Author Topic: Offensive outsider: Calumos  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Inuyasha

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
    • My player homebrew blog, with races spells magic items n classes
Offensive outsider: Calumos
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
Calumos
Diminutive outsider (incorporeal, chaotic, evil, extraplanar, Tana'ri)
Hit Dice:1d8+0 (4hp)
Initiative:+9
Speed:Fly 40ft (perfect)
Armor Class:20 (+4 size, +2 dex, +4 deflection), Flat footed 18, touch 20
Base Attack/Grapple:+1/-
Attack:Incorporeal gnaw (1d2 cha)
Full Attack:Incorporeal gnaw +3 (1d2 cha)
Space/Reach:2.5ft/0ft
Special Attacks:Incorporeal gnaw, bond
Special Qualities:Immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10 fire 10 and cold 10, telepathy 60ft, SR 15,
Saves:Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities:Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 18
Skills:Profession (scribe) +8*, perform (dramatic reading) +8, Knowledge (the planes) +6, Craft (bookbinding) +8*, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +8, Decipher script (+6), Listen* +8, Spot* +8
Feats:Ability focus (Incorporeal Gnaw)B, Improved initiative
Environment:A chaotic evil aligned plane
Organization:Solitary
Challenge Rating:1/2
Treasure:none
Alignment:Always chaotic evil
Advancement:2-4 (diminutive), 6-10 tiny, 10-20 small
Level Adjustment:-
*Skills noted with an asterisk may be used with the Calumos's charisma modifier.
The Calumos (plural Calumi) is a small puff of glowing smoke, with a small ring of teeth that randomly changes position on the body. They are a type of demon that form bonds with living beings through writing. They inspire writers to write evil, dark, or surreal things. Many famous authors have been possessed by a Calumos without even knowing it (examples include H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, and Stephen King). They lie silently floating by the ear or hid behind a nearby object (such as a mug, or within a desk drawer), and whisper dark thoughts into it, which then go onto the paper. Not only do they inspire people to write awful things, they enhance their writing abilities as well, causing them to use larger and more words than a member of their race would normally know.
Calumi speak Abyssal, Common, Undercommon, and Draconic
Combat
Calumi avoid conflict whenever possible, usually hiding in any place where they can't be hit. But if they are completely forced into combat with no way out, they will use their Incorporeal gnaw on whomever they can tell is a fighter or barbarian.

Incorporeal gnaw (Su)
When in melee, a Calumos can use it's incorporeal gnaw, biting off a little bit of the opponents spirit. They must make a will save (DC 16) or take 1d2 charisma damage. If this ability succeeds, the Calumos may choose to use bond (see below) however it does not have to, and it frequently doesn't

Bond (Su)
If a Calumos chooses to bond, then the person it's bonded to gains additional abilities. They gain the ability to use profession (scribe), perform (dramatic reading), craft (bookbinding), and knowledge (the planes) at the same bonus as the Calumos (usually +8) unless their bonus is already higher, in which case they get a +4 profane bonus on those skills (this bonus is equal to the Calumos's charisma bonuses, and it changes if the Calumos's changes). They are also in telepathic communication with the Calumos, no matter how far away they are, and they gain the ability to write a book, novel, or poem in half the regular time due to the Calumos giving them ideas. If the host of the Calumos wants to, it can make a special perform (dramatic reading) check 3 times a day (DC 15) to cause fear as a 10th level sorcerer.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:25:03 PM by Inuyasha »
I take requests for homebrews and stuff, im good with monsters, races, templates, & spells

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Offensive outsider: Calumos
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »
I f they're incorporeal grapple modivier should be - because they cant grapple (or in this case -15 if it somehow can).

Is this a tanar'ri, obyrith or loumara, or just a generic demon like the abyssal maw?

Offline Inuyasha

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
    • My player homebrew blog, with races spells magic items n classes
Re: Offensive outsider: Calumos
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »
Wow this was from forever ago! I'm trying to get back into homebrewing, I've been so focused on school and such that I've completely foregotten! Some revisions are being made.
I take requests for homebrews and stuff, im good with monsters, races, templates, & spells