Author Topic: The Burning Plague  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
The Burning Plague
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »
So, was thinking of running The Burning Plague module as a fun short adventure, with the campaign possibly heading into other short WotC modules if the players are interested. For those who don't know the module, it's for 4-6 level 1 PCs.

Story:
A sickness has come unto the simple mining community of Duvik’s Pass, poisoning their wells and blighting their crops. With the pestilence leaving the strongest men of the town’s guard a few short days away from death, the burden of descending into the mines and purging the wellspring of whatever evil has settled there falls to an intrepid band of adventurers. Can these noble heroes prevail within the depths of Duvik’s Pass, or will they too fall victim to the perils of The Burning Plague?

I'd be moving the setting into Arhosa, with all that that entails. Standard Arhosan rules apply (they're in the link above).

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: The Burning Plague
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »
Very possibly interested in this. I will try to wrap my brain around it and see if any inspiration strikes after I make my rounds in your other campaigns.
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:26:01 AM »
Oh good. I know sirpercival has told me he'll be playing as well (he and I chat on IRC a lot).

This is, as you can imagine, a do gooder campaign, so someone slightly less mercenary than Loire would be a good call :P

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »
Stratovarius bullied me into participating. So apparently I'm going to play a spellsinger or something.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:37:44 AM »
I just looked at the class, noticed it was one level long, and went back to looking. :P
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »
Stratovarius bullied me into participating. So apparently I'm going to play a spellsinger or something.

And he's bullying me into finishing the class. Or at least working on it till it has more content. :P

I just looked at the class, noticed it was one level long, and went back to looking. :P

Was building the class with/for Gazz, but then he went AWOL and so it got dropped to focus on Necromantic magic. Fleshgrafting/Vivisector is another class on the To Be Built list.

Still leaves plenty of classes out there, although 2 of the 3 ritual classes and all of the necromantic ones would be a hard sell as do-gooders.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:37:29 AM »
Considering either Flonha Ecclesiast -> Flonha Lifeweaver or a Caeth Martyr. I'll have to look at the Martyr class in detail later to really decide.

Of course, if Nanshork randomly becomes interested for some odd reason *cough cough* and wants to be a Martyr, I would have no problem being the Flonha providing him with a steady stream of health to work his magic. But that's strictly hypothetical ;)
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:12 AM »
That's actually banned by the Martyr class. The class can only heal hitpoints lost to rituals naturally, rather than via magical means. Which, admittedly, is a steep restriction that could probably be done away with. Was in place to stop ritual spam followed by a quick heal and more spamming. Although given there's a cap on how many hit dice he can be under at any given point, that's likely unnecessary.

Flonha's healing racial abilities has so far made it rather popular. Which means it's doing what it's supposed to - solve all the silly breaks for downtime healing that happen in campaigns.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »
What do you think about the osteogen fitting into this?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »
Should work fine - it's basically a shaman class that's somewhere between a druid and a cleric.

Always get the feeling I didn't quite go far enough in terms of new ideas when I made it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it, more just not quite as inventive as I normally like.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »
I just got bullied into looking at this game (nice innocent cough you have there sdk   :P). 

I don't want to be a Martyr, Strat is quite aware that I'm not a big fan of the classes suicidal mechanics.  (It's pretty balanced though, I helped make sure of that!)

A) I'm always drawn to play something evil when I look at Strat's classes.  B) I'm tired of level 1 characters.

I might join anyway though (yeah yeah, I'll probably join.  I'm addicted to PbP).

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
This should be a short one. I'm planning/hoping on having this campaign level up a bit faster than the others are moving. So less level 1ness.

I nagged Nanshork about being a Martyr for Setras Ra, he declined quite strongly then. Speaking of Setras Ra, go interview your weeping mothers! You're a town guard, act like it! :P

I do have a lot of evil classes. It suits me and my love of the undead.

By the way, if you want all the complexity of a high level character in a 1st level package, just pick the Historian. It'll give you schizophrenia! :D

It also looks like we're heading towards an all caster party. Martyr, Spellsinger, Ecclesiast, and Osteomancer is not exactly going to have a lot of martial prowess. In PHB terms, it's basically Cleric, Wizard, Cleric, Cleric/Druid. Except without the CoDzilla cheese.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:57:34 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »

See, this is why you should just nag me, like SirP. Spellsinger is complete out to 20 levels, and has about 20 more spellsongs to choose from, and a few new feats too. :P

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
Want me to be a caster too?  :P

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »

See, this is why you should just nag me, like SirP. Spellsinger is complete out to 20 levels, and has about 20 more spellsongs to choose from, and a few new feats too. :P

Now go finish Runecarving!  :P

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
Should work fine - it's basically a shaman class that's somewhere between a druid and a cleric.

Always get the feeling I didn't quite go far enough in terms of new ideas when I made it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it, more just not quite as inventive as I normally like.
if any inspiration as strikes, feel free to implement!

This should be a short one. I'm planning/hoping on having this campaign level up a bit faster than the others are moving. So less level 1ness.

I nagged Nanshork about being a Martyr for Setras Ra, he declined quite strongly then. Speaking of Setras Ra, go interview your weeping mothers! You're a town guard, act like it! :P

I do have a lot of evil classes. It suits me and my love of the undead.

By the way, if you want all the complexity of a high level character in a 1st level package, just pick the Historian. It'll give you schizophrenia! :D

It also looks like we're heading towards an all caster party. Martyr, Spellsinger, Ecclesiast, and Osteomancer is not exactly going to have a lot of martial prowess. In PHB terms, it's basically Cleric, Wizard, Cleric, Cleric/Druid. Except without the CoDzilla cheese.
Well, my other option was echocaller, which I could have played more gishy (as I can with osteomancy, to some extent), but 1st level echocaller kinda sucks.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »

Oh hell, that monstrosity? It's about 5x the size of Spellsong. If you really want me to, I can get it playable though. Well, more so. It's almost playable for level 1 now. Just give me a nudge if you're actually serious. :banghead

Well, my other option was echocaller, which I could have played more gishy (as I can with osteomancy, to some extent), but 1st level echocaller kinda sucks.

It's like a bad version of a ToB class, isn't it? Same kind of effect, more limited uses, weaker chassis. It's definitely a class that gets better, later, when it can copy itself and so on.

No one has actually ever played one that I know of, so these are the kind of things that get sorted as the class hits playtesting. Witness the Chronomancer getting a pile of new abilities when SDK started using one.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »

Oh hell, that monstrosity? It's about 5x the size of Spellsong. If you really want me to, I can get it playable though. Well, more so. It's almost playable for level 1 now. Just give me a nudge if you're actually serious. :banghead
Well, do you want an all caster party?  :p

It's like a bad version of a ToB class, isn't it? Same kind of effect, more limited uses, weaker chassis. It's definitely a class that gets better, later, when it can copy itself and so on.

No one has actually ever played one that I know of, so these are the kind of things that get sorted as the class hits playtesting. Witness the Chronomancer getting a pile of new abilities when SDK started using one.

*cough cough*

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »
Depends how you define caster. Runecarver isn't, really. He's a lot closer to a ToB class, since he uses his magic to be a martial heavy hitter. You'd definitely be the party beatstick if you went Runecarver.

And how the hell did I forget Kimbal was one? I think I remembered you being so focused on being a Vivisector I don't remember him as anything else. :facepalm

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »
Runecarving does look interesting to me.  I won't push you to make it playable but if you do I'll play one.

Point based casters just don't interest me much nowadays.