Author Topic: T5: Introduction, Contents  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
T5: Introduction, Contents
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
T5:
After All, . . . Gandalf Did It

Introduction
        It was once said that Gandalf was a fifth-level magic-user. I won't debate the idea, having never developed an appreciation (or patience) for Tolkien's written trilogy, oddly despite reading (and enjoying to various degrees in parts) The Silmarillion. However, we might all agree that, definitionally, 20 levels are not necessary to breed enjoyment, variety; and, moreover, the fun action-and-or-intrigue gameplay that we might associate with D&D. The premise is simple: five fun-packed levels.

What is T5?
   T5 is a thorough errata document to the D&D 3.0-3.5 system supplementing the official errata issued by Wizards of the Coast. It is a descendant of E6 that, unlike its predecessor, includes substantial rules revisions in addition to a hard level maximum and feat progression changes.  T5 implements the hard level maximum at 5th level. The T5 system rules modifications include rewrites of all the base classes, from complete redesigns in order to make the classes viable with one another to minor adjustments such as the incorporation of features from the Dead Levels and Dead Levels II web enhancements issued by Wizards of the Coast.
   Additionally, it therefore goes without saying that all the work contained herein shall, for legal reasons, only contain Open Game Content, and will thus not include Product Identity as defined in the Open Game License: product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures; characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content. This project will attempt to be as clear as possible about its operations within these legal bounds, for instance providing the name but not the "abilities or effects" of a class mechanic with sufficient reference to locate the relevant information in a legal source of the text.
   T5 is also a work in progress. While this document was given an immense amount of thought, it is not guaranteed to address all loopholes or balance issues of the original system; nor is it guaranteed to not have its own new balance issues. As issues crop up, they can be addressed in updates to the T5 rules.

Why Revise E6?
   To put it simply, anyone who optimizes even a little bit can blow the precepts of E6 out of the water. CR 6 enemies can be taken out with ease and creatures with CRs upwards of 10 or even 12 can be demolished with one well-placed hit by several types of characters. T5 makes one bold move and several minor adjustments. The bold move is the reduction of the level maximum to 5th level. By avoiding 6th level, T5 enforces a limit on the number of abusive rules items in the game and makes each level a significant, tangible development for the character and player. While a level 5 character may not be unstoppable, she is clearly superior to a level 4 character.
        That said, I do not claim that T5 is without its flaws. It is a living project, and will change over time. Moreover, perhaps, it is expressly not intended for the CR system as it currently exists. That said, barring other flaws in the CR system, it is not a foreseen issue that T5 will not be compatible with some adjusted CR for proper encounters.

Contents
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:24:04 AM by Childe »
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline Seerow

• View Profile
Re: T5: Introduction, Contents
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »
With the change to level 5 from level 6, do you plan on changing sorcerer spell progression, or will spontaneous casters remain forever stuck with level 2 spells?

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »
Yes, sorcerers have been changed, as have a number of other casters. You can see all of the general class information here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1386.0
And you can view the PDF of the individual classes here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?afkotvovz180sh7 (link also in the class thread).
- The More You Know

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
Reviving this project slowly. EDIT: Well, this is ill-fated. I experienced a major hard drive issue 9/4/13. This is on hold while that's addressed. I do expect to resume one way or another, but this does delay my original target.

Major "per day" overhaul in progress to make T5 more exciting and curb the 15-minute workday. This overhaul will effect everything from Barbarians to Wizards and will most assuredly make all characters - and many monsters - stronger.

Also have a few specific classes that I will be redeveloping extensively to see about balancing the tiers ever so slightly. Note: I fully expect to miss several things in this process, but I'm one man doing this, so I don't have time to get to everything at once.

Goal is to re-host the post-overhaul Base Classes PDF by September 14, and the Prestige Classes PDF in the middle of October (there are hundreds of Prestige Classes I now need to revise from the original document, and I never even got around to tracking down another 200 or so).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:14:33 AM by Childe »
- The More You Know

Offline Cheiromancer

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
I'm glad to see that you are taking a fresh run at this project. Although it boggles the mind how much work it would require to give a T5 makeover to all the relevant classes and feats!

If you have the time I'd like to see a bit more about how T5 avoids the pitfalls of E6. It looks like a lot of the level 6 benefits (iterative attacks, 3rd level sorcerer spells, bonus feat) have just been moved down a level, and so it is hard to see the difference. Unless the difference is the "epic" feats? I am not sure how 5th level characters improve in T5 - or do they?

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:22:22 AM »
Greetings from 2016. This project appears stillborn in the 2011-2013 era. So he isn't, and you're right, it doesn't. If you're looking for a more balanced E6 without simply chopping off more levels, you should look into my C8 guidelines in the homebrew for character building I have linked in my sig.

Think nerfed casters staying slightly more on par with buffed mundane classes. It's simple, elegant, and easy to plug into any 3.5 game. It does assume that you're using all of the necessary 3.5 fixes (which I've listed nearby, and you should be using anyway).