Author Topic: Game Thread  (Read 78994 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Game Thread
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
You find yourself in the small village of Telger, near the western border of Bjorin. Telger is most notable for being the half-way point between Daern (southwest coastal city) and Miahrans (northwest mining city), and sits on a major road, as a result. There are a relatively large amount of inns, taverns, and other attractions for such a small town. Telger is located in the Taren Forest, and trees (primarily fir and pine) are visible from pretty much any point of the town. A small river runs through the town, and is crossed by three bridges.

In the center of the town is a large square. The ground is covered in packed dirt from all of the foot traffic. This area is typically used for markets, festivals, and meetings. The major north-south road passes along the western edge of the square. The two temples of Pelor and Ehlonna, the town hall, and the barracks are all located here. Pretty much anything of interest happens in or around this point (or, perhaps in the taverns).

Around 9:00 in the morning, you find yourself in or near the town square. The sky is overcast, and the day has a relatively cool start for a mid-August morn. People are going about their business. A few carts are set up in the square, and people are bartering and selling their wares. The smell of fresh baked bred and cinnamon fill the air. Enough people are talking that it's pretty much impossible to pick anything out at a distance.

Suddenly, the peace of the crowd is interrupted by the sound of heavy-booted feet running and urgent yells. The crowd turns toward the road leading up to the square and to the barracks. Six soldiers wearing green tabards and black pants come running up to the square. Four of them are carrying two others on stretchers, and it's obvious that two of the four running have been injured. They are met by a seventh guard from the barracks.

Leading guard of the six: "Out of the way! Out of the way!"

Guard from the barracks: "What happened!?"

"We went east, out into the woods to look for Karl. As we expected, he was with some gnolls. What we didn't realize was that there were two more waiting behind trees. They ambushed us. They killed Ulrik and Rolf isn't much better. We managed to kill one or two of them, then both sides retreated."

"Son of a bitch. I knew we should have run Karl out of town earlier..." The guard from the barracks walks up to one of the two stretchers and says something inaudible.

"So, what do we do now? We can't go back like this, but we can't just leave her, either."

"... With the war, we're already stretched light on manpower as it is. Losing one or two more men on top of that isn't helping things."

A man dressed in fine clothes comes running up to the guards: "You're damn right you can't just leave her! I'll triple your pay! Get out there! Pelor knows what they've done to her!"

"It's not that simple. It's not a matter of pay. You can load our pockets with platinum and it won't make a bit of difference when steel meets flesh out there. They were ready for us the first time, and being down two men and injured on top of that, we won't fare any better."

"Goddammit, you're useless!" The well-dressed man is fuming, and you can see his face turning red from where you are standing.

He turns his back on the guards. They begin tending to the wounded. The square stands eerily silent for some time, and the cold morning breeze picks back up, stirring some of the trampled dust.

At this point, describe what your character looks like and how s/he is responding. Note: if you say anything in character, make it a different color, so what's said in-character stands out from everything else. Each person pick a different color.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Kenderbrained

• "You can't take the sky from me"
    • View Profile
Re: Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »
Going to observe the situation.  Probably "walk" over to where the guy is tending the wounded, sniff around and listen to the well dressed man as best as I can. 
"We'll either leave our footprints in a field of ash, or go out in a blaze of glory" ~Gadalar, FFXI <3

Offline ZanKhellendros

• ~ A fool's paradise or a wise man's hell? ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
Moving through the crowd a looming figure, at almost 7 feet tall, approaches the finely dress man. A male orc, one of the biggest you have ever seen, his black hair cut in a mohawk. The left half of his head has an awful scar across it (looks like a burn which you can also see signs of on his left hand) the right side of his head has an elaborate tattoo which looks like it has some words written in orcish. His face also has numerous other scars of dozens of healed injuries. His eyes are a white that makes you think he is blind but he seems to have vision by the way he moves about.  He is armored in full plate mail and has a heavy steel shield. Slung over his cloaked shoulders is a backpack, a bastard sword and some javelins. Carrying with him he has a another bastard swords on his belt along with a few daggers. You can also see a couple daggers sheathed in his boots. Over one shoulder he has some kind of sack, that looks more like a sling for an arm but much larger, inside looks like it has a few orcish shot puts. He has other miscellaneous gear on his person.

He stops a few feet in front of the man and speaks
"I will bring death to the gnolls for you human"
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else"~ Albert Einstein
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right"~ThomasPaine
"One may transcend any convention if only one could conceive of doing so"~CloudAtlas

Offline DarkStar387

• Damn Skippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »
After watching the commotion with the guards a 5'8' tall figure moves to intercept the well dressed man as he turns away from the crowd. His appearance looks Elvish but with strong human features with small tuffs of hair growing along his jaw line.  His hair is matted in red clay, rolled into dreadlocks and shaved into a Mohawk that flows down to his shoulders; showing a missing tip to his left ear and his pale blue eyes. His skin is tanned and weathered looking, like he's spent most of his life outside in the elements and his body is covered in blue druidic tattoos and scars. Hes dressed in an assortment of hides, furs, bones and a simple gray cloak. Hes carrying a a simple backpack  and a dark-wood quarter staff at his side that is also carved with blue ink markings.

