Author Topic: Ancient Temple-ToB for dual wielding with elegance and slicing almost everything  (Read 29288 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
A good gardener doesn't improve by getting fancier cutting tools. A good gardener improves by bettering themselves.

Aka, Deva Realm's God Swords (damn, that's a lousy picture I had posted for that one, replaced it, plus the one for disappearing elegance since I was at it).

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
And by bettering yourself you also better the weapons you've been carrying the whole time. Founding a legacy has an XP cost for a reason (on top of the other odd costs).

I am half surprised you haven't made a gardener class yet. XD

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
And by bettering yourself you also better the weapons you've been carrying the whole time. Founding a legacy has an XP cost for a reason (on top of the other odd costs).

No you don't, you just learn how to wield them better like Os said :p
The XP cost of founding a legacy is more akin to creating a supernatural bond with the item than outright making it better through magical enchantment, the making it better is just a side-product of the bond (and yeah of course those two things sound like the same thing but the difference is still there), and you've already got a supernatural bond with your Youkai-forged Blades.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:21:26 PM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
It can always be more bonded!

I WILL GLUE THEM TO MY HANDS.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Eat your swords! Roll a gardening check!

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Small question: Disappearing Elegance targets all opponents within a radius. Its not an area of effect, its just the range that is a radius (so neither a burst nor a spread). Is it meant to affect all opponents regardless of LoE and/or LoS, as long as they are within range?

Slashing a Flower Upon One's Head's range is currently 'breath attack'.

Deva Realm's God Swords grants both blades enhancement bonus equal to 2/3 ranks, which will probably be 12 at 18 ranks (15th level is the minimum to get the stance). When the sum of enhancements is higher than 10, the weapon automatically becomes an epic one. Just making sure that was intended since although the weapon is epic it is still limited to a maximum enhancement bonus to atk/dmg rolls of +5.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
I figured that was exactly how Disappearing Elegance was meant to work, I even used it as such to attack enemies on the other side of a wall I was hiding behind in the opening battle of the Phantasy Star game. Mind you we were outside so it wasn't like I was teleporting through anything. I assume Disappearing Elegance basically works as being able to attack anything within the radius you could reach through normal movement but without moving like how the maneuver implies.
you disapear from sight as you move at an incredible speed

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
As Ketaro said.

Fixed bad breath typos.

Yes, Deva Realm swords are supposed to count as epic.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
I got reminded of this cool homebrew discipline when thinking about some other stuff and that made me actually read it a bit more closely. Thus I have two questions:

If you have 4 or more Ranger levels, you may swap your Animal Companion for the ability to learn more Ancient Temple maneuvers and stances.
How many?

and recover each exended maneuver as a fullround action
Do you mean full-round action per expanded maneuver or full-round action for all expanded maneuvers?

Also, I'd like to refluff the discipline to not be Touhou themed. Any good ideas what skill to replace Profession (gardener) with and how to change the fluff of some of the maneuvers that create mini-gardens or flower petals?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:51:13 PM by ImperatorK »
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile

If you have 4 or more Ranger levels, you may swap your Animal Companion for the ability to learn more Ancient Temple maneuvers and stances.
How many?
It's on the next part, "At 4th level, and every Ranger level thereafter, you may remove a spell from your list of spells known to learn an Ancient Temple maneuver or stance of a level no bigger than half your Ranger level, rounded up." So basically one plus another per extra Ranger level.

and recover each exended maneuver as a fullround action
Do you mean full-round action per expanded maneuver or full-round action for all expanded maneuvers?
One fullround action per maneuver, a la Swordsage.

Also, I'd like to refluff the discipline to not be Touhou themed. Any good ideas what skill to replace Profession (gardener) with and how to change the fluff of some of the maneuvers that create mini-gardens or flower petals?
Depends entirely on the campaign and character's theme you want I guess. You could go Profession(cook) and leave behind meals. Or Profession (house designer) and leave behind furniture and decorations. Or profession (blademaster) and leave behind artistic slashes across the terrain and tiny sliced pieces instead of petals.

Basically any kind of profession that would involve bladed tools.

(click to show/hide)

You could change it to a non-profession skill, but then it would not only be a refluff but actually a bit of power up if it ended up being a skill that matters for other important stuff like Spot/Listen. Also would make it harder to think of something to alter terrain into.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
It's on the next part, "At 4th level, and every Ranger level thereafter, you may remove a spell from your list of spells known to learn an Ancient Temple maneuver or stance of a level no bigger than half your Ranger level, rounded up." So basically one plus another per extra Ranger level.
Oh. I thought that's a seperate thing.

Depends entirely on the campaign and character's theme you want I guess. You could go Profession(cook) and leave behind meals. Or Profession (house designer) and leave behind furniture and decorations. Or profession (blademaster) and leave behind artistic slashes across the terrain and tiny sliced pieces instead of petals.

Hm. That "must involve bladed tools" makes it a little limited. I would say "Craft (basketweaving)" if it wasn't for that. :D

(click to show/hide)
Ya, I know. It's not like I dislike Touhou or Youmu (she's actually my favorite) or think the gardening flavor is uncool. I just like to have options.

You could change it to a non-profession skill, but then it would not only be a refluff but actually a bit of power up if it ended up being a skill that matters for other important stuff like Spot/Listen. Also would make it harder to think of something to alter terrain into.
Nah. I'd change it just for different flavor to skills that aren't used much.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile

Hm. That "must involve bladed tools" makes it a little limited. I would say "Craft (basketweaving)" if it wasn't for that. :D

Profession (Lumberjack), or (Carpenter), or... your YFB can be axes. <.<

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Profession (Seamstress), your swords are now crochet needles.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Question relating 4th level maneuver Disappearing Elegance!!

Because the maneuver describes itself as moving at extreme speeds all across the area of effect, and the targets being simply any enemies within the area, does this allow you to attack enemies you don't have line of sight to (like being around a corner or behind a wall, so long as your area of effect is large enough to go around or over whatever obstacles you need to to get within melee range of those enemies)?

Does the area of effect for this maneuver basically count as a Burst or a Spread or an Emanation as per how certain spells work when determining how they react to obstacles and cover?
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:17:58 AM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Spread. I think you had already asked that in the Phantasy Star campaign during your first battle. Clarified just in case.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
It's just good to have it clarified in the actual manoeuvre's thread :)

Also I forgot if I'd asked before

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Can you combine your Pure Crafting stuff with the Yokai Forged Blades?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
No. The blades already come crafted in their own mystic style and it would be probably be somewhat OP if they stacked.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
LMFAO, did you post just for this?