ones who did the setting up? Hypothetically?"

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
The thief grinned. This was very much his home turf. "Now that is a very interesting question. Depends a lot on who is being asked about. Most of the time, it's a little local grudge, easy to find out. But if it's one of the high rollers in the city, then it costs a great deal, otherwise we get found out and end up dead. You give me some details, I make a few inquiries, and then we discuss a price based on what I find. And if you need a bolthole in the meantime, well, I've got that for a price too."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 09:42:23 AM »
Cantra muttered something under her breath. Possibly an imprecation, it was followed by a more audible statement, one directed towards her friends, and only her friends. "We might want to take him up on the offer, at least while we figure out whether our homes are safe to go back to or not. We've got a touch of trouble either way, that's for sure. What say you?"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »
"Very well."
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
Kimbal shrugs.  "Whatever you say."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
While the friends were discussing their situation, the man who had been sent of earlier returned, pulling the leader to the side and having a whispered conversation, one that caused the leader of the thieves to grin more and more widely as the report went on.

When at last it finished, he turned to the four friends, face split with a smile that could be described as nothing so much as "greedy". "Well, good friends, it's nice to know a bit more about you. Well, more about one of you, at any rate." Here he turned towards Mevra. "You, my sweet charming girl, have just been blamed for a heinous murder that happened in full view of the public in the middle of the market today. They've even got your description being shouted out by the city criers. Your friends get a bit of a mention as well, but there's not nearly as much about them in there. Probably not as easy to pick out of a crowd."

He held his hand up for a moment, being told one last bit of information that had just occurred in his accomplice's memory. At which point he sent the accomplice off again. Clearly, important things were afoot. "By the by, that means you're completely innocent. The guard only gets a description out this quickly if someone's helping them with it. I do so love this city of ours. So, I've got a deal. You and your charmingly innocent group of friends give us a hand with our disappearing children, and I'll wave some of my fees as regards services you might need. Sound fair? I certainly think it does."

His face was open, expectant, and cheerful.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »
"Well, sir, that sounds like it scratches both of our itches. I think we have a deal, unless my friends have something to say to the contrary."

Mevra didn't trust the man, though she knew she had little choice. She and her allies needed to get to the bottom of their situation, and the price was going to be steep. Why, oh why, did they pick today to go for a walk?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »
"I don't trust this smooth talking ruffian one bit. But, he's offering us assistance..." She looked hard at him for a moment. "And, what, exactly, would be your fee for keeping us safe?"

The ruffian kept smiling, although at this point it looked a tiny bit forced. "Well, normally the going rate for my services is a gold piece or more per person per night. I'm quite a high quality inn, you see. But since you've agreed to help me, I'm sure I can waive the fee for the next day or two." His face grew angry, flushing red and hot. "And you'll have to hear from too many grieving mothers. Comfort them, and then help us get vengeance."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
"First step to hunting: know your prey. We know little. Must change that. I agree."
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »
"I don't believe in such large coincidences. There could be some correlation between our problem and your's, and I believe vengeance and justice will go hand-in-hand in both of these matters. Besides, I do not condone the taking or killing of children, and I would see these ones returned to their families alive."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
Having all reached a point of agreement, at least one that seemed acceptable, the friends followed the ruffian and his gang deeper into the most sordid parts of Setras Ra. Via twists and turns, made without the help of street lamps or, indeed, any visible form of identification, they were led to a ramshackle old building, tucked above a thin stream that seemed to serve as an open air sewer, at least by the smell.

It was, on the inside, surprisingly clean, although the gaps in the walls were large enough that one did not particularly have need of doors, and certainly had no privacy. There was also a trapdoor hidden in one back corner of the room, although aside from pointing it out, there was nothing else said about the matter. Whether it led away to safety, or was where they kept captives in secret was left entirely to the judgement of Kimbal and those with him.

Basic foodstuffs, little more than bread and some rancid butter, was handed them, along with water that was in no way the cleanest. After that they were left on their own, with little more than a promise that the ruffian would return, bringing with him at least one of the aggrieved mothers.

In terms of time, it now seemed to be close to the middle of the night, pitch black outside and with only the most minimal of candle stubs on the inside. It was, on the whole, a large comedown from where they had been one day previously.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 07:28:10 AM »
Cantra moved around the building, examining it in detail. "Are we sure we can't go back home? At least to get items to make this place livable?"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
Kat shook her head. "Only need what we can carry. All else will get stolen."
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
"Unless you want to see what secrets they're hiding the best plan is just to stay put." Kimbal says. 

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »
"Staying put means I have to live in this miserable place with its rotten walls and foul surroundings." Cantra tucked herself into a corner and went into a pout.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »
"I can deliver mail at night. Let family know we are safe." she suggests.
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
"See if you can find out if they know who we are? Or at least if they have visited our homes? Well, besides Mevra, that is."

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »
Mevra simply looks down, her face concerned.

"I got you three into this... somehow. I don't know what's going on, but it would have been better had I not been with you. It seems all a Necromancer is good for is courting death wherever they go."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
Cantra shrugs, sitting on the ground as she was. "Sounds like they're picking on you for a reason. And if you hadn't been with us, you might have gotten caught back there, so it's better you are with us. We don't let people, whomever they are, do this to our friends." She followed it up with a firm nod.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
Kimbal nods in agreement to what Cantra said.