Noticing a tall orc approaching the man as well he hesitates just a moment to hear what the orc says before stepping up to join the conversation.

"Tell me about this girl and what I can do to help."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:21:15 PM by DarkStar387 »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »
The man first looks to the orc : "Well, if anyone is fit to bring death to the gnolls, it would appear to be you."

He then looks to the wild half elf: "My daughter was taken just before dinner, last night. The last person seen in the area is some lowlife named Karl. He's been seen in the company of gnolls outside of town, before, although he's never caused trouble in town. The guards will be able to provide you with more useful information than I."

He then takes a step back, addressing the crowd. He turns as he speaks, making sure everyone can hear him: "Attention! Anyone who is able to bring back my daughter will be amply rewarded! I will pay 250 gold to anyone who is able to bring her back safely!"
My creations

Offline kalel78

• Lurker
  • May the power of the winds guide me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
In the crowd stands a 6' 110 pound Human male equipped with a Long Bow, along with a wand of some kind.  He hears the offer and starts to walk over to the man addressing the crowd.  He pauses for just a brief moment as he notices the large orc and half-elf and then continues toward the man addressing the crowd.

Upon arriving, he states "Sir.  I will gladly accept your offer.  My name is Kale WindMaker, at your service.  To whom am i speaking?"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:03:57 PM by kalel78 »
Gotta go with uno pistola for myself. Remember Han Solo saved Lando, killed Boba Fett and escaped the sarlaac with only one pistol and he was BLIND. Give a smuggler 2 pistols and eyesight and I'm fairly certain they would solo the Death Star while hitting on your sister and balancing the fed budget

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:12:01 PM »
He looks at the tall, lithe human approaching: "My name is Henrik Koen. My daughter, Anneka was taken yesterday. She is but ten years old. Despite looking like a delicate doll, she has always been brave and tough, yet, I fear the worst..."
My creations

Offline kalel78

• Lurker
  • May the power of the winds guide me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:46:38 AM »
He looks at the tall, lithe human approaching: "My name is Henrik Koen. My daughter, Anneka was taken yesterday. She is but ten years old. Despite looking like a delicate doll, she has always been brave and tough, yet, I fear the worst..."

Upon hearing above, Kale becomes visibly distraught. However, he takes a moment to calm himself then says to Henrik, "I am very sorry to hear that Henrik.  Normally I would accept your offer of 250 gold..  However, because your daughter is only 10, i will take on this job at no charge.  Where was your daughter last seen and was she with anyone?"
Gotta go with uno pistola for myself. Remember Han Solo saved Lando, killed Boba Fett and escaped the sarlaac with only one pistol and he was BLIND. Give a smuggler 2 pistols and eyesight and I'm fairly certain they would solo the Death Star while hitting on your sister and balancing the fed budget

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:24:10 AM »
I approach the leader of the soldiers wearing green tabards and black pants from the injured patrol (the red speaker) " Somewhere east of town in the woods I overheard but where precisely did the battle take place? Any other details that could aid us would hasten his reaping of their souls. Anything known about this Karl Human? How many gnolls remain? Which direction did they retreat to? "
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else"~ Albert Einstein
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right"~ThomasPaine
"One may transcend any convention if only one could conceive of doing so"~CloudAtlas

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:42:30 AM »
Henrik shakes Kale's hand: "Thank you! My daughter was last seen on our property before dinner. That lowlife Karl was seen near the property around then, too, but no one saw him take her. Still, he's been seen with gnolls outside of town, and the group attacked the guards."

The guard looks up from the others he's tending to the orc towering above him: "One of us can bring you to the spot of the battle, but we won't be able to send any men to help fight. We saw Karl with a total of four gnolls, including the two that ambushed us. We dropped two of them and they were left behind when the others retreated, but it's possible they're still alive. We could not verify. The survivors retreated further east into the forest. There are no settlements or anything else of note out east of here, although the gnolls must be staying somewhere. We're not sure how many in total live out there, but we've never seen more than four or five together at any given point. They sometimes come to town to trade.

Karl has largely been harmless. A lot of our town's business comes from tourism from all the people traveling between Daern and Miahrans. Karl is a street performer who seems to know some minor magic. Over time, he developed a reputation as a cheat at both any games he would run and also in any where he's play. No one ever caught him, but no one who knows him trusts him, either. So, up until this point, he hasn't overtly broken any laws. Early this morning, however, he pulled his bow and fought with the gnolls against us. So, if nothing else, he is now wanted for attacking the soldiers."
My creations

Offline Kenderbrained

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »
A small voice calls above the din of the conversation....

