Author Topic: Old OOC Discussion Thread  (Read 38362 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
So have I got my hands free?

And how thick are these chains, anyway?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
How close am I to the sleeping guard, and do I theoretically believe I can reach him and choke him out with my chain before being noticed?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
How close am I to the sleeping guard, and do I theoretically believe I can reach him and choke him out with my chain before being noticed?

You're going to choke a guy with the chain around your legs that's keeping you in line with everyone else and your hands bound?

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »
@Raineh: Yes, your hands are free, thanks to your assassin-monk training and manual dexterity.

The gauge of the heavy chain is fairly thick, somewhere around 0.5 cm or 0.25 in. The chain is looped through manacles binding your feet, though the chain between your legs isn't particularly short or restrictive in length. They probably figure it's enough restraint combined with all the other security measures that their prisoners wouldn't risk drowning.

@bhu: Your boat is probably about 15 feet from the ship, connected by the thick rope. If you could get free, there are ways you could get to the ship and enact your attack plan, but you'd have trouble doing so silently without the assistance of your fellow captives. Even then, as Raineh mentioned, you're still chained to everyone else as well. I would still like to see you choke the guy out with the chain. :D

The reason I opened this way was to see how you guys think or act individually and/or as a group, and how creative you will get to solve your problem. There are a number of ways to get free, though you could just as easily stay in chains and wait to see what happens naturally. I have no interest in railroading you guys, though there will obviously be certain circumstances and obstacles depending on what you guys do. I am absolutely pleased to alter my plans on the fly and adapt to how you guys choose to approach things, sandbox style. While I know what events are happening in the background, it could be that your characters choose to go their separate ways and become dairy farmers or bankers or something, though that might not make for the most exciting adventures.  ;)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
Hmm... could I use Water Whip to break the chain for me? Given what it is, it would be totally unremarkable in this environment even in the worst-case scenario. 3d10 bludgeoning damage... but it can almost immediately yank someone 25' if they fail a save. Should be able to break the chain and let me slip free, despite the manacles.

... also, if I do get free and can make the jump, can I drop kick the second guard across the gap? >.>

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »
Are my hands free? If so, I'd like to help her out with taking out the guards.
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
Where is the Dark Elf and I? Depending on location, we should be able to take care of it without too much hassle.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
I think, from implication, they're across the gap on the other ship.

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
I understand that, but the question is more "Where are we in the chain?"

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
Does it really make much difference where we are if we're both free, Gamagoori? :P

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
... Perform(Comedy) won't work? But I was only in my bonds for comedic effect, and I escaped right when it was comically appropriate!

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »
also, making retroactive roll to have my rings on me.... 16 and 20

And true.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
Okay, I have to wonder what sort of clothes this priest is wearing. That overly ruffled doublet thing? Those rolls. O_o

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »
Hmm... could I use Water Whip to break the chain for me? Given what it is, it would be totally unremarkable in this environment even in the worst-case scenario. 3d10 bludgeoning damage... but it can almost immediately yank someone 25' if they fail a save. Should be able to break the chain and let me slip free, despite the manacles.

... also, if I do get free and can make the jump, can I drop kick the second guard across the gap? >.>

Water Whip might have a hard time breaking the chain, but it's certainly possible. It would likely make a lot of noise. You do have some thieves' tools that might help get you free, though, and probably more quietly, though it may take a lot longer with just a file and narrow scissors. But all your options are open to you. If you can make it up there in a single leap, you can absolutely make the attempt to kick the second guard down the back of the ship, assuming you have the actions to do so.

I understand that, but the question is more "Where are we in the chain?"

The dinghy is fairly cramped, so you're well within 5-10 feet of each other. I'd say you're facing each other on opposite sides of the boat. These captors probably thought it would be funny.

Rings probably would have been taken as valuables, sorry Michael.

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »
Splint mail, actually..... if we're still wearing armor. Otherwise I'd say it's in my boots or yeah, some padded shirt to prevent discomfort from armor.

-edit-

awwwww.....

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »
Step of the Wind takes no actions, and gives me the right jump. And with the rules as they are, I think I could make the jump without wasting any actions?

You'd let the tools I have work? I thought that the file wouldn't. Well, trying that... :lmao

This good enough to break free?

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Hmm, I suppose you could have slipped your rings off, but hiding them effectively in splint mail may make retrieving them pretty difficult without removing the armor. The size of such rings might also make them stick out a bit too much in boots, and you would not have had the time to make them inconspicuous there. If you hid them beneath your armor, you could take the time to remove the armor, but that takes time as well. You may have enough time to do so, but you won't know.

Step of the Wind takes no actions, and gives me the right jump. And with the rules as they are, I think I could make the jump without wasting any actions?

You'd let the tools I have work? I thought that the file wouldn't. Well, trying that... :lmao

This good enough to break free?
The tools you have would be difficult to work for this purpose, but the file could, conceivably, eventually saw through the chain. It would make noise unless you try to be quiet about it, which would double the time it takes to get through the chain. I won't require a check for this use, since it doesn't take much skill to use a saw/file.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
Yeah, I'll double the time and quietly work away. And I'll make a post about it once my router is rebooted. <.<

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »
Step of the Wind will give you the extra Dash/hustle action, basically a bonus move you can use in conjunction with your turn's actions (moving and an action; you could use Step of the Wind to move twice in a round, basically, at the expense of not using flurry of blows or some of the other ki options). You could combine this with the double jump distance, but keep in mind the amount of space available in the boat. You won't have an unobstructed 10-feet of movement; the boat is at least 10 feet long, however, and we'll say the space is difficult terrain to move in. This might give you enough space to make the jump, since it's both a high and long jump.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »
Lesse, given the constraints, my movement speed, and Step of the Wind (giving me a 26' long jump), can I make the jump and still have my normal action complement around to be violent?

Really hope the other elf was speaking Elvish. <.<