Author Topic: Rescue at Rivenroar (Game Thread Continued)  (Read 180710 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue at Rivenroar (Game Thread Continued)
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »
Tanthalus shakes his head.  "Be nice to the poor creatures, what did those rats ever do to you?"

Finished with tending the wounds of his companions, he then looks to the others for guidance.  "Where do we go from here?"

Offline Inspectre

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »
Hrm . . . that was very strange.  Galadren was finding it hard to hear - ESPECIALLY with someone talking to him - but he could have sworn he heard whimpering on the other side of the door.  Rats squeaked - they did *not* whimper.  But it could have just as easily been a gust of wind as well.

"Well, they were making it hard to hear if there was anyone waiting to ambush us beyond this door.  Much like someone asking me why I was shooing the rats."

Galadren drawled, shooting Tanthalus a dirty look.  After a moment, the elf's annoyance vanished into an easy-going grin as he hooked a thumb at the doorway.

"I heard . . . something that wasn't a rat.  May just have been the wind though.

In his more rash youth, Galadren would have simply yanked the door open and faced whatever was on the other side - even if it was merely an empty room.  Now a bit more cautious, Galadren kept the door closed while he did something that may led to more ridicule than charging into an empty room.  He talked to the silence on the other side of the door.

"Hey - if there's anyone there and you can hear me, make a noise.  Now stop.  Now make a noise again."

Having the noise suddenly start and stop on command should rule out whether it was just the wind, or an animal.  It could still be a goblin having some fun with him, in which case Galadren hoped the little bugger was having a good laugh because Galadren was going to choke him to death with his bare hands when he saw him.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• Honorary Mod
  • TPK's are my business, and business is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 12:33:19 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Wisdom has two parts; having a lot to say, and not saying it.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
Dunor scratches at his beard. He walks cautiously over to one of the sarcophagi, and begins examining it. He can't quite seem to find what is so interesting about the thing, though he seems intent on finding out.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 07:53:48 AM »
Dunor attempts to use his athletic training to combine strength and proper form to move the sarcophagus lid, against his earlier judgement. He's still not sure why, but something is nagging him about the situation.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 07:52:01 AM »
Dunor pushes the lid with a grunt and slowly it slides to reveal it's contents. The expected hiss of air does not occur as the sarcophagus was not sealed well. The skeleton inside molders away and the damp smell increases in the room. Most of its clothing and belongings have long since rotted or rusted away except for two things. It was interred wearing leather armor that looks like it was oiled just yesterday and beside it a crossbow of fine wood with several metal knobs on its side. Both should have long since been destroyed by time as well.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
Speaking to no one in particular, Dunor says, "Hmm, this corpse's equipment must be magic, or else it's preserved especially well. And it would be a shame for it to go to waste... Though I hate the idea of stealing from the long-dead, it's not so different from looting the recently-dead..."

Looking back at the party, he asks, "Are any of you familiar with magically-enchanted objects? Can you tell if these are magic or just in extremely good condition?"

Dunor proceeds to check another sarcophagus for lavish goods, encouraged by the first find.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »
The lid slides aside with a large effort, grinding stone on stone. The sarcophagus is engraved with more sinister runes than the last but the date indicates that this body was interred, over a thousand years ago. The skeleton is in worse shape than the first, nearly dust in some parts, yet one item gleams up from the decay. A rod of some silvery metal inscribed with similar runes as the coffin. At the scepter's head is a black stone that almost swirls on the inside. Looking at it you have to tear your eyes away as you feel it pulling you into its murky depths.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Inspectre

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »
Turning his head at the sound of stone grinding on stone, Galadren watches as Dunor opens first one sarcophagi, and then another.
Inside are, predictably enough, the remains of people - but also some items that had to be magical given their quality and condition.
For a moment, Galadren hesitates as he recalls how it felt to be resurrected, only to find that all of his priceless gear had been unceremoniously stripped from his body by tomb robbing adventurers at some point.  That moment quickly passes as his shoulder where the hobgoblin arrow had hit twinges in pain - they needed this stuff more, right now.  Galadren could always return it later, right?

"I'll take that - you guys can have the rest."

Galadren says as he eagerly snatches up the crossbow, experimenting with the winch and knobs with the same glee a child might have for a new toy.
Finally, the elf looks back up, sighting along the emptied crossbow as he does so.

"Looks like we've got three choices as to where to go next - the doors that I heard rats and something else behind, the painting room, and that stairway over there.  Which way are we going first?"

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 07:07:14 AM »
"I've got a good idea which way, but first we should check these last two sarcophagi for equipment. There may be more where that nice crossbow came from. I could use some help, thoug; these are really heavy, even for me."

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »
(click to show/hide)

The group works to slide open the other lids of the sarcophagi. Like the previous two stone coffins, these also contain the remains of long deceased members of the Rivenroar family in very advanced stages of decay. Unlike the previous stone internments, their possessions did not fair as well and have along since rotted away to time.

Offline Bartholomew

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
"I'd say the ones closest to us."

Shandien replies. He then proceeds to open the southern doors without much caution, affirmed that whatever Galadren heard were no more than rats.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:09:54 PM by Bartholomew »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
Dunor carefully removes the leather armor from the corpse, and begins looking it over to assess its quality. He motions for someone else to take a look at the ornate, silvery rod.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 01:49:12 AM »
I'll peek at the rod if no one else wants to.

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 01:56:42 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:35:37 AM by Melblen_Cairn »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
Dunor looks around briefly, then carefully removes his leather tunic and replaces it with the new one, being sure to shake the corpse-dust free from it first. Despite the initial stinging sensation, it definitely seems better-made than his hole-riddled, tattered armor.

Offline Inspectre

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
When Shandien throws open the door, Galadren jumps and brings the unloaded crossbow he had been examining up out of reflex.

"Try not to do that before we're all ready."

Galadren grumbles as he slings the new crossbow across his back and brandishes his old one.
He would need a bit more time to get used to that weapon, and until he had seen how it fired at some practice targets, he didn't want to try to use it, particularly as it looked to have a heavier winch and drawstring than his current one did.  (Looking forward to level 2 so I can take Superior Crossbow Proficiency feat! :)  )

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »
Carrying his weapon, ready in hand, Dunor follows his party's example and scouts out the new room.

Offline Melblen_Cairn

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 11:13:46 PM »
Stalking down the hall and rounding on the corner the room is mostly dark. The far wall has a dimly candlelit alter. Tied to its based is a wild eyed human female, terrified to almost catatonia as rats crawl over her. In the darkness near the ceiling of the chamber, four set of glowing amber feline eyes seem to stare in Dunor's direction.