"And what of this Karl, what would you have us do with him?  Is his worth more if only his head were to return?

If you look down you'd see a small striking female weaving her way to where the fine dressed gentleman stands addressing the others.  Standing only 4'8", with a long lithe body, she has tanned skin with midnight black hair, straight to the shoulders with whips of bangs falling partially in her deep purple, wide, eyes. 

Moving gracefully through, she is wearing black leather pants, soft black leather boots that fall just below the knee, a soft billowy light purple shirt with a black leather vest buttoned overtop.  There's a glint of metal beneath both of those.  She carries a worn black back-pack, with a small slender rapier affixed to her left hip, and a small abnormal looking crossbow on the right hip...dangling from a belt appears to be tiny little containers with small bolts in them.  A small silver chain with a quarter sized amethyst hangs around her neck and she carries a small black cat curled in the crook of her arm.

Moving up to stand before Henrik she asks So how many pieces do you need the body returned in?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:54:15 AM by Kenderbrained »
"We'll either leave our footprints in a field of ash, or go out in a blaze of glory" ~Gadalar, FFXI <3

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »
Henrik looks to the small woman and lowers his voice so that only she can hear:

(click to show/hide)

His voice then raises a bit: "...but my priority is getting my daughter back. Other than that, you'll have to see if the guards have any say in the matter. You don't need to get in trouble on my behalf."
My creations

Offline DarkStar387

• Damn Skippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
After listening about the mans missing daughter, He looks at the man to say

"I will also join the hunt for your daughter."

he makes is way over to the guards and over hears the conversation between the large Orc and the guard.   Hearing that Karl was a street performer He looks to one of the guards to ask

"Where  did Karl liked to do his act, or did he frequented any of the local taverns?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
Henrik replies to the half-elf: "Thank you. May Pelor watch over you all, as well as my daughter."

The guard looks up as the half-elf approaches: "Like most people, Karl would always try for a spot in the square, or failing that, along the major North-South road that runs up the west side of the square. No one really has a 'spot' in the square. It's first-come-first-serve.

As for taverns, he's probably been in and out of all of them at some point, but you'd be most likely to see him in one of two places: Iron Jack's and Kelda's. Iron Jack's attracts a bit of a rough crowd. It's run by someone originally from out of town. Karl liked to play cards or dice there. Kelda's is probably the nicest place you can eat here, if you have a taste for local Bjorin food. It's pricey, and he apparently had the money."
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
"One of us can bring you to the spot of the battle, but we won't be able to send any men to help fight. We saw Karl with a total of four gnolls

Talking to both the Gaurd and to Henrik Koen
"So Human Karl was seen in the area just before the girl went missing but wasn't seen during her suspected abduction. And when you confronted the gnolls and Human Karl in the woods the girl wasn't seen with them either but you have seen gnolls in groups of five so the ones you fought for sure are not the only dogs from their den."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
"Correct. We never technically saw her abducted, but Karl was our best lead. The only information we have regarding his possible involvement was that he was seen right outside the property heading toward the east side of town with something over his shoulder. A guard saw him leave the city around dinner time carrying a large bag over his shoulder, although he felt it was on the small side for holding a person. Granted, she is only ten years old. Anyway, Karl is our best lead, so we went after him. Before we had a chance to talk to him, we were ambushed by gnolls, and he joined in the fight."

The guard pulls you a bit away from Henrik. Any standing near by can hear:
(click to show/hide)

He then speaks up: "I can send Erik here with you. He can bring you to the spot of the battle and answer your questions. Once he does so, he will have to return. We're short-staffed as it is."
My creations

Offline ZanKhellendros

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 05:13:44 PM »
"The details you have provided are all I require before I set off. Your man will return to defend your people. I will destroy them and bring the girl if she is with them. Human Karl will be returned for questioning otherwise if able. I would suggest you seek out and follow other avenues of investigation while we are taking care of this for you."

I look to Erik "Guide on"

I turn to the others who have offered assistance " Human Kale, Half-elf, Gnome are any of you three able to track?"

Offline Kenderbrained

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »
I am no gnome you over-sized cutting board smiling I am Kit, and yes my cats are able to help in that regard

Offline DarkStar387

• Damn Skippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
Looks over to the large Orc and nodes

"Aye, I can track them. Gnolls leave an easy trail to follow if you know where to look, they wont make it far."

He looks at the others that have offered to help.

"the name's Vájinn" he says with a slight bow to his head but never breaking eye contact.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
  • Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
Erik stands up from tending to the wounded: "We should probably head out pretty soon, then. We can get to where we were ambushed in under an hour."

He slings his green and black shield over his back, checks his sword in his scabbard and grabs his crossbow.

OOC: unless there's anything else you need here, the group can head on out. You can do anymore introductions on the road if you don't have any more questions/need anything.
My creations